4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Hyatt Carmel Highlands
Expedia.com Hotels.com Tingo.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• orcoastgirl's Profile Photo

Always a Great Stay Here!

We have stayed here several times over the past five years, usually celebrating an anniversary the first week of December. Each stay has been wonderful. We have had oceanview rooms that include a fully stocked small kitchen, jacuzzi tub, living area with a fireplace and spacious, roomy rooms that are almost like apartments.

The service is first-class, with turndown service, daily maid service and the beds are comfortable with down comforters and high quality sheets. The lobby area is beautiful with views of Pt. Lobos from the lounge area. In the evenings a piano player plays on the baby grand there. My husband requested the Beauty and the Beast song for me and it was very nicely done.

We have enjoyed several meals at the California Market and the Pacific's Edge. Both are very good, with Pacific's Edge being very elegant and a more special occasion venue. They have a tasting menu there that I highly recommend.

Everything about this resort is wonderful. Our last stay we booked under the Timeshare and our 3 night room stay was only $79/night and we listened to a 90 min. presentation one morning which was informative and interesting.

We looke forward to returning again and again to this exquisite property with stunning views of the California coastline.

Unique Quality: Spectacular scenery, jacuzzi tubs, 2 great restaurants, spacious rooms with fireplaces and kitchens.

Directions: The Carmel Highland's area

• Yaletown's Profile Photo

WOW!

This is one awesome hotel. Expensive but great for a honeymoon. The in room wood burning fireplace was great and the staff were excellent. If you are in the area and aren't sure, ask to see a room, you will probably do what we did and go for it.

• cherish's Profile Photo

Breathtaking view

Christmas 2004, my family and I stayed over. The service is great and the hotel is beautiful. Their restaurant, Pacific's Edge is among the top ten restaurants in my book, our Christmas eve dinner there was just awesome. The rooms itself are nice and cozy- not the lap of luxury but nice and comfortable enough. We had a split level room with the bedroom downstairs that opened up to a jacuzzi, a kitchen and two bathrooms- nice. All the rooms have fireplaces which was perfect that winter. You can hear the waves lapping as you sleep- its so relaxing.

Unique Quality: The view is gorgeous! And the restaurant is top notch.

• Robachu1's Profile Photo

Huge! Great fireplace! Great view!

This hotel is set on the side of a mountain overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Each room gives one the feeling of being in a separate cabin.

Unique Quality: Our room was wonderful. Huge and comfortable. We loved the wood burning fireplace and the enormous jacuzzi tub.

Directions: Carmel Highlands near Big Sur

More about Highlands Inn A Park Hyatt Hotel

A pleasant experience

My wife and I spent a lovely two nights in a two bedroom suite and enjoyed evry minute of it. The staff was wonderful and very helpful.
Not much road noise and no apparent heating problems. The lounge and the sunset was awesome and the food was excellent, with no reservation problems. Keeping in mind we were there in august. There was a discrepecie between the wine list in the room and what we discovered in the mian restaurant. In our case it would havee been better to pay the corkage fee. Ther is no doubt in our minds that we will be back.

Heaven on Earth!

by TripAdvisor Member marianne313

The Highlands Inn Park Hyatt was everything and more than I expected. We had a beautiful room overlooking the Pacific Ocean with a fireplace and the ultimate of privacy. The Market restaurant was wonderful and the outdoor jacuzzi was such a treat! Every amenity was perfect and the service was outstanding. I would highly recommend the Highlands Inn for a wonderful, romantic retreat!

Great facilities, horrible staff

by TripAdvisor Member SausalitoMack

I loved the layout of this hotel, and the location is beautiful.
However, I had a horrible experience. In fact, it still hasn't been resolved. After a wonderful stay, I checked out of the hotel and noticed a $150 charge on my room bill for room service I never ordered.
When I raised the issue with managment, they pulled the receipt and found that someone had order food for 7 people and didn't sign the receipt. Since we only had two people in my room, the manager apologized for the mistake and took the charge off my bill. While I was waiting for all this to happen, about 6 people checked out of the hotel. 2 of the 6 people also noticed mistakes on their bills totaling hundreds of dollars. All of the problems were worked out at the desk. I thought it was fishy, but wrote it off as coincidence.

When I returned home and received my credit card bill, I realized the Hotel had gone back and added the $150 charge back to my bill! I called the hotel and after being given the runaround, I was told the kitchen didn't have a record for the food going anywhere else, so they decided to charge it back without telling me! The hotel refuses to refund my $150.

$150 is not that big of a deal, I know, but the hotel really handled it poorly. In the end, I'm left feeling violated and ripped-off, after an otherwise perfect Valentine's Day weekend. I can only hope that people choose the equally wonderful hotel next door, the Tickle Pink Inn, and the Park Hyatt learns to treat their guests with more respect. If you do stay here, check your bill thouroughly.

Great view!

by TripAdvisor Member mgreene

We stayed at the Hyatt for two nights in March. The room was lovely - on the small side - but with a deck by the (heated) pool and another deck facing the ocean, I couldn't ask for more. Complaints about noise coming from the highway are legitimate, although the noise didn't bother us in the least. The grounds are lovely and the staff was great.
Definitely take advantage of the free bikes and take a ride to Lobos (the state park).

Romantic Setting, Beautiful Views

by TripAdvisor Member sbendernd

We went to the Highlands Inn for a romantic weekend get away and the experience met and or exceeded or expectations in most respects. My first impression was that they did a good job with the overall layout as buildings appeared to blend well with the surrounding hills and woodlands, which helped retain the natural beauty of the area. We stayed in a bi-level townhouse suite with magnificent, unobstructed views of the Pacific Ocean. The accommodation itself was quite large - 896 square ft. - and came equipped with a full kitchen; including a standard sized refrigerator, plates, glasses, silverware, wine glasses, a corkscrew even - basically anything you'd need - as well as a wood burning fireplace, and double wide spa tub - for sharing - to boot.
Probably the longest time I've ever spent in a hot tub in my life, but thoroughly enjoyable. The spa tub room itself was on the lower level, adjacent to the bedroom, with a sliding wooden door divider for added privacy. A potential drawback of the type of accommodation we had was that there was a full flight of stairs - approximately 16 in all - that one would have to negotiate between the two (2) levels. So it probably wouldn't be suitable for those who are not as physically fit. But as we were also coincidentally down during Easter weekend, I was also impressed by the personalized Easter greeting cards left for guests by the Inn. It was just a small gesture; but an added nice touch.
Otherwise self parking is a bit challenging, as open spots are not in ready supply; so I'd definitely recommend the valet option provided.
After departure, I did discover that our room rate charged was a bit higher than it was supposed to be. But management promised to credit back the difference. Overall, we really had a quiet, romantic experience here and would definitely like to return at some point.

Best Retreat in California

Not to be missed if you travel to Carmel. Wineries comparable to Napa/Sonoma with less tourists. Best view and food in Carmel, if you can get a reservation! I highly suggest making your reservation over a month in advance!

Comments