The legal drinking age in Chula Vista is 21 years. Anyone under that age may not go into a bar or night club--unless it also serves food.
This leaves little for young adults to do in the evenings. Just Java is an funky coffeehouse that caters to that in between age group. It is a popular place to meet people and it is also a cyber-cafe.
Just Java 285 3rd Ave. Chula Vista, CA 9191
They drive older cars, too
Some folks think that in such powerful country like the USA people drive new cars only. Nothing more wrong.
It's a car country. So a car is a car = vehicle used to drive from one place to another, nothing more.
Like in most well developed countries they don't mind (hmm... at least not so much) whether they drive 3, 5 or 15 years old car, it just to be a little comfortable and never must been repaired.
In Europe it depends on a country: in Germany Switzerland, Austria they never (OK, very rarely) drive older cars, they just love to change often their cars, every 3-4 years, I suppose. On the other hand, a surprise: in very well developed Sweden/Norway I saw quite a lot of older cars in use hehe. Am I wrong?
I was very surprised when I read in a car magazine once that the average age of a registered car was larger in the USA (over 10 years!) than in Poland hehe.
In front of Chula Vista Wal-Mart
What is there? Surely large parking. What else?
Usually you can find (at least in busy time = in weekend's afternoons):
- surely cars, a lot of cars: new and old ones, pick-ups, SUVs, hmm... no cabriolets (how do you call them in US? - I've forgotten), no limos as well hehe.
- people, a lot of people of various colours of skin, usually at least a little darker than mine :-), often speaking in Spanish but usually in English, not many families (is family shopping rare there?),
- a few young "strange-looking" boys (hippies or what?) just standing and talking (all the day?),
- "petitionors", I mean people who are hired by groups who want an issue placed on the ballot so the citizens can vote for or against that issue. A majority vote by the citizens is one way of making a law. Usually they seat by a table and wait for you (= they do not disturb you :-)
In contrast to my homecountry do not expect to find in front of a supermarket:
- ugly, small stores, street stalls, buffets etc. - they are all inside the supermaket in Chula Vista,
- supermarket security guards (is it correct name?) - hmm... are cameras enough? or they are secret = no marked uniforms? or... there are no thefts there? hmm... as I watched a lot of Hollywood movies they must be, am I wrong?
- people walking around and giving you a leaflet (? how do you call that paper spam?)
- people selling things from hand (how do you call them?) - hmm... it is not common in Poland now (and forbidden by law) but...
- kids offering you to wash your car's windows or to get your shopping cart back (for a coin you put to unlock it :-) - less and less common but at some places...
- people drinking beer - uncommon and forbidden by law now but...
- free bus stop (these buses take people to and from a supermarket for FREE) - no wonder, they all have cars in the USA hehe, in Poland not yet but... soon :-).
OK, enough, it's a Chula Vista page (not Poland) hehe.
Junior Hockey Team!
Roller Skate Land is home to Chula Vista's Junior Roller Hockey teams, The Hawks. There are several divisions:
Bantam 16 and under.
Pee Wee 14 and under.
Squrit 12 and under.
Mite 10 and under.
Hockey sessions are usually held on Monday evenings.
You may need to enlarge this...
You may need to enlarge this picture to see it properly. The little blonde girl is petting a sting ray. In the water nearby is a leopard shark bigger than the girl and a horned shark about a meter in length. Petting sharks and rays is the purpose of this pool. I think the point is to help people lose fear of these creatures. The animals are safe to touch. The species of shark in the pool are not a kind that bite. They have teeth that are flattened out for a different purpose. The sting has been removed from the tail of the stingray. The stingray seemed to be the friendlist. When it was close to a person it would practically rise out of the water for a scratch on the back. It was interesting to feel the different textures of skin on these creatures.