4000 Coronado Bay Rd., Coronado, California, 92118, United States

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

Pet friendly and great location

The Loews Coronado Bay Resort is a bit more expensive than most hotels along I-5 as well as being a bit out of the way, but the location is worth the effort. Rooms arevery comfortable and the hotel is VERY pet friendly. Granted you do pay for the "service" but your pet will think it's worth it too.

Unique Quality: Located on the south end of the island of Coronada, the Loews is quite a drive from I-5 but the incredible scenery makes the location a favorite of many. There's been a number of times I've not been able to get a room there due to the hotel being at FULL capacity of its over 400 rooms.

Directions: Exit I-5 to Coronado Island at the southern end to avoid driving through the entire island to get to the resort.

• marinarena's Profile Photo

Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous!

Whether you are honeymooning, taking a family vacation or just looking for a way to get "away from it all", book it at Loews. Expect luxury and beautiful scenes to the max at this resort, a short bridge drive from downtown San Diego.

Catch an off-season deal here in the fall and winter months especially. There are very good chances for room upgrade when there is low occupancy. Otherwise, in the busy tourist summer, expect to pay at least $200 and up for a room.

More of my Loews Coronado experience to come in a travelogue!

Unique Quality: Awesome Coronado bay views, 3 separate pools (for kids, adults and family) and jacuzzi, Sea Spa, on-site cafe, souvenir shop, tennis courts, ping-pong, teen lounge, close access to gondola rides, garden area

Directions: on the Coronado bay

• dland007's Profile Photo

AWESOME!

We stayed at the Loews Coronado Resort for 4 nights in mid-February. Check-in was prompt and the room exceeded our expectations. Everything was very clean, functional, and nicely appointed.

We only used room service a couple of times, but the staff was always very prompt and friendly. Like most resorts, room service food is a little pricey and includes a 21% service fee and $3 delivery charge.

Parking is in the basement of each building and we never had more than a few feet to walk from the car to the elevator. However, I was disappointed that the resort charged extra ($20+/day) for parking.

Unique Quality: As other reviews have stated, this resort is a couple of miles from the downtown Coronado action, however that's a plus in my opinion. The resort area is very quiet sitting on it's own peninsula. The area is gated (i.e. very safe) and includes a beautiful marina. The views from our room were of the bay and were exceptional - especially at night. Both downtown Coronado and San Diego were visible.

Directions: This resort is located a couple of miles south of downtown Coronado on 75 just across from the Silver Strand beach.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Stay Here Or Visit For The Day

I've never stayed here but have spent afternoons enjoying lunch at their restaurants and can say it is a lovely place.

All the expected amenities are offered and there are three pools. Their beautiful restaurants are open to the public so you can enjoy them as well without actually checking-in. My favorite is the Market Cafe, on the terrace overlooking the marina.

I have also been here to check it out for VT'ers considering a stay here. This is what I tell them. Loews is located on the Silver Strand, a built up road connecting Coronado to the mainland of San Diego at Imperial Beach.

This resort is not near the downtown section of Coronado, nor near shops and restaurants. The Silver Strand State Beach is just across the road from Loews so if an isolated spot near the beach sounds good to you, this is it.

I will mention two things that might be of interest.

1. Just outside the gates of Loews is a bus stop that will take you into downtown Coronado and the Ferry Landing.

2. If you have the use of a car, parking per night will add to the price of the room by about $30.00.

Unique Quality: Lowes offers quite a few specials that are quite tempting. Each season and off-season something is offered to entice you to stay. Check out their website to see if something interests you.

It's useless to give prices, as they change all the time. Just know that this is not a budget hotel nor the most expensive.

During the holidays Loews often times will offer a special package or even as in the past, at Christmas time, a reading of "The Cat In The Hat" by the Cat in the Hat has been offered free to the public twice nightly. Cookies and punch served after. I've taken my grandkids when it was offered and thought you'd like to know about it too. Phone: 424-4416 for more information.

Though Loews is more isolated, it seems to me that they make up for it by offering a comfortable place with some choice in dining and shopping. I like it here.

More about Loews Coronado Bay Resort

Don't go to Loews Coronado

The rooms were overpriced. Nothing was incuded! Coffee, water, & continental breakfast was $53.00. Parking $14.00 per night. Horrible rude service. Pet stains on the carpets. Chipped bath tub. Definitely does not deserve 4 star rating. Mobil Travel should revisit it to update the rating at Loews Coronado.

One of Several

by lmkluque about Market Cafe

The Market Cafe is one of three restaurants at Lowes Coronado Bay Resort that is open to the public as well as to the guests of the resort.

I especially like the dockside terrace seating over lookin the marina.

The others to choose from are Azzura Point, serving California Cuisine; La Cantina Bar & Grill, located poolside. Market Cafe opens at 6 a.m. and closes at 10:00 p.m. During those hours breakfast, lunch and dinner are served. Brunch is offered every Sunday.

Stay somewhere else

I was very disappointed with the Loews Coronado Bay! And I culdn't have paid less. It was a paid business convention and I still feel that whatever they paid was too much! Everyone would have been better off at the Hotel Del Coronado up the road. Last year our business trip was at Loews in Tucson, AZ and it was impeccable. In comparing the grounds and staff with Tucson, Coronado was a big let down. The staff seem indifferent and were NEVER pleasant. No one smiles. They charge $14 for self-parking or $19 for valet???? My bill was $76 just for parking!!!!
Rooms have ok view, but the weather was lousy, so maybe it's beautiful when it's sunny out. A couple of people had problems with their rooms and/or housekeeping and the hotel was helpful as they comped these people a total of 4 nights. If there are problems in the first place...
The hotel is situated on a peninsula on San Diego Bay, not right on the beach. You actually have to walk under a major road to get to the beach. A little wierd. And I know the prices aren't cheap there. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. There are better places out there.

Well maintained remote location with terrible cuisine

I attended a conference at this resort last week. If you think you don't need a car, think again. The hotel is about five miles from the Coronado Bay Bridge. It's a hike and at night, the cars zoom past you at 80 miles an hour. You need a car because the food is so bad and so expensive that you'll need to dine elsewhere. Coronado doesn't have a lot of choices and most of the restaurants rank about 2 of 5 stars.

The afternoon we check into the Loews, I receeved a message from the front desk. I thought they were going to welcome me to the hotel. No such luck. The message was this, "You've parked a car in our hotel and that will cost you $14 dollars a day". Room service was non existent.
The first morning, the food never arrived, the second morning, coffee for one *14.50 dollars arrived 45 minutes late.

The new spa is nothing special. Gratuitiy is already added so it doesn't inspire the attendant to work for a tip.

The hotel's grounds are lovely but you are indeed a prisoner unless you have a car. The concierge wasn't particularly friendly. Front desk and housekeeping were very helpful. Loew's needs some help with customer service.

Another tip, avoid dining at the Hotel Del Coronado, the food is a step up from frozen entrees.

Overpriced and surly staffed

$26 for a hamburger and hotdog with coke and milk; $10 for three tiny rolls for breakfast and on and on. Isolated location on a qreasy bay; not oceanfront; not on the water at all. Surly crew.

Loved this Resort

This hotel was fabulous. Very clean, lots of room, a wonderful japanese style tub. Every staff member that we encountered was very friendly and exceptionally helpful. The pool was very clean. We ordered room service for dinner and breakfast and I have to compliment the chef. The meals were exceptional. I would definetly stay here again. The price I got on the stay was also great. I have read alot of negative criticism about this hotel and was a little worried about going, but much to my surprise it was actually the best hotel stay that I have ever had. I loved the spa style shampoo's conditioners, and so forth. Went to buy them at the little market that they have and would you believe that one of the salesperson's gave me(free of charge) 15 sample bottles of the body lotion and body wash. Now that's what I call service! This is definetly a 4 star hotel.

Not very child friendly

by TripAdvisor Member worldtravelcat

Our ocean view was a construction view. I paid $385 a night for that!! I had read that this was a number one hot spot for families Family Fun magazine, Travelchannel.com). HA! The only thing family about it is for dad's and mom's on business trips to dump their kids off at the "child programs" IE... day care. I was dissapointed in how little family stuff there was to do there. What little they do offer costed a fortune! The beach is a 5 min. golf cart ride away. If you already live near the ocean I guess it's no big deal but we flew all the way from Ohio to experince the beach. It was not close by and the beach was not worth going to anyway. HILTON HEAD_ now that is a beach! The hotel didn't seem to mind the children but they weren't interested in them either. My husband made the comment that this may have been a really nice hotel 10 years ago. This hotel was featured in Town and Country magazine so I thought we couldn't go wrong. With three children in tow we needed a child friendly place. Not here!! Spend a little more and stay at the Hotel Del. It may stink too but at least it has some history. Oh yea, I forgot to mention.. $16 dollars per night for parking. That's $112 for the week we stayed. This palce is decent but not for the money. I would have felt good spending $100 - $150 for this palce. It's like they're trying to be ritzy but it ain't working!!!

San Diego-Coronado Bay BridgeSan Diego-Coronado Bay Bridge

Where to stay and things to do.....

by Hermanater

I was planning on sending my wife and her friend to San Diego as a Christmas present. They would be arriving around Jan. 8 - 10th. I picked San Diego because my wife has talked about Sea World. Other then that, where is a decent, clean modest (in price) hotel. Is it hard to arrange for a side trip to Mexico ?? What other things are there to do ? (They do like to shop :-)

RE: Where to stay and things to do.....

by YVRDave

Ken what is a modest price? 100? Lots of shopping and they can take the train to Tijuana for the day or afternoon
Nice gift.

by Hermanater

I am not sure what an average hotel price would be......A 3 star is what...$125 a night ?

This place starts at $99.00 for a corporate rate and 129 for CAA

by Jamesr3939

For hotels look along the Trolly stops downtown, Fashion Valley, and Hazzard Center. If they like to shop then they must go to Horton Plaza, it will take most of the day. Double Tree at Hazzard Center is nice. They can also take the Trolly to the border and walk across if they are so inclined.

by Hermanater

Which place are you referring to YVRDave ?

Ooops.
resortkonakai.com/

by BIW

In case you were going to have your family visit Tijuana in Mexico I heard recently on NPR (National Public Radio) that Tijuana has become extremely unsafe- day or night. I'm not saying it is or it isnt because I havent been there in a few years but you may want to check out that info.

RE: Where to stay and things to do.....

by gereegon

There's a Days Inn in Hotel Circle by Sea World, average price based on a stay from 01/08-01/11/07=$91.00, 2 queen beds. 1/2 mile from 2 malls, 5 miles from Sea World. If you really want to splurge, the Loews Coronado across the bay is beautiful on 15 acres for $189 a night. The Dana on Mission Bay has a free shuttle to Sea World, is on 13 acres, for the B&B deal, it's $169 a night; without breakfast for a standard non-view room it's $139.00 per night. I went on Expedia to check out the prices. There's old town San Diego, which is nice to see. I wouldn't send two women by themselves to Tijuana at all. Plenty enough to do in San Diego. Ditto on Horton Plaza for shopping.

Comments