The Villa Resort

67-670 Carey Road, Cathedral City, California, 92234, United States

Satisfaction Poor

Good For No Data

More about Cathedral City

Iguana of mosaic tileIguana of mosaic tile

Travel Tips for Cathedral City

Civic Center ~ Town Square

by Yaqui

The Civic Center is one the town jewel for Cathedral City and it was designed by Thomas Gordon Smith Architects. Civic Center is a 68,140 square foot Civic Center that features a City Hall, Police Station, Chamber of Commerce and is the center of the town square. Lots of yearly events happened here and it is where the beautiful Fountain of Life is located.

Cathedral City City Hall
700 Avenida Lalo Guerrero
(760) 770-0340

Off of Highway 11

Cathedral Canyon Golf & Tennis Club (Public)

by Yaqui

This golf course is located right off from our accommodations. You can see it is all tree-lined along the fairway and there are strategically placed bunkers and lakes with the majestic San Jacinto Mountains in the backdrop. They are 27 holes and over 6,500 yards of championship golf provide challenging play for all golf lovers. Golf cars where coming and going along the road way and we were invited on many occasions to take part in a game. We didn’t because we were very busy keeping our boys entertained. Next time though:)

"Art of Harmony"

by Yaqui

This other wonderful mural is b y artist: Juan Chavez a Cathedral City High School Student.

Located on this side of the Coca Cola Building on Perez Road and Cathedral Canyon Drive

Cathedral City Chamber of Commerce
68-950 Highway 111
Suite 106

"Eternal Flow"

by Yaqui

This wonderful sculpture is of Stainless Steel Rings. Located right on the corner of E. Palm Canyon & Perez at Volvo Dealership. It is by artist: Mark Stasz.

Cathedral City Chamber
of Commerce
68-950 Highway 111
Suite 106

The heat got to me

by RCollins1205

"Dry but strangely green in places"

Cathedral City has to be the strangest place I have ever visited or lived in. I spent time with friends who recently moved there this yeat (2003) and was fascinated, curious, but ultimately bored. The heat is intense. The days start like an oven and by midday are like a blast furnace. During June and July the temperature most days exceeds 100 degrees F, and often reaches to 110 or 115. It is suffocating.

As incredible as it may seem, much of the Coachella valley is green and lush thanks to an extensive water project. It is said there are over 100 golf courses! I believe it.

Many people have pools and in the business districts misters spray water on willing people. Since California prohibits smoking in business establishments there are many al fesco eating places that take over the sidewalks. The same conditions prevail in San Diego where I live now and I am amazed at the population that smokes. Northern California is much different in this regard.

"A welcome oasis in the desert"

In the new city hall complex in Cathedral City there is a unique and beautiful water fountain. I spotted this attraction one evening on my way to the Mary Pickford theater just as the sun was setting. I resolved to return with my camera.

I was very pleased with the results. Facing the setting sun made for some dramatic shots.

Lest you be concerned the children would fall and injure themselves, fear not. The floor of the fountain is padded with dense foam so people (children) could walk or even run around on the floor of the fountain, which they do with great abandon. I was concerned to see them climb up the columns of the fountain since I could not examine the surfaces of these items, but they looked like semi-smooth finished concrete. Perhaps some sort of rough surface covered them.

I kept waiting for a disaster, but none occured. At the time I was photographing I would say from 20 to 25 children were at play. They ran, they jumped, they threw water on each other with no regard or hesitation.

The fountain is named "La Fuente de Vida" and I suspect one would find similar fountains in Mexico, but I don't know that for sure. Many of the art objects in and around the fountain are covered with brilliant colored tile set in mosaic patterns.

A much smaller fountain of similar design graces a small courtyard in Balboa Park in San Diego, California. Perhaps it is the work of the same artist.

Besides being a welcome oasis, "The Fountain of Life" is truly a work of art, and a playground for sweltering children. My hat is off to the city fathers in Cathedral City, CA. I just hope they never get sued by injured children.

I have to add as an afterthought that there is a sign prohibiting running in the fountain. I don't remember if it said anything about climbing or suing the city fathers.

"An iguana masterpiece"

I think this is an iguana. The water spouts cleverly represent the fin on the back of the reptile. Or at least I interpret the work this way. What do you think?

What is the correct name for that thing that sticks up on the back of a lizard? You can tell I am not a zoologist.

Comments