2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

4th Avenue & Mission Street, PO Box 1896, Carmel, California, 93921, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

• Avoid at all Costs

The most unprofessional & abrasive staff I've ever encountered. My family stayed one night at this dirty, worn down establishment and were running behind in the morning, when the maid walked into the room for the second time and just stood there. When we told her we were bringing the last of our things out she continued to stand in the doorway, making obscure and rude faces at us. Not a full minute passed when we got a phonecall from the manager, who spoke to my mother so rudely and extremely aggressively bullying us out. It was unbelievable. Ten minutes went by and we received another threatening call from him. When I went to speak with him he very abrasively and abruptly yelled over me to tell me he was the manager and everyone worked for him.
    The room has peeling wallpaper, dust & dirt on all the chair and counter surfaces in the kitchenette and bathroom, and filthy bedding. The sheets had stains, holes, and other worn down areas. The toilet paper isn't on the roll but stuffed vertically on top of the roll. Good times.

Unique Quality: Horrible staff and management. Appalling. And impressive filth & lack of caring about simple things in the room.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Wayfarer Inn - friendly and well located

We stayed in Carmel for two nights and chose the Wayfarer Inn as it was centrally located, had parking, and the room rates weren't astronomical. Their website contains information on all 18 rooms at the Inn, so you can pick and choose the features (and price) that suits you. Some rooms have ocean views, some have fireplaces, some are ground floor, some have kitchens etc

The staff were very friendly and full of advice and suggestions on things to do in the area and places to eat. A continental breakfast is served each morning and is included in the room rate. We had breakfast there the first morning, but weren't overly impressed so ate elsewhere on our second morning. Each afternoon there is complimentary cheese and wine for guests enjoyment, served in the dining area.

Unique Quality: We stayed in Room 18. It had a separate entrance, via the car park, and was more like a small apartment than a hotel room. Located on the first floor, the room had a large bed, lounge area, flat screen TV, modern bathroom, working fireplace and distant ocean views. The room was comfortable and suited our needs perfectly.

More about Carmel Wayfarer Inn

A Delightful Surprise in Carmel

by TripAdvisor Member SoCalDesertfox

My wife and I were "winging it" on a road trip with no plans or reservations on a rainy weekend in January. The nice lady at the Visitors Center put us on to the Carmel Wayfarer Inn and we were glad that she did. Hillary, the front desk girl, could not have been more pleasant or helpful, and the owners, Julian and Susan, made us feel right at home. We stayed in room #4 in the corner on the first floor and found it to be quite cozy with a large bedroom with a comfortable king sized bed plus a trundle bed which we didn't use this time since both kids are in college. We also had a full kitchen which we only used to store cold soft drinks and to make popcorn to go with the VHS videos from the Inn's free library, but it was a nice convenience anyway. The room had a fireplace which was a nice romantic touch and we used it every night of our stay. Overall, the room was very spacious yet quaint although the bathroom was a little dated and on the smallish side. There may have been a very slight bit of street noise during the night, but I usually sleep with earplugs anyway so it didn't matter to me and my wife seemed to sleep soundly as well. The off-season rates of $89/99 (Sat.) were very reasonable considering that it included a complementary wine and cheese reception in the afternoon in addition to the very tasty continental breakfast. This was a real value compared to some places we stayed at in Santa Barbara, Cambria, and San Simeon. We really were made to feel right at home! A testament to how much we liked the Wayfarer Inn is that we originally had planned to spend only one night but ended up staying for three. The location was perfect as it was walking distance to just about anywhere we wanted to go - just a block or two off of Ocean Avenue with all its shops and restaurants. Many thanks to Julian, Susan, and Hillary for making our stay so enjoyable. We will definitely be back!

Where's the Oceanview?

by TripAdvisor Member ACALIFNative

We just returned from a 2-night stay at the Wayfarer Inn Room #16. The staff was some of the most wonderful people we have encountered in traveling. It was raining so we could not enjoy the pretty courtyard and outdoor fireplace. The small room where breakfast and wine & cheese were served was quaint. The refreshments were wonderful and the banana bread was very good. I am a wine connoisseur so I can say the wine that was served covered all the bases by pouring a medium-bodied red and a crisp white.
Unfortunately, we were very disappointed with our room. We were guaranteed an ocean view and that was the last thing we got. I even asked the manager to come up to our room and show me where the ocean was. He said, "see right between those trees that is actually the ocean. Wrong! Guaranteed an ocean view room does not mean you have to search for it through the trees. Honestly, I never saw the ocean. For the price we paid, this place was not worth it. Oh yes, our fireplace burned like a few little matches, and all of the window handles were broken.

Typical Carmel Accomadations

by TripAdvisor Member djr76

I have always been puzzled by the accommodations in Carmel. They are a lot like Santa Cruz in the respect that they are mostly motels with names like "Beach Comber, Wayfarer etc.". It's either the lodge at Pebble Beach or a motel.

We stayed at this hotel during the AT&T Pro Am. For a room that would normally be in the $100 range we had to pay well over $200. This motel did try its best to put its best foot forward. They rooms have been lightly updated and have fireplaces and throw blankets but really underneath it all it is still really just a motel. It is not the type of room that you want to go back to and relax in. You go into your room to sleep only.

The staff is really wonderful and friendly and prepare a fantastic breakfast. I was really impressed with the variety and quality of the food. They also offer an evening wine reception (With $4.00 Trader Joes wine...this is what the front desk person told us, interesting sell). All and all it was okay but I probably wouldn't return.

Loved Our Stay

by TripAdvisor Member LoveMonterey/Carmel

My wife and I stayed at the Wayfarer Inn for our anniversary. The hotel is an older building blocks from the ocean and shopping. The room was like being at home - quality bedding, clean, yet relaxed. The staff was friendly and helpful. I am not a regular traveler, and do not have a vast experience of staying at hotels or motels. But the Wayfarer exceeded our expectations, and I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone who is looking for a non-formula, quaint hotel on the beautiful Monterey Peninsula.

Quaint Inn

by TripAdvisor Member tulipgirl05

We stayed here for 1 night while in the Carmel, Monterey area last week. It was suggested by the lady in the Monterey Visitor Center. NICELY maintained small Inn, centrally located to shops and restaurants!! Beautiful flower gardens in the inner courtyard. Room was bright and nicely furnished, gas fireplace made it cozy and was a welcome amenity on the cool night. Staff was VERY friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the continental breakfast and wine/cheese in the evening. Highly recommend this property!

Best bargain in Carmel

by TripAdvisor Member swtraveler2

This is a wonderfull place in downtown Carmel. It is a short walk to the shops on Ocean Drive and a long walk or short drive to the beach. The rooms are very nicely decorated and most have fireplaces. The continental breakfast is above average with hot waffles available. There is an excellent wine and cheese reception in the afternoon. There is a nicely decorated patio and adequate parking. You can see parts of the ocean from the top floor through the trees. There are many nice restaurants within a few short blocks. It is also very pet friendly. The only negatives are that the office closes for the evening and you may hear upstairs footsteps if you are on the first floor (the place was built circa 1920 but was recently remodeled). Finally, it is one of the less expensive B&Bs in the area.

Two thumbs up for the Wayfarer

by TripAdvisor Member Barry19

Just returned from a Memorial Day weekend at the Wayfarer. The gloomy, cold weather was mitigated by the warm and wonderful staff. Laura was the perfect host for the afternoon happy hour and Dennis was a wealth of information in the morning as folks planned their day. In particular, Dennis enjoyed discussing restaurants, both talking about the guests' experiences and his own recommendations.

The rooms were comfortable, showing some wear, but nothing unusual for a building of this age. The owners plan on upgrades to the rooms, we are told. The garden area shows the TLC of someone with a green thumb and attention to detail.

The AAA rate of $125 for a holiday weekend is a bargain. We will definitely have the Wayfarer at the top of our list when another visit to Carmel is planned.

Great find!

by TripAdvisor Member gaylestrip

This was a great place to stay and reasonable for Carmel. The staff was very helpful and courteous. Room spacious and clean and the bed was very comfortable. Walk to downtown a couple blocks, beach a few more blocks and a great little restaurant "'Le Escargot" right around the corner as well. Nice wine and cheese late afternoon and a great breakfast. (gms) Santa Ynez, CA

Cozy B&B Style Inn

by TripAdvisor Member vjgoobee

I stayed at this inn for my husband's birthday for one night. We had a very pleasant stay. We stayed in room 12. It's small but cozy. Beddings and decoration were different than the pictures but still very decent. I'd say don't expect the view as described because windows actually face the hallway. So you're more looking at guests walking by instead of looking at the view directly. All the rooms surround the pretty garden/patio though which compensate the view.

Breakfast room is also pretty. Breakfast is good. Staff are very nice.

It is a very quiet inn and the walls are thin. Everyone keep their noise down which makes it a very pleasant stay. Try to get a room upstairs. It's very nice to look down to the garden.

Comments