Devils Postpile National Monument Hotels

Our Members Say

• goingsolo profile photo goingsolo
  • Reviews: 2750

Campground: Campground

There is a campground located about 1 mile from the monument. It makes for a good staring off point for a backcountry hike. At this higher elevation and cooler temperature, camping is a great option to staying in a local hotel.

There is a separate charge for camping in the area and permits are required.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: National/State Park, Hiking and Walking
  • Written September 10, 2006
Tip Photo

Devils Postpile National Monument

• travelgirl3 profile photo travelgirl3
  • Reviews: 186

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Devil's Postpile: Just like home! Only colder, and with Bears...

This was my home for the 3 days I visited the Postpile. It was a beautiful location, directly beside the San Joaquin River. I met some wonderful people; Bob, an older gentleman from LA who had been visiting the Postpile for a couple of weeks for many years - he joked that as he got older, they moved the Postpile farther and farther away from the campground, so now he could no longer hike to it! My other neighbours were Beverly and Bill. Being from Canada, I had no idea it would be that cold in California, in June, but after I awoke with a frozen water jug my first morning, they were kind enough to loan me a blanket, and hat for sleeping! I'll never forget them.

Oh, about the bears - I was warned to keep all food in my trunk, as bears have come to recognize an ice chest, and will rip the door off a car to get at one. Fortunately, I never saw any!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive