Highway 190, , California, 92328, United States

AMOMA.com

Costs 77% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• Dramaqueen2's Profile Photo

Just like being on the moon

Stayed at stovepipe wells, Death Valley in march 2012. It was amazing. After a long drive through Death Valley we were desperate to stretch our legs. We arrived too early to book in however reception provided towels and we were able to use the swimming pool until we were ready to check in - which was a godsend as it was so hot. There was also a shaded area that you could use.
    The rooms were spacious and had aircon. We checked out the saloon bar which was quaint. They'd never heard of a chip butty!
    Free wifi was provided in the reception area but if was poor quality.
    We were able to see one of the best sunrises I have ever seen. We felt lucky to be there.

Unique Quality: Sunrise on a morning, fabulous. No light pollution whatsoever. Views from every direction. Everything looks so alien when you're not used to areas such as death valley

Directions: Just keep driving you can't miss it. I think there are only 3 or 4 hotels in death valley

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

A Motel in the Valley of Death

Stovepipe Wells Village is a decent motel in Death Valley. We stayed here for two nights in June 2010.

We had a deluxe room with 2 double beds and a Sand Dune View, although the view was not really worth the mention. The room were plenty big enough for us two and was clean and tidy. We stayed in one of the rooms in the Roadrunner building.

Breakfast was great, with plenty of fruit and yogurt followed by scrambled eggs, sausage patties and bacon. This set us up treat for the day ahead

Unique Quality: One good thing is the lovely big swimming pool. A real treat to cool down after a day in the hot desert.

A short walk across the road is a good general store, where you can buy your "Hike or Die " t-shirt.

The motel has it own restaurant, the Death Valley Diner. We were there in the summer off season and so the menu was a bit restricted. The bar did have a good Death Valley Pale Ale.

• oldtrailmaster's Profile Photo

Stovepipe Wells Overnight

Although I nearly always camp primitively when I'm out in this rugged backcountry, one year a while back, my 77 year old mom accompanied me for four days of backroad travel in Death Valley National Park, necessitating motel stays. She was not up to camping.

On our second evening, we stayed at the Stovepipe Wells motel. The accomodations were fine, nothing fancy mind you, but basic well-kept motel. The restaurant was excellent, with a nice rustic ambiance that made us think that an old prospector could come walking through the door at any time. It was an enjoyable stay for the two of us.

The night prior, we stayed at Panamint Springs Resort, which was very rustic and old, but their restaurant and service was outstanding also. After Stovepipe Wells, the subsequent evening we stayed at the Furnace Creek Inn, which was fancier, yet the restaurant was not as good as Stovepipe.

I recommend these motels for folks who like a rustic experience in a rugged National Park.

• gilescorey's Profile Photo

Renting a Room Inside the Park

My December trip to Death Valley was very last minute. As such, I didn't make reservations, anywhere. I stopped at the Panamint Springs Resort before entering the park - booked. Ah, well, I think. I'll drive in, try Stovepipe Wells(fat chance, right?), and if I'm forced to drive all the way to Nevada or Ridgecrest for a room, that is my own doing.

BUT, I pull into Stovepipe Wells, ask for a room, and get a single for $70 +tax...at 4:PM. When I say Death Valley is a under-visited National Park, I mean it.

Unique Quality: The room(pictured in 2nd pic) was basic and rustic, as one might expect in such a remote location. A/C was included(wall unit), and it was much like a glorified summer camp. No television. I don't think there was even a phone. For me, this was liberating and the ideal stay for such an austere location.

There is a common room with board games and vending machines, a saloon(that I frequented), a small restaurant, and a lovely pool where I swam off the desert dust off under the moonlight.

Some of that dust might've been from the room, itself. That was my one gripe: room could've been cleaner, and considering the U.S. has farmed out the management to a private company(Xanterra), I want a little more for my tax $$.

Still there are only a few rooms available in the Park, so if you're not camping, Stovepipe Wells is probably for you, and the general store across the street makes The Village ideal for starting your exploits.

Directions: On the main road entering the Park from the West/Panamint Springs/Wildrose Canyon

• Socalz's Profile Photo

Middle of nowhere

I've stayed at Stovepipe Wells Village twice now. Accommodations are rather basic, but I've always found the rooms to be clean and the staff more than friendly. The "village" also includes a restaurant, bar, pool, campground for RV's and tents, gas station (regular unleaded only) and a small general store for stocking up on supplies. I would recommend that you make reservations over the phone or online in advance because since they're about the only game in town, they're often sold out.

Unique Quality: For those that want to explore the Northern part of Death Valley, this is the place.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Staying in Stovepipe Wells Near the Sand Dunes

The Stovepipe Wells Village is open all year. This hotel has 83 pleasant, air-conditioned rooms. There are no TVs in the rooms, but there is a TV in the lounge.

Unique Quality: The village has an outdoor swimming pool, a gift shop, general store, restaurant and saloon. It is a short drive or about a 30 minute walk to the sand dunes.

Directions: Located on highway 190 near the Stove Pipe Wells Sand Dunes in the Stove Pipe Wells Village.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Campground in Stovepipe Wells

Stovepipe Wells Campground is open from October 15 to April 15. Located at sea level and laid out like a parking lot, this campground has 190 RV/Tent sites. Water is available, but the taste is poor. Since bottled water is very expensive within the park, be sure to bring plenty of drinking water with you. Some of the tent sites have tables and fireplace. Flush toilets and a dump station are located within the campground.

Unique Quality: A distant view of the sand dunes.

Directions: In the Stovepipe Wells Village area near the Stove Pipe Wells Sand Dunes on highway 190.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Some breath taking landscapes

I would say this is probably one of the few places in DV that has so many amenities. Almost centrally located to most of the attractions in DV from here. It would be a good choice to stay here if you decide too!

Stovepipe Wells Village

Directions: Stovepipe Wells Village is located on Hwy 190, just 23 miles northwest of Furnace Creek

• shivdeepmay's Profile Photo

An Oasis in the desert

We stayed there for 4 days. We took a Patio room and it cost $63/day. Very nice accomodation. The Xanterra group which takes care of this hotel (Scotty's Castle as well) has done a great job. The sand dunes are very close by to the hotel. In case you want to get up early to catch the sunrise, all you need to do is tell the Front Desk and they will give you a "Wake-up Knock". Very cute concept and it works. They actually wait till you get out of bed and open the door :)

Unique Quality: Camping ground & RV Park - Yes (well equipped)
    Pool - Yes
    Restaurant and Saloon - Yes. We didnt try them though.
    General Store - Yes (right opposite the hotel and is well stocked). The Store also has a Gas station. But the pump is very slow and it might take a long time to fill up. So in case you want to go "Full Tank" it might take a while.
    Pay Phones - Yes ( around 5 of them if we remember right)
    Ice vending machine - Yes
    Gift Shop - Yes. The General store across the road also has the same items though. (Both are managed by Xanterra).

Directions: If you are driving from LA, then you need to catch Highway 190 ( by taking 58 East, 14 N, 178 E, Trona Wildrose Road, Panamint Valley Road ). At the intersection of Panamint Valley Road & 190, take the right on 190 towards Stovepipe Wells.

• Andraf's Profile Photo

Stovepipe Wells

We stayed here on two occasions, once in October 2001 and once in June 2004. First time we slept in a standard room while the second time we booked a deluxe room. The deluxe rooms are bigger than the standard rooms and they have a tv and a refrigerator. The standard rooms don't have a tv (but in this location I considered that as being a plus). All rooms have air conditioning and private bathrooms. I think I prefer the standard rooms, as they were cheaper but as confortable and clean as the deluxe rooms; besides, if you're looking for a four start hotel type better go to Furnace Creek. But we were very pleased with Stovepipe Wells, it is much smaller and less crowded and you could really feel the experience of
    being in the middle of the desert with nothing for miles around. The village also has a saloon/bar/restaurant, a general store, a gift shop, a gas station and more importantly a swimming pool. We swam until late at night, the day was cooling off and the sky was full of stars. It was great. The staff was helpful and friendly. I remember that in the standard room the water was not potable but since we had plenty of bottled water with us we didn't mind it.The hotel is very close to the sand dunes.

Unique Quality: Great location and nice pool opened till midnight.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Stovepipe Wells Village

Stovepipe Wells also has a few motel rooms, in addition to a campground (open seasonally) and an RV hookup site. If I remember correctly, the prices here are lower than Furnace Creek Ranch, so its an option if cost is an issue. But there are few motel rooms and thus limited availability.

Unique Quality: Nothing except the location within Death Valley.

• Lady_E's Profile Photo

Stovepipe Wells Village

We were driving through the Death Valley and stayed at this hotel just over night. The hotel was nice, clean and not expencive. What´s more there is a swimming pool with cold water which we very appreciated.:)

• awayhome's Profile Photo

Air conditoned room or a tent: the choice is yours

Unique Quality: I think the pool is the most popular aspect of this motel. There is also a campground across the road from the motel....both are close by to many Death Valley attractions

• druvincent2112's Profile Photo

love that stovepipe

Stovepipe wells is one of only 3 places to stay at Death Valley..and the least expensive.
    its not fancy but the rooms are clean and the air conditionong works well. It's not a town but a motel...store..bar..restaurant and campground..most people tend to be hikers and adventure types that go to Death Valley anyway...so Stovepipe is more than enough.
    Very few Americans seemingly visit DV..lots of Europeans...I love death valley!!

Unique Quality: Clean rooms...pool open till midnight..decent restaurant and a cool bar. The store is well stocked as well and gas is available.

Directions: North end of the park on Hwy 190

• sabe's Profile Photo

One of two possible places to stay.

The Inn/Hotel/Campground has a saloon, there is a bar (closes EARLY though), a giftshop, a general store (over priced), pool and cable tv. It's really close to the "Sand Dunes" and the rooms are very spacious. At least in the 49's "barrack" where we stayed. Some crazy bird woke me up at 5 though...But I guess that's not their fault. A good thing that we did was to stay at the Inn for a couple of nights and use it as a base-station, because there is quite a lot in the area that is worth seeing. (See Sand Dunes, Wildrose (charcoal kilns), Aguereberry Camp, Bad Water and Mosaic Canyon) There are some annoying insects in the area thoug..think they might have been mosquitos. they liked me a lot!

More about Stovepipe Wells Village

Stovepipe WellsStovepipe Wells

death valley - stovepipe wells hotel

by ltt

stovepipe well hotel is significantly cheaper then furnace creak ranch. i would love to save the $50-75 difference but i can't find many pictures of stovepipe. i understand that is is a basic motel room but what is the pool like. i want a pleasant place to lay out and relax. are there pleasant places to walk around at that location. is furnace creek RANCH (not the inn) significantly better room wise, location & pool? thanks for any help you provide.

Comments