1 Ritz Carlton Dr, Dana Point, California, 92629-4205, United States

Costs 48% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel

Chilled by the beach

by shamu

This is the place that you can really relax, just listen to the wave and have cool breeze on your face. Although I dont have much time since I was here for a conference. But still I really enjoyed and relaxed, of course after the meeting. Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel hotel is located on a very magnificant landscape. In the afternoon, I saw dolphins swimming by very near the beach.

Our expectations were too high--DISAPPOINTED!!!

Given that it was the Ritz Carlton's supposed "flag-ship" hotel, we were extremely disappointed. The hotel was run down, overcrowded and disorganized. The rooms were worn out and the decor dated. The bathroom smelled like a public washroom. We were warned about their current spa renovations but didn't expect the ocean view to be blocked by a massive drill. We were also disappointed that the ocean view consisted of sharing it with all your hotel neighbours. In other words, I expected the balcony to provide some privacy which it did not. The only positive remark I have is -- we really enjoyed their restaurant. The service was good and the food very good. They even provided the children with their own kid-friendly buffet. After deciding to check out and cut our losses, we learned that they intend to renovate in the next year or so. All I have to say is "It's about time and long over due"!!!

A Perfect Five Days

by TripAdvisor Member Barbara45

We just returned from spending five nights at this beautiful hotel located right on the most magnificient beach in the world. Despite the renovations of the spa which is right by the pool, we had a fabulous time. We loved the beach so much we had no desire to hang out at the pool anyway; but, I can see where this hotel will be off the charts fantastic after the renovations. First of all, upon making the reservations the clerk offered on her own the 5th night free and waived the $20 a day resort fee. They told us upfront about the renovation and about a week later we received another phone call to let us know. Therefore, we were not irked at all about the renovations. The shuttle service down to the beach was well organized and you could use their umbrellas and beach chairs. After the horrible service at the St. Regis last summer, this was a welcomed relief. In any case, the beach is so close that you can walk down in five minutes.
Plus, the very best part of our stay was being on the Club Level where there was constantly food out for our enjoyment the entire day. The service was impeccable. They made strawberry daquiries for our kids and we had Lemon Drops and Cosmo's that were out of this world. You could also request Latte's. They offered us bottled water as we departed each day. As soon as we checked out, I wish we could have started the whole five days over. We almost didn't come back to Dana Point after the horrible experience at the St. Regis--I am forever glad that we found the Ritz as that is where we will always stay from now on.

Banquet hall with hotel rooms

My husband dubbed it "the banquet hall with hotel rooms. " We should have heeded other tripadvisors' warnings. There were 7 weddings the day we checked in last week. This translated to many roped-off areas or avoiding being photographed with our bathing suit cover-ups in someone's lovely wedding memories! As well, it meant tipsy revelers in the wee hours accompanied by the sounds of staff "breaking down" the set-ups for the various festivites. The construction of the new spa -- of which we were forewarned by tripadvisors as well as a personal phone call from a Ritz staffer -- was the least of our troubles. Encouraged by prior experiences at other Ritz Carltons, I asked to preview the Ritz Kids Camp. I was informed that there was no specific Ritz Kids room -- standard and lovely in other Ritz Carltons, where kids enjoy a dedicated room with board games, computer games, arts and crafts, even special playgrounds and splash pools. At Laguna, the Kids get to meet in an unused hotel room, depending on availability ( I couldn't help but wonder if they tossed them a TV remote and asked them not to fight it out!) . In our case, the hotel was 100% occupied, so the kids were to assemble in the fitness center (under construction) and head off to the various activities. This meant we parents would have no idea where they were based ( or enjoying down-time or lunch). No thank you. Our other disappointments were rooted in the physical design of the older (and likely historic) nature of the facility. While enjoying an oceanfront location atop a 150 foot bluff, if one was not fortunate to enjoy an oceanfront room (we were not), one would not even know the ocean existed. Instead, the rooms are wrapped around the interior courtyards --pleasant enough, but occupied by or adjacent to private events. The large pool has lounge chairs 3 rows deep -- evocative of a crowded cruise ship. While the mature vegetation and architectural character are appealing, it just didn't cut it for a family vacation with kids -- especially considering the nearby alternatives and experiences with other Ritz Carlton properties.

Wish I was still there...

Stayed here Sept. 7-10. Midweek seems to be a great time to visit this property. It was quiet and serene. The ocean views were incredible. The room was very comfortable and luxurious. The bed linens and featherbed guaranteed restful nights.

This was my first time staying at a Ritz, and I was not disappointed. The service was impeccable. Food at the Terrace for breakfast and dinner was very good. The complimentary beach chairs, umbrella, and shuttle service were great perks.

I look forward to returning to this hotel someday. It was very special and romantic.

Countdown to a prestigeous getaway...

Wish I was still there ....$Top Dollar is the topic, yet this particular Ritz-Carlton hotel is simply FABULOUS! The rooms are very inviting, warm, with a flare of royalty enhanced by it's breathtaking ocean and sparkling coastal inland views complimented by impeccable service, hands down. But, you must be certain to pay a visit to this luxurious resort accompanied by someone *true to your heart, because come nightfall, under a mild moonlit sky, when that cool rising marine layer caresses the beachside with it's intoxicating energy, there is only one way in which a person can depart this Ritz-Carlton property, and it's through genuinely feeling enriched and enlivened by the total experience of it all.
Will *I return, absolutely! Plans for yet another exciting visit are being made for the Holiday Romance Package offered through the entire month of December. Cannot wait to delve into all of the super fine amenities again! Especially the Ritz's featured, *Trevie. bath gels and lotions.
s.e.r. Very, very Rich!

Don't believe the hype

Friends had raved about this property, but we were disappointed. It's a huge hotel, but it doesn't seem equipped to handle the volume of guests that were there during our stay. For example, we waited to use the equipment in their small gym. Then we waited a long time to be seated for breakfast. Then we waited so long to be served that we ended up leaving without getting any food! The rooms are beautiful, but we had to walk for what seemed like miles to get to our room. We also enjoyed walking on the trails around the property. I wrote to the hotel about our stay, and never heard a word back!

Irresponsible

Terrible service. That was my experience at the Ritz Carlton. I was married and held my reception at the Ritz Carlton. Not only did they lose my mother's dress and my father's tuxedo for the wedding while transporting their bags to their room, they treated my family and several of my guests with disrespect. Because there are so many weddings held at a time, the valet service is sluggish at best. One of my friends waited over an hour at 1:00am in the morning with their baby before they finally given back their car. They also lost another friends car keys. We wrote a letter to the hotel manager and our complaints were met with excuses and were discounted.

Relaxing Trip

by TripAdvisor Member glennjudy1

Stayed for three nights over Easter weekend with my wife and two daughters (ages 5 & 6). One overriding comment is about the views. We had an oceanview room and the view was spectacular. The rooms were very nice, well appointed but not the largest rooms we have stayed in.

Valet, bell service, and front desk were all very professional and helpful. The concierge was average, did not seem to want to go "above and beyond". Asked about Easter "happenings", was handed a photo-copied list of events (several that had already occurred). Later, asked about having an Easter basket made for my kids and they referred me to the gift shop. The gift shop then said that they do not make Easter baskets.

Dining was wonderful, from their Club Grill to the Terrace to room service, we enjoyed each several times. My girls enjoyed the kids club, even though the kids club was meeting in the concierge level club room temporarily.

The renovations were still happening but I did not notice except for the fact that the spa was temporarily relocated and my wife decided not to use it.

Overall, an excellent stay. We stayed on the American Express Platinum program and we will definitely return.

Not Worth the $$

My husband and I stayed here for one night for our 21st wedding anniversary. Unfortunately, parts of the hotel were being renovated and the entire place was in an upheaval. Upon check in we were coldy greeted by the receptionist and not made to feel welcome at all. We had reserved a standard room at a ridiculously high rate but were upgraded to an ocean view room that was one of the smallest hotel rooms we have stayed in. Construction for a new workout area was going on right next door to us and the "spa" and "gym" had been moved to tiny hotel rooms right across from our room. It was very noisy and unappealing. The rooms were outdated in decor and not pleasing to the eye. We had breakfast in the only dining room available and were greated coldy there, as well. The food was only marginal and the service was deplorable. We couldn't wait to leave. Never again.

Family on SurreyFamily on Surrey

Scenic view.Scenic view.

Sea lions.Sea lions.

Little birdLittle bird

Bars/Pubs showing the Carling Cup final (Soccer) in San Clemente or nearby

by goodpass

Hi there,

Ive just arrived into America and realised that it can feel like a million miles from home especially when I cant follow my beloved Football (soccer) team.

Do any of you know if there is a pub or a bar that would be open at 7am (PT) this sunday (27 Feb 05)in the area of or near to San Clemente here in Orange county showing the cup final between Liverpool Fc and Chelsea??

I know its a real long shot but its worth a shot asking you!

many Thanks,
GP

RE: Bars/Pubs showing the Carling Cup final (Soccer) in San Clemente or nearby

by Roadquill

You may try the following:

Patsy's Irish Pub - 9.3 miles NW - 28971 Golden Lantern, Laguna Niguel, 92677 - (949) 249-2604

Molly Bloom's 2391 South El Camino Real
San Clemente, 92672
California
(949) 218-0120

Of course, you never know if they will show English football in an Irish bar. :-)

I would call and see if they are going to show it.

Karl