Hotel del Coronado

See Amenities
GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Very Nice Accommodations!

by written on September 25, 2014

I did not stay at this hotel (yet). The lowest one night stay is still over US$500. But, it is a nice hotel with lots of amenities, great restaurants and shopping. Our friends stayed over night and I took pictures of there room. We mostly hung out with them and ate at 1500 Ocean (the restaurant). It's a large complex right on the beach. Very nice place.

goodfish's Profile Photo

Posh and Pricey

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 23, 2013

My husband was overseeing some conference sessions here and so his company picked up the tab - which is probably the only way I’d ever have seen the inside of a guest room. "The Del” is one of those grand old ladies from another era - 1888 in this case - and on every listing of America’s most legendary hotels. With that sort of reputation, it can command rather, er, legendary prices as well.

We were given a junior suite - no balcony or view - in the main building (Victorian) with a sitting room, 2 flat screen TVs, spacious bathroom, coffeemaker, robes, mini-fridge and free wifi for our 2-night stay: very nice. To give you some sort of idea what we may have forked over on our own, this room goes for $533.00 for a Saturday stay in November, $666 per night for a weekend night in August, and a 2-night stay is mandatory in the summer months. Ouch. Other accommodations range from the smallest 200 to 290 sq. ft. rooms to beach villas netting out in the you-don’t-want-to-know range. Whatever the case, figure the rock-bottom price for that smallest room will run you over $300 a night with taxes and $25 per room resort fee, and that’ll be a week night, in the middle of winter, one queen bed and no ocean view.

So on to the rest of the property: pluses include the location on the best stretch of (public) beach on the island, a nice pool, spa, salon, lots of shops, a couple of indoor and outdoor restaurants, bars and lots of activities for adults and families alike. The minuses are that most of this stuff also comes with a price tag: the pool, beach chairs, movie night and a few other amenities are included (not free, considering the resort fee) but parking, bikes, beach equipment (umbrellas, boards, etc), pool cabanas, and most other amenities are extra, and the restaurants/bars are geared to fat wallets.

Some of my personal annoyances? They had a busy private-event calendar the weekend we were there, and public spaces, including parts of the beach, were often cluttered with the debris from their various functions - chairs, tables, electronic equipment, dirty glassware and tablecloths - left sitting around too long. Re-routing of other guests around these functions to the beach or other parts of the property was common, as was blocking of some outdoor bar decks and whatnot. Also, the windows in our suite were painted shut so we couldn’t open them to catch some fresh air at night, and if you’re going to sock me $7.50 + tip for a 12-oz tap beer, at least serve it in glass and not a plastic cup? Eeeesh.

In short, glad I had the experience but it wouldn’t otherwise have been a good choice for the type of amenities we look for/enjoy in an accommodation or the amount of time I spent elsewhere during the day. In you’re into destination hotels where the plan is to rarely leave the property and you’re prepared to pay for the privilege, then this one is for you.

VBLady's Profile Photo

Hotel Del Coronado - MAGICAL!!

by written on January 14, 2010

It was like a dream come true. My husband grew up on the island and hadn't been back since he was a kid. He's 56 now. And it was my first trip out to the west coast. I just loved it!! My husband loves to tell the story how his mom use to sit on the rocks (jetties) along the beach and watch Marilyn Monroe run in and out of her dressing tent on the beach while they were shooting "Some Like It Hot". What a wonderful memory to cherish!

Anyway, the grand hotel had such old world charm. The hotel staff was top notch... we were upgraded without even asking... only because they had better rooms available. Excellent service! And the dining experience onsite was one of the best I've ever had. Great food and atttentive, friendly servers.

I can't wait to head back west one day... and the Hotel Del will definitely be on my itinerary! I would recommend this historical landmark to anyone who visits the San Diego area... you won't regret it.

Disney Atmosphere - disappointing eateries

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 21, 2009

My wife wanted to stay at this hotel for nearly 20 years. After putting aside some… a lot of money, we went for our 20th anniversary along with our seven-year-old daughter.

Before leaving, my wife called the main number and asked if we would need reservations for dinning or kid’s activities. We were told that as guests of the hotel, we wouldn’t need them and it wouldn’t be a problem. Wrong! Dinning without a reservation was a problem and the kid’s camp was “fully booked” when we called to sign up our daughter.

Although the accommodations are nice, the hotel was crowded with so many kids, that it had exactly the same overwhelming feel as Disney World.

For the evening of our 20th anniversary we went to the “signature” restaurant 1500 Ocean. My daughter had taken a late nap, so we arrived shortly after 8:00 pm. Although, most of the tables were empty, we were told it would be a few minutes before we could be seated, because we didn’t have a reservation. After we were seated, it took a long, long time to get something to drink, some bread and to place our order. In fact my wife, who has the patient of a saint, began debating as to whether we should just leave and go to the “casual” restaurant, Shearwater instead.

In all, the meal took nearly two hours and we were forced to make at least three comments to staff about the inattentive service including asking twice for a waiter to come by the table. The food was good, but I am not exaggerating when I say that the service at our local Cracker Barrel is exponentially more attentive than what we endured at 1500 Ocean. Given the cost and ballyhoo associated with this “signature” establishment, the level of service was so far beyond unacceptable that I can’t begin to put it into words. The fact that the restaurant was nearly empty leads us to wonder how much worse service must be when it’s busy. Bottom line: Unless you want to spend an enormous amount of time and money for poor service, eat somewhere else. Shearwater was a much better experience, though only the dress is casual, NOT the prices. The best dinning experience we found was a place across the street called the Brigantine Seafood House. It was everything 1500 Ocean wasn’t and even though it was crowded, service was excellent as was the food.

Perhaps the most amazing part of our stay was when a fire alarm was triggered one afternoon. After my wife fled the premises with our daughter, she was actually admonished by concierge who told her that she should have waited in the room for instructions and that it would be a really “bad thing” if all of the guests headed for the exits upon hearing the fire alarm. Are you kidding me?!

I usually stay in average hotels when I travel (2-3 diamonds) and once a year, we try to go somewhere really nice like the Greenbrier or Grand. Overall, I’m not demanding and generally easygoing, but based on the five nights we spent at the Del, we have no desire to return.

lots of character, but overpriced

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 12, 2006

The Del has a lot of character and is a lovely building, but the food is at best average and is extremely overpriced. Service is generally good, but slow at times. We stayed in the Ocean Towers and had a nice room overseeing the beach. This of course meant that we got to listen to the various groups of military personnel work out and chant and sing on the beach starting at 5:00AM in front of our room. Oh well...

In any event, our stay was over all nice, but again, it does seem overpriced for what you get. and I would strongly recommend avoiding the kitchen and instead wander around the area for better food in Coronado. Mainly the Tomaso italian restaurant a couple of blocks down and the Night and Day cafe. The Tomaso is pricy, but well worth it and the cafe is an old throw-back diner and is quite quaint and charming.

Unique Quality: nice beach, pretty Victorian building and that's about it.

Directions: take the bridge onto Coronado and follow the street until reaching Orange ave. then turn left and it'll take you to the Del

ArizonaExpert's Profile Photo

Twenty years of the Del

by written on July 19, 2005

I have visited Coronado on and off since 1976. Don't even tell me about how we should have bought a place there. I learned that homes in Coronado are selling for 1000 a foot...not a square foot...a foot. But on to the Hotel Del.

Place really hasn't changed all that much. I stayed in the Beach tower and the room was nice, with plenty of space for 4. Bathroom was clean and devoid of all the signs of wear and tear.

I choked at the bottle of Aquafina water for $6.75 plus service charge and taxes. Geez...how about a name brand for that price?

Beach was nice and rental staff helps you with chairs and towels and anything else you need.

Unique Quality: Front and valet staff are great. Warm greetings and they always ask if you need directions before you leave. Housekeepers were also friendly.

The place is a little expensive, but it is what it is. The Del is historical, beautiful, and won't disappoint if you choose to stay there.

racheljapi's Profile Photo

The Sweetest Hotel in SD!

by written on February 5, 2005

The Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, California, is situated along 31 oceanfront acres on Coronado Island. A National Historic Landmark, The Del is considered one of America’s most beautiful resorts. Since its opening in 1888, The Del has attracted filmmakers, presidents and royalty. ‘Some Like It Hot’, starring Marilyn Monroe, was shot at the resort in 1958 and enjoyed renewed interest in 2000 when it was voted the ‘Best Comedy of All Time’ by the American Film Institute. Considered the Western White House, the resort has hosted ten United States presidents. One of the most famous visitors was the Prince of Wales in 1920. Sixteen years later, Edward abdicated the throne to marry Coronado resident, Wallis Simpson. Many have wondered if they met at The Del.

Today, the legend continues to unfold with the recent unveiling of the dramatic enhancements of a $55 million restoration. The restoration takes advantage of the resort’s spectacular setting by re-establishing The Del’s connection to the Pacific with an oceanfront lawn, new seaside restaurants, bar, re-designed Victorian rooms and the Cottages at North Beach, offering exclusive beachfront accommodations.

Featuring a fully staffed recreation department, the resort offers children’s programs, sports and recreation, fitness classes and seasonal activities. Guests can pamper themselves at the oceanfront Spa and Fitness Center with a variety of massage options and body treatments. Sailing and boating are offered at the marina and golf is available on the Island. The resort features a variety of dining venues offering award-winning cuisine, historic ambiance and premier beachfront dining. In addition, over 20 boutiques and shops offer everything from jewelry and toys to men’s and women’s clothing and accessories, as well as art and collectibles.

Unique Quality: The Del 's signature line of personal care and bath products
Turndown service upon request
Nintendo Game Cube
Daily newspaper delivery

During your stay, The Del offers:

Concierge services (for sightseeing, transportation, dining or other arrangements)
Baby-sitting
Airport shuttle
Car rental
Valet parking
Laundry
Dry-cleaning

Not only does the Del have numerous pools, an amazing beach, great restaurants and shopping, it also has it's own haunted room and ghost story. While the luxery itself is amazing, look up the true history of the Del. It's very interesting.

Yaqui's Profile Photo

Historical Beauty

by written on June 13, 2004

I have not stayed here myself, but many of my friends and relatives have staying here and gotten married here. They all said such wonderful things about the rooms, service and the historical splendid beauty of the place. It has such charm and grandeur about it. It is pure pleasure to just stroll around and take in the beauty this place has to offer inside and out!

Hotel Del Coronado Historical Marker No. 844

Unique Quality: The facilities are excellent and the rooms facing the shore have nice views, though their is a section that does not have nice views, but on arrival you'll figure that out. Make sure you request before making a room reservation.:-) Oh, lots of wonderful shops too!
Services:
Hot Tub

shrimp56's Profile Photo

It's just "The Del"

by written on June 10, 2004

"The Del" is one of those hotels where the experience comes close to matching the history and reputation. Since it was right across the street from our hotel we used "The Del" as our second home -- in fact doing everything but staying there! In our wanderings we did manage to look in a few rooms here and there -- nicely done.
You CAN stay at "The Del" in a smaller, no ocean view room in the original main building for $190. USD for a double, but the tarriffs rise exponentially from there.

Unique Quality: We enjoyed the public spaces, both inside and out. We walked along their beach boardwalk, drank at their bars, went window shopping [the rich DO shop differently I'll say...], ate breakfast in the small cafe in the cellar where we discovered internet access through 2 terminals tucked in a corner! [This was a BIG DEAL as the only other access we found was at the Public Library by reservation]
In particular we enjoyed the Babcock & Story Bar, esxpecially on Friday night when "old Coronado" came out to dance to the live music. It was a special evening.

Directions: It's hard to miss the iconic conical red roof!!

matcrazy1's Profile Photo

The most famous hotel of the West

by written on June 7, 2003

I didn't stay there (not for my budget) but I would like, maybe for 1-2 nights. I just visited that hotel - the interiors look very nice and the location in front of Coronado Beach and the Pacific Ocean is amazing.

As a National Historic Landmark, the Hotel Del has a rich and colorful heritage. From Marilyn Monroe to Charles Lindbergh, from state dinners to the ghost of Kate Morgan, The Del is a fascinating American treasure with over 115 years of stories to tell.

Unique Quality: Location, unusual wooden architecture.

Directions: At Coronado Island

acemj's Profile Photo

Hotel Del Coronado

by written on September 12, 2002

Unique Quality: If it's good enough for Marilyn Monroe and Tony Curtis, then it's good enough for me!
The 'Hotel Del' is simply one of the most beautiful hotels in the country. It's a National Historic Landmark dating back to the late 19th century. Over the years, it has been expanded and modernized, but it's never last its distinctive character and charm.

lmkluque's Profile Photo

Dripping in Luxury, Seeping History!

by written on August 25, 2002

The prices change depending on the season. This is a romantic place and worth considering, especially for a special occasion.

Soon there will be beachfront cottages as well as the various room types in the main building. There is a whole section next to the north parking lot that is under construction, so be aware that things will be a bit messy at that end for a time. Ask for a room in south section for the time being.

Update:

The Beachfront cottages, or Beach Village as it is now called, are finished and they are a very nice addition to the hotel.

Unique Quality: This is the oldest--or largest, I can't remember which--wooden structure in the USA. It is an historical landmark and the first to install electricity. It has been voted one of the top five resort hotels in the world and on top of everything, it is believed to be haunted!

This is a luxury hotel, and all the amenities are offered. There are several restaurants and a comfortable lounge off the lobby which overlooks the inner courtyard.

Downstairs is a small shopping mall and though the prices are high, this is no tourist trap, the quality justifies the expense. The Sun Deck has a wonderful promenade jetting out over the sand where you may sit, enjoy the view, order a drink or an expensive hamburger and at the west end of the deck, there are stairs leading to the Pacific Ocean . Valet parking is available at the front entrance, but expensive.

Many areas of this hotel are open to the public and if a stay here is beyond your budget, come for a meal, have a drink or just stroll around and enjoy the ambience at one of San Diego's most famous landmarks.

Directions: The Landmark Of Coronado Island!

Nearby Hotel del Coronado

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Coronado Travel Forum

Need advice about Coronado, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Coronado and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Coronado hotel reviews

Heritage Star Pine Tree
Star Park
Graham Memorial Presbyterian Church 1890
Things to Do
The Iconic Landmark of San Diego (2)
Things to Do
The Iconic Landmark of San Diego (1)
Main Commercial Area
Coronado-San Diego Bridge
Restaurants, Shops, Ferries
Things to Do
Coronado Public Beaches (2)
Things to Do
Stroll and Swim at Coronado's Public Beaches (1)