Marriott Laguna Cliffs Resort At Dana

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Beautiful Cliff hanger

Beautiful grounds, great location, walking distance to the marina and restaurants.
    Resort fees $20, valet parking $35 per night, no other parking available.

Unique Quality: Pool: the servers at the pool were very attentive. Everything was picked up as soon as someone left.Our order arrived quickly. Frequently they delivered samples of juices, smoothies, etc.

Breakfast: nice menu to chose from.

Lounge: great views to enjoy drinks if no wedding parties otherwise very crowded

Spa: loved it!

• CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

Gorgeous Hotel for a Romantic Getaway

The Laguna Cliffs Marriott is a gorgeous resort and spa with breathtaking views of the ocean! Being there reminded me of our honeymoon in Florida and the Caribbean. The overall feel of the hotel was an upper class vacation resort but still casual. I didn’t see any families with children. Guests were mostly groups of adults and couples. The rooms fairly pricey and I got the sense that many of the guests were affluent. The parking lot was littered with expensive cars. The space in the room was very generous and we had a patio as well. Our room was next to one of the 2 outdoor heated pools and whirlpools. There is also a bar and food stand poolside so you don’t have to go far to get refreshment. While we were there, my husband and I got a couple’s massage, which was heavenly. Their spa has everything you need to relax, including whirlpools, steam rooms, and saunas. We had breakfast at Vue, the hotel restaurant which overlooks the ocean. What a way to start off the day! I absolutely recommend this place for a romantic getaway!

Unique Quality: Gorgeous, gorgeous views of the ocean. Beautiful pool. Excellent restaurant.

• A good second

I admit it has been a few years since I have stayed here, but I have a few things to share. I liked the hotel. I loved the view. I happen to have gotten a AAA rate of about $100 off the rack rate, so that always makes it better. The linens were nice, close to the SD Coronado Marriott level I would say. A little older, but clean and well kept. It is not contemporary furnishing by any means, so if you are looking for a Ritz style, go there. This is what I would describe as California, tropical casual. It has the elegance or marble and nice linens, but the decor gives a feeling of ocean breezes and tropical waves ( not a contemporary, I'm in The Hotel Vegas feeling). The views are magnificant, but to get to the ocean is really pretty undoable. They may have a shuttle, I don't know. But if I am going to pay for a beach hotel, I want to be on the beach where I can run out when I want. If you are going, for the view and not the sand, this is a great place. It sits up high on a hill and without car, you can't access much in this remote location. The parking garage amount is high and they have all the resort fees, etc. ready to charge. This hotel is beautiful any time year, if you know what you are getting. Also, they have older rooms and newer rooms, many without a view. Ask what your getting for the price. I like this hotel, but get a deal or you will be disappointed. If you want the Ritz, go there. If not, this can be a great second if you get a great price.

Unique Quality: Great views from the grass area (good wedding venue!)
    Didn't see the pool.
    Food Average
    Customer Service...a little snotty at front desk.
    A little remote, need a car.
    Seems to always be a deal here, I'd find it. Not worth $200+ a night.

Directions: Right up the hill. You need a car to get to anything in Dana from here.

More about Marriott Laguna Cliffs Resort At Dana

Served its purpose, great concierge

Recently stayed here for a work meeting. The hotel is nice, but not as nice as shown on the website. I may have been a bit disappointed if I were a leisure traveler looking for a hotel on the beach with relaxing areas. It seems that the hotel caters to large corporate meetings and weddings which eliminates a cozy and intimate setting. The room was nice, clean and the coastal view was what I expected. If you like to walk or jog outside, the public park (with good stairs to run up and down) and nearby scenic areas are great. The views from the bar patio were very nice too. The bar cocktail servers were not very good or professional. We ended up going inside to order drinks after waiting a very long time. Two different servers walked by the table a few times without stopping to take our order. The front desk staff was very friendly and professional. The concierge Coleen is also wonderful. She tracked me down after my stay to let me know that an article I had left behind had been located. She also made great suggestions for dinner. I would go back because of the front desk staff and Coleen alone.

Family oriented hotel

by TripAdvisor Member emmajane7

First let me agree with the previous reviewer that the concierge, Colleen, is terrific, as are the bellmen and much of the desk staff. We were here for a business meeting (in the overflow group--other group at the Ritz). The setting is nice, with a pretty harbor view from many rooms. Our room overlooked the pool area, and beyond that the coastal area with a bit of ocean view. LOTS of children running around, enjoying the pool and hot tub, which made it a bit hectic for us. Several weddings during the long weekend we were there, which again raised the hectic level. Room fine, nothing extraordinary. Bed a bit too soft. Fine for the price we paid--about $150/night.
Sunday brunch decidedly mediocre.
However! Cap'n Dave's whalewatching trips as recommended by Colleen are wonderful.

Not a resort, but an ok hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DenverFrog

Stayed there as a get away weekend. I was warned about several things that turned out to be true. First, on Saturday there was no less than 8 weddings on the grounds and in the building. I think if they could sell the parking lot for a wedding they would have. I guess I did not realize how bad it could be. I realized they would pop you $25 for parking, but, I thought there would be street parking around. NO, the wedding guests take up the street approaching (which is a steep hill) The place was under renovation in the lobby, it is a little old. The room was OK, nice bright colors, good bed, decent size and a pretty good view. Only complaint on service was we could never get a paper delivered to the room even though everybody else on the floor got one. Don't think of this as a resort, far from it, but it is a decent hotel. It fit the purpose for us as a base to travel around and relax. It was cool that weekend, if it had been warm enough to hang out by the pool, then the weddings would have been a real issue.

Definately not a 4 star resort

I've stayed at this location on two separate occasions, both due to business. The room size and appearance is good; however, the noise level is horrible. The walls must be very thin as I heard ALL activities by my neighbors. When I requested a room change, I met much resistance and was told there were no rooms available. After further research on the Internet, I returned to the desk to note my findings and was then relocated to another room, which was not much better.

The second visit, I again met with much resistance (from the manager) when I requested a room change due to the activity in the pool during late hours.

Customer service at this resort is terrible. I have stayed at many resorts, including several Marriott locations, and this is a total disappointment.

I would not recommend this hotel for those of you who expect the services of a four-star rating. Set your expectations low if you must stay here.

Good points: surroundings are pretty. Room service was timely and the food was good and hot.

Excellent attention form the staff

by TripAdvisor Member ohana

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay here. Beautiful grounds, small but well appointed rooms;view was terrific from our room. Even the elevator had a good view! The staff is attentive and friendly. I felt safe there and the grounds were well kept and very clean. The hotel is situated on a hill by a nice park and close to great walking areas, the state beach and town. The fee for parking is ridiculous so if you don't mind the short walk, park on the street and save $22/night. The fitness center is one of the better facilities I've seen for a hotel/resort. I can see how the pool might be a bit noisey if there were kids in there late. The weather was cool when we were there so it wasn't too much of a problem. I must confess that we got a VERY good rate on a discount website so we thought it was well worth what we paid. I would highly recommend this hotel.

All about Location not Service!

This pretty property perched on a hill overlooking the dana point harbor sets expectations too high. Rooms were average and very noisy as they are situated around the pool or overlooking driveways. There is not enough staff to service the hotel-- painters in the elevator on a Saturday so a stroller can't even fit in, and almost non-existant maid service. We left our room for 6 hours and it still wasn't cleaned. Quite disappointing...even though the company paid. The only plus was that it is a short walk to community parks, the harbor, and the ocean beach. Don't pay full rates!

Horror Night!

First of all, we pulled into the hotel finding out that there was a fire that morning. The pleasant staff escorted us to our expensive room with a view of the parking lot. We called the front desk and asked to be moved to a better room with a pool view or an ocean view. They asked us if we wanted smoking since that's what was left. We said that's fine. What good is it to stay at a hotel near the ocean without having an ocean view. We walked into our room which felt like someone just put out a campfire in it. It was the most smoked out room I have ever stayed in. Put it this way I would rather stay at Circus Circus in Vegas. We then end up going to the restaurant for dinner to find out that our waitress pulled a houdini act on us and after taking our order she didnt appear again until like 40 minutes later. I ordered a $32.00 Rib Eye steak that showed up later on a plate drowning in grease. Let me finish before you gasp, there was a bone in it. It was the worst steak I have ever had. Back in our room later on after we watched a couple of movies and hit the pillow. The walls were so thin we could hear what the people next door were talking about until 4am. Not to mention the fact that they were staying their for prom. After getting ready to check out the next morning we receive our hotel bill and find out the bill had 54 movies on it and our bill was $945 for a night. My fiancee was fumed and called the front desk to complain about the mistake and they apologized for the mistake and promised to have a revised bill sent up to our room before we checked out. We then receive a bill from the bell hop and we open it and it states the we only ordered 25 movies and the bill was $570.00. I called the front desk and asked them about the change. The front desk clerk was going over the fees on the movies to see if they added a movie to our bill that we may not have ordered. She couldnt put 2 and 2 together and see that we could not physically order let alone watch 25 movies over our 19 hour stay. It was really unbelievable. She said she would get back to us if she saw a mistake. We then went to the front desk in person and got it fixed. The people were pleasant their but this hotel seems like it makes more money on People from Holland or Germany who would be willing to stay at a place near the ocean and and not care about a steak that would probably take 10 years off of their life. My fiancee and I stayted in hotels in Central America that were more primitive and had a much better experience. I would say if you are someone who wants a little bit of class and you want to stay near the ocean don' t stay here.

questions re: travel & car in dana point

by jacksgarden

I will be attending a biz. conference later this month (jan 06). The conf. is at the St. Regis. I really don't want to stay there. But have chosen to either stay at the Marriott (cliffs) with no car. Or at the DP Marina Inn & get a car. What do you locals think? Do I really need a car to get from the Marina or Marriott to St. Regis. And what about shopping or other local places. I'll be in town from Thurs. pm & leaving early sun. am. thanks for your help.

RE: questions re: travel & car in dana point

by travelgourmet

Both the Marina and Marriott are a drive to the St. Regis. The Marina, three story motel style hotel, sits north of the harbor area with shops and restaurants. The Laguna Cliffs Marriott is a larger resort but still close to the harbor area and the main shopping street. St. Regis sits further north and you could take a taxi from either hotel. Southern California is a drive to get where you want to go, area.

RE: RE: questions re: travel & car in dana point

by jacksgarden

I'm sorry - what do you mean a drive? vs. walking I take it. I wonder if I need a car. I figured a taxi back & forth from marina to st. regis 2-3 days would get expensive. I can rent a car for 4 days for $50. It cost more than that for shuttle to/from the airport. What do you think travelgourmet? thanks.

RE: RE: questions re: travel & car in dana point

by travelgourmet

By all means rent a car. Walking is out because of the time and distance. It's not like being in Rome where everything is convenient on your walk. Also, if you wanted to visit Laguna Beach (great tourist town), further up the coast to Newport Beach (yacht harbor and the Fashion Island shopping center), San Juan Capistrano, etc. a vehicle is a must.

RE: questions re: travel & car in dana point

by HarmoniousBotch

You are in southern California, therefore you must have a car. It's that simple.

BTW, when in Dana Point, eat at Cannon's. The food is ok and the view is spectacular.

Comments