102 L St., Crescent City, California, 95531-4110, United States

Kite Festival-Labor Day WeekendKite Festival-Labor Day Weekend

The jetty!The jetty!

quality of life

by witty

Hi, I'm considering moving to Crescent City, CA. Does anyone have a comment about the quality of life in Crescent City? I'm wondering about crime. When I visited it appeared to have a lot of homeless.
Thanks.

Re: quality of life

by brotherleelove

People who love Crescent City will hate me, but I've always thought of it as a dying lumber town with bad weather. True, the new prison has boosted the local economy, but for my money it's just about the end of the road. Its one saving grace is the redwood forests. They're spectacular. Some of the old groves in that part of the state are truly amazing. If you haven't checked out Eureka and Arcata a little further south, do so. Arcata has the added interest of being a college town (Humboldt State).

by jpeals

I was raised in the area and i want you to know that they isnt any better place to live anywhere. the weather is cool and you can go ten miles inland and get all the hot weather you can stand. you can fish,picnic, tour, relax,you can walk the many trails of the redwoods. Yes it hurt the area a great deal when the govt saw fit to take our jobs and close the sawmills but there are millions of redwoods that are unseen by human eyes simply because there is no way to get to them. it seems to me that the people that answered you before need to get an attitude adjustment. the people are very friendly in Crescent City and the area. As for crime i dont know what the statistics are for there now but show me a place without it and i will move there. There are homeless people everywhere. Use your own judgements. Where ever you live now has homeless and it has crime. it probably also has joblessness. it is everywhere. You are the one going to live there not any of us it is you that must make the decision but i would move back home in a moment if my family were not all here. Go to the Cornerstone Assemly of God and there you will find a very friendly group of people who not only love to worship God and meet new people but love Crescent City. Good luck.

by jpeals

there has only been one tidal wave in crescent city area i am aware of and that was almost 40 years ago.

by jpeals

The area of Eureka and Arcata are nice but there is too much traffic there for me. In Crescent City you are not that far from shopping in Medford or Grants Pass,Oregon. It is a nice trip over there and back. and tax free buying. if i were moving back i would still choose Crescent city.

Re: quality of life

by OaktownC

The only things I know about Crescent City is that it rains a lot, and it's the home of a maximum security prison that houses the state's most dangerous offenders and is the area's top employer.

Travel Tips for Crescent City

Expect to wait a lot.

by jzeidman

Super efficient customer service is not a practice here. Expect to get a glassy stare when asking for anything at all out of the ordinary. Even getting a sandwich made at Safeway was a chore.
Just be patient and enjoy the people watching-it's some of the best I've seen.

Small city but charming to visit

by photochaser

"About charming Crescent City"

CRESCENT CITY is located on Hwy 101 on the beautiful Northern California coast about 20 miles south of the Oregon border. The area offers an abundance of outdoor recreational activities utilizing the proximity of the Pacific Ocean, the Smith River and Klamath River, Redwood National and State Parks, and the Smith River National Recreation Area.
Summer coastal temperatures average 60 – 70 degrees, with inland temperatures much warmer. Winter temperatures average 40 – 50 degrees.

GregNicol's Crescent City Page

by GregNicol

I have lived in Crescent for over 20 years. I work all over the place, but have Crescent City for my Home Base. That is me in one of my drift boats on the Smith River, in the heart of the California Redwoods.

Comments