1540 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar, California, 92014, United States

L'Auberge Del Mar
Venere.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Costs 96% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Watch your credit card

Resort was very nice until our credit card was overcharged $820 and someone attempted to use the card at an on-line store. Management denied any wrongdoing and provided NO help or sympathy for our plight. All fault was put on credit card company- accounts manager lied to us outright and phone calls were not returned.

Unique Quality: Short walk to the beach

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Spa & Resort for Winners!

L'Auberge is a spa and restort type hotel a block from the Del Mar Beach. The prices are very high, a package deal begins at $398.00 for one nights stay, (two people) dinner at their restaurant, J. Taylor’s Restaurant, as well as Champagne & Strawberries, valet parking, taxes, and gratuities. A Spa package starts at $440.00 per night double occupancy. This should give an idea of the type and price to expect here.

I have never stayed at L'Auberge, but have seen it's sprawling buildings from the terrace at Del Mar Plaza and wondered what it would be like to pamper myself.

Unique Quality: Located on Camino Del Mar--the old Highway 101, L'Auberge is just one block from the beach in Del Mar and as I understand it, they have a private access path opening onto a sandy section of beach.

However, this is not a place for those seeking beach access, this is a place for those who want a relaxing, restful retreat and who have the money to pay for it.

What a great way to spend your winnings from the race track up the street!

• enofile's Profile Photo

WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL!

The way travel writers raved about this place, you would think this was one of the great hotels of the world. While the room was commodious and designed in a "smart" French country manner, there was nothing special about it, and the bathroom was rather small and dark. The common areas of the hotel were quite striking and made you think that the rooms would match. No!
    The "auberge" (pretty pretentious, don't ya think?) was in the middle of town across from the showcase shopping center. All pretty tacky if you ask me! The walk to the water took about ten minutes.

Unique Quality: Next time I will stay in La Jolla.

More about L'Auberge Del Mar Resort And Spa

A little too hoity-toity, but nice

by TripAdvisor Member lovesublime

If you want an upscale, quiet, romantic getaway this is your spot.

The only reason we stayed at L'auberge was because we got a great deal thru travelzoo(-). If we had paid the rack rate for the room we would have felt severely ripped off. I opened my window to view the back of a bench and looked up at the back of someones head. So we had to keep the drapes closed. We got what we paid for so we didnt complain.

The room itself was great. Nice size TV, plush robes, cozy fireplace. The pool and spa were very nice. The hotel is walking distance to several (expensive) restaurants and boutiques. The beach is nice to walk along but not to lay out on. The area was very upscale and too fru-fru for MY PERSONAL taste. The crowd seemed to be on the older side (by older I dont mean OLD, I mean older than myself, Im 27, most people seemed to be in their 40's, 50's) There is virtually no nightlife here. It might be more lively while the horse races are going on. Depends what youre looking for.

What's all the hoopla about?

by TripAdvisor Member pkjourda

Overall impression of the Auberge del Mar can be summarized as "fine". Rooms are nice but not great, appointments are fair but not stunning, bathroom is marble but with a small cheap tub, grounds are small and nothing to write home about, pool is average at best. Nothing glaringly wrong overall with the hotel but generally has a "bland" feel to it. At $280/night more can be expected, but then again are any California prices really worth it?

l'auberge in Del Mar

We booked through Expedia. Basic room was $205, overlooking the 2nd floor roof top and outdoors dining area, large terrasse but no view. Very clean and somewhat luxurious room. The location of hotel is great, in the village center with a few lovely restaurants across the street, a small shopping mall. The pool was beautiful but quite small. You have to cross a small street in the back, go down steps and short walk to reach the public beach. It's a large, beautiful beach with super clean lawns and walking paths. The rooms with view to the pool were almost $300 and a few had partial view of ocean.

I would go back to this hotel.

quaint hotel-great location

by TripAdvisor Member mommiesn

As an avid tripadvisor user I wanted to give a fair assesment of L'auberge in Del Mar. I stay at the hotel often and it is lovely. The property is in a great location, walking distance to the beach. The building is an older building however but the rooms have been redone. The bathrooms are ok however not great. If you are looking for a cozy, clean, elegant beach town hotel, this is it.

this place is just awesome!

I stayed here with my girlfriend. I booked a regular room, but it was gorgeous. Nice furniture. Quite spacious. I ordered a champagne and strawberries. When we arrived, the radio was playing a nice jazz music. The bedroom lights were left on. Very romantic.

J. Taylor: you gotta eat at this restaurant. it's fabulous. I had the rabbitt dish. Just out of this world. Seabass was nice too. Excellent service and ambiance. We had the chef pair different glass of wine with each appetizer and main course. The fois gras on hot stone was really cool.

Room: extremely clean, including bed sheets. carpets are spotless. this is what i expect when i travel. no hotels come this close so far at this price range.

Service: well-trained. porter service is excellent. they will take care of your luggage after you check out so you can take a nice beach walk before you leave Del Mar.

This was my third visit to this hotel. It keeps getting better and better. The online request for champagne was strawberries was promptly followed by a phone call from the concierge.

This is my favorite hotel. Enjoy!!

Nice, relaxing L'auberge

by TripAdvisor Member Mommyof2NewJersey

We stayed at this hotel for spring break for 2 nights with kids age 5 and 2. This hotel was very nice, clean and had excellent service. We received the cot as requested and the maid service was great. 1 day we came back from a day trip and they were still cleaning our room. I had my my 2 1/2 year old sleeping in my arms they quickly got 4 more maids to finish the cleaning so we can use our room.

We didn't do much in Del Mar except walk to the beach (about 2 minute walk down a hill) and have breakfast at J Taylor's and Americana restaurant (right next door). We also had dinner at Jake's Restaurant overlooking the beach, just gorgeous!! Make reservations as we had to wait awhile. It was about 20 minutes to both San Diego zoo and Sea World, not so bad considering having the option to take evening and morning strolls on the beach which we liked. Plus they had an awesome playground right near the hotel overlooking the beach.

For quick snacks we visited the Harvest Market across the street, 2nd level. Pricey, but we could buy fruits and snacks/drinks to munch on instead of using the minibar which was a rip off.

We did not use the pool, a bit to cold for that and it was small. The crowd did seem to be a little on the older side and very fancy, but that didn't bother us.

Overall experience very promising and I would definetely go back.

Quaint Place

by TripAdvisor Member frozensky

The hotel is within mins of walk to the beach. The room is well appointed. I had a fireplace. It's a great place to relax and take a vacation. It took them a long time to get my room ready, and I wasn't compensated in anyway nor did the staff seem apologetic. I was there for a business trip. My boss's room wasn't ready neither, but they offer to call his cell phone to notify him when the room is ready. I never got the same offer. Not sure if that has to do with me being minority female.

Comments