Death Valley National Park Hotels

Our Members Say

• Madasabull profile photo Madasabull
  • Reviews: 232

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Budget Inn Motel Mojave: Nearly there, around the next corner!

We worked our route out so that we could travel through and around Death Valley, and continue through more desert like landscapes until it was far too late in the evening for us to drive anymore, then we would find somewhere to stay.

Well, this hotel is 4 hours drive away from Death Valley National Park, and yes I know it's not very handy to be viewing Death Valley if you plan on staying a few days to do that, but really, you only need one day to do that in my opinion.

If your on a road trip or plan on seeing other places other than Death Valley, then you might be looking for digs a bit farther away like we did.

This Motel was basic, really basic, but it felt clean. It was dark when we arrived, and we were the only guests. We awoke during the night to the sound of a thundering train. It must have been 10 miles long, or longer :) In fact so long, that I bet it was still leaving he station in LA as it got to us.

It was only in the morning did we realize that there was a train track on the other side of the road from the Motel. We slept well other than that.

I went to pay in the morning, and I rang the door bell to the office and knocked on, but no answer, then I turned my head away for a second, turned back, and one of the staff was stood on the other side as if she had been there all the time. She had no emotion or movement, and made me jump.

I paid, and as I left the office, I saw a tow-truck parked up, and the driver was stood in the Motel carpark, on his mobile, and looking at my nice new rental car. He then saw me, put his phone down, got in his truck and took off. Made me think he was going to snatch my car, and maybe he was until he saw me, who knows.

Anyway, we had a good, if not basic night, and although it seemed a bit Batesie, we would stay again if we were near. The price was cheap as you would imagine too.

• Related to: Adventure Travel, National/State Park, Road Trip
  • Written December 17, 2013
Tip Photo

• kastoriani profile photo kastoriani
  • Reviews: 36

Dow Villa: Good accommodation in Death Valley area

Spacious room. Clean. 2 double beds, cable TV, small fridge. Friendly staff. Comfortable lounge. Walls covered with John Wayne and other Western film-related photos. It's a bit of a drive though to the highlights of the Park.
Lone Pine is a town with character. I was the base for Western film crews. Pleasant walk through the main street. Good amenities (food, gas, drugstore, gift shops, etc.) within walking distance from Dow Villa.

Western film history.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking
  • Written April 24, 2008

• sacking profile photo sacking
  • Reviews: 23

Panamint Spring Resort: Rustic but Nice

Planned a 4 night stay in Death Valley. First night was at Panamint Springs Resort and then onto Furnace Creek Ranch. Panamint Springs has had some negative reviews but I took a chance since some of the reviews said that there was a change in owners in March 2006. The place isn't bad at all. Especially considering the price. The new owners are working to fix up the place and that will take time. But the room was clean, bathroom clean and the people there were very nice. This is a good place to stay if you want to do things on the west side of Death Valley. Darwin Falls are nearby and the Panamint Springs Sand Dunes are close as well. There are ghost towns and great canyons to hike nearby. Restaurant was crowded and food was good. Definitely worth giving it a shot, espcially since the new owners are trying to fix the place up. Now don't expect phones in the rooms or TVs either. This is really like staying in Death Valley, not a resort hotel. Rooms are small but provided everything I needed for a nice night stay.

14 Unit Motel

Sand Dunes near Panamint Springs Resort

• sacking profile photo sacking
  • Reviews: 23

Saddle West Hotel Casino, Pahrump NV: A bit of a drive but nice accomodations

Hotel in Nevada, so it's a good 45min drive to Death Valley, but it's a beautiful drive and accomodations were nice, clean and relatively quiet. Hotel only has one restuaruant, so I ate other places as it was too crowded as far as I was concerned. Also convenient to Red Rock in Nevada, so you can hike either place.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Road Trip, National/State Park
  • Written December 10, 2006

Sunrise from Saddlewest Hotel

• mcpangie profile photo mcpangie
  • Reviews: 615

Motel 6: Death Valley is a Short Drive From Vegas

It's only about an hour and a half to the park from Las Vegas. I stayed at Motel 6.

I noticed a lodge and plenty of campgrounds within the park. But for the tourist that doesn't want to sleep on the ground in 125 degree weather (ah!) you can stay back in Vegas.

In March 2005, it was a low 80 degrees.

• Related to: Family Travel, Desert, National/State Park
  • Written March 24, 2005

Motel 6

• goingsolo profile photo goingsolo
  • Reviews: 2750
Panamint Springs: Panamint Springs

Panamint Springs also has a small motel that provides lodging for the east portion of the park. Its open seasonally and has limited availability due to the fact that this is a less popular area of the park. There is a bar/restaurant here, but no gasoline is available. If you're heading this way from Furnace Creek, make sure to stop at Stovepipe Wells and refuel.

• Written December 8, 2004

Death Valley National Park

• goingsolo profile photo goingsolo
  • Reviews: 2750
Campgrounds: Campgrounds

There are at least a dozen campgrounds scattered throughout the park. Many are only open seasonally, but Furnace Creek , Emigrant and Wildrose stay open all year and are the first to fill up in the high season (Oct - May)

• Written December 8, 2004

Death Valley National Park

• Andraf profile photo Andraf
  • Reviews: 404

Burro Inn: Outside the Park in Beatty NV

One of our trips to Death Valley was on President's Day weekend and because we decided only a week in advance to go there we couldn't find any accomodation inside the park. So we looked for a place to stay nearby and found Burro Inn in Beatty, Nevada. What can I say? It's certainly ok for the money (we payed $40/night for a double room). The room was clean and had air conditioning, cable etc. There were some problems with the hot water but my guess is that it was due to the fact that the entire inn was full (well, it was the President's Day weekend). The inn is about 35 miles away from Stovepipe.

• Related to: Budget Travel, National/State Park
  • Written May 28, 2004

Burro Inn, Beatty NV

• Echo_29 profile photo Echo_29
  • Reviews: 213

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Geologist Cabin: The Cabins of Death Valley

Throughout the backcountry of Death Valley you'll any number of abandoned old miners cabin that are available on a first come, first serve basis. Many of the cabins have been adopted by groups and are in pristine condition and many are barely standing and possibly infested with rodents (see Warnings and Dangers: Hunta Virus).

This particular cabin is located in Butte Valley at Anvil Springs and is one of the most well kept and beautiful locations in the park!

• Related to: Desert, National/State Park, Camping
  • Written March 14, 2004

Butte Valley View

• annk profile photo annk
  • Reviews: 794

Furnace Creek Inn

A 4 diamond resort listed in the Register of Historic Hotels. It was built in 1927 by the Pacific Borax Company. Very pricey and rates range from $240-$370 a night depending on view and time of year. Rooms are nice but wouldn't consider them to be of 4 diamond caliber.

A very good restaurant & lounge are on the premises. There is also a gift shop and spa services available.

A beautiful, historic hotel that blends into the desert surrounding. Adobe bricks used in the construction of the hotel were created on site by Native Americans.

Views from the lobby, balcony and some guest rooms are excellent.

The pool is fed by natural hot springs and is a constant 82 F. No chemicals are used so the pool is drained a re-filled every other day. Two fireplaces on either side of the pool are lit at night.

A palm oasis and garden exist in the center of the property.

Worth a visit even if not staying at the Inn.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Desert, National/State Park, Road Trip
  • Written January 2, 2004

Furnace Creek Inn

• annk profile photo annk
  • Reviews: 794

Furnace Creek Ranch

A good location in the oasis where the most amenities exist for those visiting Death Valley. There are 4 restaurants, 2 lounges, a museum, visitor's center, general store, golf course & horse back riding all within walking distance.

The motel is open year round, rates range from $105-$174 and views vary and could include the pool or golf course. Swimming pool is a constant 82 F and is spring fed.

Lodging is pricey in Death Valley so many opt to camp.

• Related to: Road Trip, Desert, National/State Park
  • Written January 2, 2004

Furnace Creek Ranch lodging

• mht_in_la profile photo mht_in_la
  • Reviews: 881

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Winnedumah Inn: Classic and inexpensive

This beautiful inn is more like a bed and breakfast, but it's also a hostel. It's located in the town of Independence in the eastern Sierra. Although I list it under Death Valley, it's still pretty far out, about 50 miles from the park boundary. It's built in the 1920's, which makes it about the same age as Scottys Castle. But it's well maintained, and I enjoy the southwestern decor very much.

The price ranges from $50 to $70, but if you indicate you want a "hostel" the rate is only about $20 (I paid $22.9 including tax in 2001). The hostel room is almost the same as the regular room with complete privacy. The only difference is that you share the restroom with the room next door. It also has a nice restaurant with beautiful dining room and great food.

• Related to: National/State Park, Budget Travel
  • Written December 13, 2003

Winnedumah Inn

• mht_in_la profile photo mht_in_la
  • Reviews: 881

Happy Burro Hostel: Staying in a hotel brothel

I stayed 2 nights in Happy Burro Hostel at Beautty, Nevada. It's inexpensive but relatively inconvenient because it's still 40 miles from Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells.

The hostel had a sign indicating the building, a historic landmark, used to be a brothel. Good that I didn't find any used condoms under my sheet. For both nights I didn't see any other guests and I had a whole room to myself with complete privacy.

• Related to: National/State Park, Historical Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written November 30, 2003

Happy Burro Hostel

• dln6874 profile photo dln6874
  • Reviews: 163
HI-Desertaire Hostel-AYH: Death Valley International Youth Hostel

The trailer room converted hostel has 2 rooms - one for boys and one for girls. You are in the middle of nowhere, and there is not much to do in the immediate vicinity of the hostel. However, since the hostel is so small, it almost feels as if you are at home or in a friends home. If you have a car, the hostel is a great base for Death Valley (1 hr by car) and Vegas (2 hrs by car).

There is a high platform behind the hostel where you can climb up at night to star gaze.

The bathroom is a standard size bath (nice change in comparison to usual hostel bathroom sizes).

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip, Backpacking
  • Written May 7, 2003

The Death Valley Hostel

• vytisknight profile photo vytisknight
  • Reviews: 36

Campground

After camping in the middle of nowhere the campground was a welcome site. Three buddies in a two man tent. The first night in the campgound, we were sleeping and someone was yelling at us to wake-up. We greeted the individual. He told us that if you leave your boots outside the tent in the morning do not be suprised if baby scorpions are in the boots. Hey, thanks for the warning. Once again, Las Vegas is four hours away with showers. Seven days without is a long......long........long time. But this trip brought three friends together for a lifetime. An expierence of fun and adventure to make us all wiser and stronger.

• Written January 14, 2003