3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
HotelIndigo.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 205% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Worst Place in No. County San Diego

Do not stay at this Motel. It is not up to snuff with any place I have ever stayed. The rooms ARE DIRTY, SMELLY, UNCLEAN. Stay all over the country WORST PLACE, WORST BEST WESTERN. Travel for business back and forth in US. NEVER AGAIN, will I stay here. It may have ruined me for all BEST WESTERNS. Breakfast room dirty. It needs to be inspected. UNCLEAN. Eat somewhere esle, even tho it is free. People have handled the food and returned it in baskets, unwrapped butter pats with clean butter and on and on. If you like smelly, dirty, unclean motels, then you will like this place. Stay anywhere else. There are many other places that are clean for the same price. Holiday Inn Suites, Solana Beach, The Clarion right next door. I will be there next month and have made a reservations for less at one of those places. Trust me, WORST STAY IN AREA. DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY, SEEDY. LIKE A BATES MOTEL DIRTY

Unique Quality: Close to fairgrounds. Close to downtown

• Worst Place in Del Mar Ca.

Warning...Do not stay here. The Hotel is like a bad Bates Hotel from Pyscho. It is seedy, dirty, musty and smelly. The staff does not know what is going on with the place. The mangement is nasty too. The breakfast room is unclean with used food products mixed with fresh food products. I have travel back and forth across the country for business for 4 years this is the worst place I have stayed. It sounds good but is not. This is an expensive mistake for what you get in return. Heed this warning, there are lots of places in Del Mar. Next store is a nice hotel I think it is the Clarion.

Unique Quality: The ocean view is of a construction site, blocking what was once a view of the distant ocean. They still bill this room as ocean view.

Directions: Just outside Downtown Del Mar

• anacapa's Profile Photo

Sweet pool area and rooms with kitchenettes

We took over this pool area with a group of about 26 adults and children one Saturday night. Appetizers at the jacuzzi turned into a dinner barbeque. The BBQ turned into a mini campfire where we roasted marshmellows and made s'mores. We brought our own mini gas-burning grill. The hotel does not have a grill by the pool. Grilling might not be allowed, but we didn't get caught and other guests didn't complain. We moved the party inside by 9pm anyhow as evenings in June get a little chilly. And of course, we did not have glass by the pool!

Each of these hotel rooms have a kitchenette with pans, plates, coffee cups, cutlery, utensils, mini fridge, microwave, stove. Downstairs the kitchenette is L-shaped against a corner. Upstairs units have a bar that extends out for eating on. The sink and microwave are against the outside wall. Upper units have an ocean view and a balcony, lower units have a sitting area and a door with direct access to the pool area. Upper units have to exit the front door and go around and down stairs to get to the pool area. Depends on what you want - pool access or an ocean view. Also, the upstairs units have angled beam ceilings. The height adds to the room size and could make the room cooler in summer months.

There are also upstairs units without ocean views. These look out opposite the 'courtyard'. Also there are also lower units without the immediate pool access. These are also units that face out, away from the pool area.

The rooms do not have the same level of bathrooms as in the photo for my other Stratford Inn tip. The bathrooms in these units have a pine finish w/ white counter tile and are smaller. Forgot to take photos unfortunately.

The breakfast room where the hotel serves a continental breakfast is just off this pool area and has it's own small courtyard with three outdoor tables. There are also a number of indoor tables too.

Unique Quality: Close to the ocean. Quiet and really nicely laid-out to offer each unit maximum privacy in rather close quarters. Nice pool. Nice jacuzzi. Clean. Basic bathrooms and kitchenettes, but they are very comfortable and clean.

• anacapa's Profile Photo

Great Stay for small and large groups

The hotel is one block from the bluffs in Del Mar. Many rooms have ocean views. I was upgraded to room 219. These photos are from that room. If you have a bigger group than just two, the room connects with a second room with two full beds and a kitchenette. Both rooms are decorated the same. Both have ocean views, as do other rooms. (But not all rooms have an ocean view.)

There is a continental breakfast included in the price of a night's stay. The breakfast room is in a courtyard just off a second pool area. You can see this in my other tip for this hotel. The hotel has two 'courtyards', each with there own pool. One courtyard/pool also has a jacuzzi. This is in my other tip.

Unique Quality: Kitchenette if you request it. Nice ocean views. Quiet. Close to the coast. A short walk to the ocean bluffs through the driveway of an adjoining apartment building, and down a short block. Nicely landscaped, large mature trees offer nice shade.

Directions: Along Pacific Coast Highway, south of downtown Del Mar. Pass 10th street, pass the Del Mar Inn and you'll see the Stratford Inn on your right.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Not THE Stratford Square!

Naturally, I didn't stay here. I live in San Diego and just went home. However I drove past the place and thought it worth mentioning for a couple of reasons. First it is not located in the landmark building, Stratford Square, in the center of Del Mar's village area. It is located about five blocks south on the same road. The other reason I'm adding this option is that they offer some pretty reasonable package deals that are much lower than other places near-by. At the moment, they offer a Sunday through Thursday deal with rates available from $79.00!!

Unique Quality: Best Western has a good reputation and you can expect your room to be clean and comfortable. Many rooms have a view of the ocean--it's only two blocks away--and there are rooms with private patios or balconies available. A nice thing for families, they also offer studio suites which include kitchenettes as well.

The hotel is situated lower than street level so it gives more of a retreat feel than a bustling hotel on a busy street.

More about Best Western Stratford Inn

Think twice about the Stratford Inn Best Western del Mar

by TripAdvisor Member MandYDerbyEngland

The Hotel's description, in particular it's photos, leads you to believe it's right on the beach. Take a look. What you see is the Del Mar Motel which IS "right on the beach" The Best Western Stratford Inn is 3/4 mile away. That is unless you can climb down a crumbling cliff face after crossing a railway line and drainage gutter! We were well & truly decieved by this image and will take the hotel to task over it, accusing them of gross misrepresentation!
Like previous reports, the so called "standard" rooms are, to say the least, horrible. In as much you couldn't even "swing a cat" in the shower and there isn't a bath with a shower over it. The room we were shown was ............ disgusting! Eventually, on the 3rd attempt, we were provided with an upgrade but still in the "old" wing. If you're thinking of this place, take the rooms in the "new" wing!
Breakfast is OK and you can take it on the terrace. Just be very, very careful of the "standard" rooms. Even the rooms in the "new wing" are deceptive. Some have nice balconies on the upper floor. Others are hidden "below ground level" with a view of stairs. The swimming pool area in the new wing is, I must say, very acceptable.
On the other hand, the staff were very pleasant.

MandY
Berbyshire
England

Pleasant surprise!

by TripAdvisor Member fluff77

I had low expectations of the Best Western Stratford Inn after reading a lot of these reviews, but as we were there for a wedding and the bride had gotten a special rate for her guests at that hotel, I figured we'd just deal with it so we could be staying near the other guests.

Well, I was very pleasantly surprised. We'd booked an ocean-view king and it was lovely. The bathroom was enormous (and spotless, and had nice Bath & Body Works toiletries in my favorite scent), and the view from the room was breathtaking (we were on the 2nd floor; it was probably even better from upstairs). The continental breakfast in the mornings was quite nice, and the pool area was nice too. Don't get me wrong -- it was nothing luxurious, and there were some dingy touches here and there, but I am used to budget travel and this exceeded my expectations.

I should add that other wedding guests we talked to who stayed in the "standard" rooms were VERY disappointed. They came to see our room and were amazed at how spacious and nice it was compared to theirs. So I can really only recommend the ocean-view king.

won't return

by TripAdvisor Member kansascity88

We were disappointed with our experience. We failed to make reservations in advance anywhere though, so had limited choices once we arrived in Del Mar. The beds were very uncomfortable. We didn't have enough pillows or towels after we checked in, and were told to come get them at the front desk rather than having housekeeping deliver them. Minor things were annoying, such as a lamp that didn't work, and not enough trash cans. The toilet overflowed one morning...we sopped up the mess with towels and reported it to the front desk. They sent more towels and that was all. When we asked for directions at the front desk, the two employees were unable to help but gave us a map. We won't return. We had hope to stay at the Courtyard by Marriott that is nearby but they had no rooms.

Great And Clean For Price

by TripAdvisor Member NOELYGIRL

We travel to San Diego at least twice a year. The stay is always nice. The people are nice and the rooms are clean. For the price $133.00 off season AAA per night for a suite with a semi-ocean view is fabulous. The free breakfast helps take the stress of your budget too. I recommended it.l

quiet, pleasant stay

by TripAdvisor Member enzo1

I was staying for 10 days, so booked a large room with a kitchenette. Hotel staff was very friendly, and my needs were taken care of promptly. I had a spacious room overlooking the pool and the bed was very comfortable. The kitchenette with mini-fridge was perfect for my needs, and I didn't have to eat out every night. The hotel is within walking distance of the beach and shopping at the Plaza.
Breakfast was OK - not great. Typical continental breakfast you get at most mid-range hotels.
Good sized TV and decent channel selection, as well as a good sized closet - a plus if you have more than one person.
Overall, a very pleasant stay - would do so again in a heartbeat.

Comments