6300 S. Highway 1, Elk, California, 95432, United States

More about Elk Cove Inn & Spa

No attention to detail

by TripAdvisor Member gardengirlbayarea

We had stayed at the Elk Cove Inn many times under the previous management and loved it. The town of Elk is quiet and charming. We were so disappointed in our last visit to the Elk Cove Inn however. For those prices you expect fresh flowers in the rooms, not ones already browning. I thought the spa was very uninviting but maybe if you have you eyes closed the whole time it wouldn't matter. The worst was that the breakfast croissants had mold on them. My impression is that the owner made some bucks in silicon valley and thought he would channel it into a B&B. Having stayed in alot of B&Bs you can tell the best hosts are ones you truely love people but this guy was all about the money. Interestingly if you read the management response to other less than stellar reviews you can read through the lines that he has a poor customer service attitude.

Heaven on earth!!!

by TripAdvisor Member davetracie04

My husband and I love the Elk Cove Inn. The moment we arrived we were treated like VIP guests. The breakfast was beyond our expectations. The food was exceptional, and our service was wonderful. Our dinner experience was also nice. Great food, and very personal service. Our room was beautiful, and the view was awesome. We will recommend your lovely hotel to everyone. We enjoyed our stay, and we will be back to celebrate our anniversary in March. Thanks to you David, and your wonderful staff.

wonderful weekend getaway

by TripAdvisor Member shimtastic

My husband and I stayed at Elk Cove Inn to get away before our daughter is born. The staff and the accommodations were warm and welcoming. It was nice to go where no one can find you. The location and the views are amazing! I loved waking up for a moment in the middle of the night to see the moon's reflection on the ocean. The breakfast was top notch with several items made with ingredients from local growers. (you have to try the apple juice! Being pregnant I must have cleaned them out of it!) By the time we left we felt like we had known the staff members for years. All in all the perfect relaxing escape for a couple whose lives are about to be turned upside down!

Worth it's weight in gold!

by TripAdvisor Member SageBreslin

After months of heavy patient care, my husband and I arranged a romantic getaway at this beautiful inn. Unfortunately, on the way there, my husband got food poisoning and ended up in bed for most of the weekend. David and his staff helped divert what could have been a recipe for disaster. Not only did they go above and beyond to make sure that my husband had everything he needed to make him more comfortable (inlcuding some excellent aromatherapy from the spa!), but they helped me to enjoy a well-earned weekend away.

We've stayed here before many times (like many of the others guests I met this weekend), but we keep returning because the Elk Cove Inn is by far the most charming and lovely of all the inns we've stayed in in this area. We fell in love in the gazebo, spent countless hours talking amidst the down comforters, and have now enjoyed numerous sunsets and sunrises from the lounging chairs in the suite. But, what makes this place so special are a dedicated owner and an incredible staff. They are there to make every guest's stay memorable- even if that means taking a little time to keep a gal company while her mate recuperates!

We look forward to returning again and again, though next time, I'm hoping we'll be able to enjoy our fabulous suite TOGETHER!

Not our idea of hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member Donalyn

Positives: Lovely grounds, great views, wonderful proximity to cozy Elk Cove beach. Very nice welcome basket of a delicious split of wine, organic fuji apples and good homemade cookies. Organic restaurant on site. Large, quiet room (Cypress Garden in main Victorian house). overlooks garden and statueque cypresses. Plush towels and crisp linens. Joelle (not sure of spelling), day time innkeeper, had a remarkably infectious and joyful presence and handled the inn as best she could given the policies.

Negatives: Upon making our reservation, we were informed that our credit card would be charged immediately, that we had "bought" the room for the night as opposed to the credit card being used to secure payment of the room in the event we failed to check in. When I questioned this policy, I was told that "all the inns on the (Mendocino) coast did this". After our trip, I decided to call a couple other inns to see if this was true. The first one, McCallum B & B in Mendocino, said they do immediately process a charge for one night's lodging upon making a reservation. The other I called, Sandpiper House Inn, also in Elk, said they wouldn't dream of such a policy. They value their guests as people and do not have a "corporate" approach I was told.

When we arrived at Elk Cove Inn in the evening around 7:30pm, the night time innkeeper was far less than hospitable, at least indifferent and almost hostile. When I inquired if an upgrade might be possilbe since there was a good chance we were the last guests to arrive, we were told that she didn't know if the inn had a policy of upgrading. I asked if there was anyone she could ask if they had such a policy. She said "No". Practically in the next breath she explained that the owner lived almost directly across the street and if there was anything we needed, we could use the phone at the front to call him. I don't know why she was unable to call the owner to ask about an upgrade policy. I would not have given it a second thought if she had said, "I'm sorry we can't upgrade you."

We were also presented upon arrival with a legal form we were required to sign before taking posssession of our room that "pre-authorized" a $500 charge to our credit card in the event we smoked or brought a pet into our room OR caused damage "beyond normal wear and tear". If it wasn't late and the end of driving most of the day, I would have walked right then. There was no mention of this policy when I made our reservation nor did I see mention of it on their website. (The innkeeper at the Sandpiper House Inn was aghast when I told her of this policy and asked if she had one like it. Of course she didn't).

Now, we are guests that wipe up water on the sink, throw all our trash in the waste bins, and straighten up the room before we leave, but we found ourselves on edge throughout our stay that this exisiting nick on the antique buffet, that gouge in the window frame, or some other existing thing would be charged to us. It felt much like when we rent a car and are given a form to note all existing damage on, only there was no form here. It felt like the owner's over-riding concern was his financial well-being, not hospitality.

Of note to us also, given this policy, was the "thrift shop" mismatched furnishings in our room. Not an ecclectic, pleasing combination of previously loved furniture, but awkward ranch house style livingroom end tables for night stands with huge oriental style livingroom lamps on them. A more modestly priced and presented inn could have perhaps gotten away with it, but we felt a little misled by this inn that presented itself to be of a high caliber.

A minor thing was that the down comforter they made a point of advertising was totally flat and didn't even provide much warmth.

I know this sounds picky, but many inns do provide consistent hospitality and quality, nicer rooms and friendlier policies for the same $200 a night, and also have a beautiful setting (though, admittedly, not often with that kind of beach access).

It may be just right for you, and the things that bothered us may not bother you, but for our $200, we will go elsewhere.

If you are looking for hospitality, keep looking.

by TripAdvisor Member CaWilliam

Nice beach, but there is easy public access and parking close by. Stay somewhere else and enjoy the beach at your convenience. It is actually easier to get to the beach from the public beach access parking than from the inn.

Best B&B breakfast I have ever had. And I have had some good ones. The breakfast cook and host is superb. In my opinion she is the only thing holding this operation together.

This inn has a policy of charging you for your entire stay when you make your reservation. So you are not making a reservation, you are paying for the whole thing right then, in our case sight unseen.

Before you will be allowed to check into the room you have already paid for, you will be required to sign an authorization to bill your credit card another $500 in the event the inn keepers don't like the condition of your room after you check out. What are you going to do when they surprise you with this after you have driven for an entire day to get there? This is a very unscrupulous practice. They will tell you that everyone is doing this, but we checked around and that is not true. In fact, other Elk inn keepers were appalled by the policy--as were we.

There were a number of repair and damage issues in the room, which you can only discover after you have signed the authorization and check in. We worried that the inn keeper was going to blame us for pre-existing damage, and use our authorization to pump up their revenue stream. We haven't gotten our credit card bill yet, so the outcome of this is still unknown.

The young woman who checked us in offered a long dry spiel in lieu of a welcome, and generally had a can't be bothered, no can do attitude.

This place has the most guest-unfriendly policies we have ever encountered, and because of that we will never stay here again.

(For an even better breakfast, check out the Little River Inn just south of the village of Mendocino)

Beautiful spot!!

by TripAdvisor Member jaw914

This was one of the most "glorious" places I've ever stayed at! The views are GORGEOUS and the food and accomodations were wonderful!! My only regret was that our stay was so short.

I would highly recommend this property!

Perfect Oceanside spot

by TripAdvisor Member Ellida

We loved this wonderful B&B, from the luxurious room, the perfect evening meal, the resident cat, the great breakfast to the oceanside location.

We were made to feel incredibly welcome for our one night stay, and would have loved to stayed longer. Not even the ocean mist could dent our fond memories of our short stay!!

Should be named the Dishonest Greedhead Inn

by TripAdvisor Member gumby223

I grew up in Mendocino and wanted to return to the area to get married. My Fiance and I booked a room at this place and paid $700 in advance for two nights in one of their rooms. We then did an advance trip to see the place, since we were planning on possibly having our ceremony their.

My Fiance and I wanted to Elope with a simple and brief ceremony in their Gazebo. They told us they would charge us $500 to stand in their gazebo for 30 minutes!!! - Imagine that - we already booked a room for $700 and now they wanted to charge us an additional $500 for 4 people to stand in their gazebo for 30 minutes.

We were so outraged by this that we canceled our room a full 3 weeks ahead of the date we were to use it. Now they are billing me for the room ($700) even though we never used it at all. I think you would be well advised to stay away from these corporate greed-heads.

They could care less about you or your comfort - the only thing they are concerned with is bilking as much money as possible from you.

They have a pretty setting - but the Griffin House has a better view, and other places were far more congenial to a marrying couple.

coastline north of San Fran

by debraowens

Hi. My fiance and I are looking for a beautiful but not terribly expensive place to stay on the coastline north of San Francisco. I've never been to the area before and would love to find the perfect spot for a short honeymoon in mid-October. Would anyone that knows the area mind making suggestions?
I don't think we want to go too far north, so that we can explore the Sonoma wine country while we're there too.
thanks for your help.