5800 Shellmound Street, Emeryville, California, 94608, United States

HYATT house Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Priceline.com Hotels.com Booking.com

• nomadig's Profile Photo

Suite dreams

Woodfin Suite Hotels have different take on the accommodation business: every room is a suite with a kitchen, there are a lot of amenities and the breakfast is free of charge. The price is still comparable with the other hotels of same quality within the nearby area.

The hotel is an excellent choice for people staying longer or travelling with small child. The fridge is an essential and it should added to every single hotel. The kitchen has also a stove, a microwave oven, a dishwasher and full set of tableware.

The livingroom has a table for working, couch and a small balcony. The separate bedroom has a sturdy bed with good linens.

The hotel is located next to train tracks and the trains can be loud. Try to get a room facing to the San Francisco Bay for better view and no train noises.

More about Woodfin Suite Hotel Emeryville

Labor problems interfered with sleep!

by TripAdvisor Member hhhduffy

Careful! This hotel has labor problems and we were awoken very early by noisy picketers. We recommed using another hotel until their problems are solved. Otherwise iit was very nice.

Excellent for Families

by TripAdvisor Member miljones1

This is a great hotel for families as it is all suites. The pool and jacuzzi are very pleasant and the breakfast is much above average. It is a great location as you can walk to the nearby shops easily and get into San Francisco or the East Bay with ease. Great views across the bay as well. We have stayed several times and never been disappointed.

Mixed Stay - Nice rooms, poor customer service

by TripAdvisor Member TravelsWithDoggie

The rooms are nice and big and clean, as is the hotel. We heard no outside noise and would have really enjoyed the stay however -
The staff is rude. Run of the mill, I'd really rather not be talking to you rude (yes at the front desk).

The staff is ill-informed. I tried to order room service (from the in-room, room service menu). The front desk informed me they really don't have room service yet. I called the restaurant in the hotel and they were happy to bring food from the room service menu (apparently the restaurant is more on top of the services at this hotel the the hotel employees are).

When checking out, I was rudely asked if I'd informed the front desk I had brought my dog (answer - of course, its on the reservation and my dog is 80 pounds and was with me at check in and I even pointed him out to the rude check-in person). Asked rudely because the first clerk didn't bill me the $10 doggie fee.

We'd stay again but would warn anyone who is staying about staff rudeness.

Good for families but bad service

by TripAdvisor Member petrovich

Overall, I thought the Woodfin was a great hotel for families. It's got a great kitchette with a microwave/oven combo thing, a 3/4 size fridge, dishwasher even. I liked our suite. It's not as big as Embassy Suites, but it did the job just fine.

What I didn't like were the picketters waking us up with bullhorns at 8 in the morning. Apparently, the Woodfin is having labor issues. It's also located right next to the train tracks (Amtrak), so the trains' whistles can wake you. We didn't mind this because our toddler LOVES trains. He would stop whatever he was doing as soon as he heard the train whistle, and clamor onto the sofa for a look out the window.

The service is exceptionally poor, which is not surprising given their labor problems. We asked for our trash to be taken out 4 times until finally somebody showed up. The next night, my room didn't get cleaned until 5pm, a minor annoyance. People at the front desk are not so personable in person, though very courteous over the phone. Sometimes I had trouble getting service because there were only two agents and several customers lining up.

The Woodfin does offer free DVD rentals (2 per night) and computers with internet access in the business center downstairs. They unfortunately charge for internet service in your hotel room ($5.95 per night), which is just ridiculous. They should offer free wireless to their customers. I did not try their swimming pool because it is outdoors, a poor choice for the "always briskly cold" Emeryville weather.

My husband ordered an omelette through room service and had a heck of a time understanding the waiter on the phone. I don't think it was a language issue; just a poor communicator. Anyway, the omelette was only mediocre.

The best part of the Woodfin is it's location. Only 10 steps away is Emeryville's Public Market, which is a large building that houses about 20 ethnic food stands, all of which are delicious. It also has a Borders and a Peets cafe. And a good block away is the Bay Street shops and movie theaters, which has great food and great shops.

So would we stay here again? Probably. We got a good weekend deal of $139/night. I just wouldn't count on the service and you can get good food nearby.

Love this Hotel and Staff!

by TripAdvisor Member BusinessGal

I love this hotel! The view to San Fran is amazing, the rooms are lovely, and best of all, the staff is amazing! Unfortunately, the team is being harassed by a Union Group from outside Emeryville with protesters claiming they represent the employees over a labor dispute. I asked about this and was shown a petition signed by all but 2-3 employees in suport of the management and hotel. I understand the hotel is non-union and an Oakland Union group is staging the protests with the support of some people no longer employed there. DON'T LET THESE PEOPLE KEEP YOU AWAY! This hotel is lovely, the new restaurant is FABULOUS, and these trouble makers shouldn't be allowed to chase business away from a great hotel. Seems like the city of Emeryville need to get involved and support this business...

Thanks to the wonderful front desk staff, housekeeping and restaurant crew for a lovely stay. I'll be back!

Gem of a hotel

by TripAdvisor Member AKdogs

Terrific location, spacious suites, excellent value.
Our one-bedroom suite was huge and quiet, with a pretty view of downtown San Francisco. The room was spotless, and the bed was amazingly comfortable. The hotel is just far enough from I-80 & the Bay Bridge to be serene & quiet, but close enough to be very convenient. We went to the Berkeley area one day, and downtown San Francisco the next, and this hotel was centrally located for both. Check in was fast, and the hotel has many extras that made our stay particularly nice. They have free DVDs you can borrow & watch on the in-room player. The heated pool is warm enough for comfortable recreation but not too hot for lap swimming. They offer free computer use (with high-speed Internet) in the business center. Free parking just a few steps from the front door. There is a little shopping mall right down the street, within walking distance. Really a lovely hotel.

Better than expectations!

by TripAdvisor Member julezpower

We booked a room for the past weekend on the hotel website, based on location, price and suite size. My friends and I were in the Bay area for a wedding in Berklee and Emeryville was a great location. The checkin was great, and the front desk was on their A game when they confirmed we needed extra towels. Pleanty of mirror and bathroom space for girls getting ready for a wedding. The separate living areas was great to entertain people while you are still getting ready in the other room.

We had a room with a view of the train station, and at first we could hear the train signals, but with the windows and curtains closed, we didnt hear it anymore. The room is great for upto 4 people. The kitchen has everything you need, but not an oven, just a stove top range. The only grocerystore we could find was trader Joes, but we were able to get breakfast foods and wine/cheese for under $20. We didnt get a chance to go swimming, but the pool looked decent.

Emeryville is a good location, away from downtown. It is close to the city and there is a great ourtdoor mall a few blocks away with many normal stores. There is also a movie theater. We went to the public market for dinner, but didnt see anything we liked. It was very international and looked like street vender food. We went to the Emeryville Bay Street mall instead where they had California Pizza Kitchen, fudruckers and other restaurants.

There were picketers at 8:30am on Saturday morning, standing on the train side of the hotel. Yelling "check out, dont check in"... but we were allready awake and moving, so it did not bother us. We took pictures instead. We didnt have time to watch any dvds, but we did briefly use the business center.

I would stay here again, and recommend it to anyone traveling with a couple of people. It didnt feel like a hotel, it felt like a condo. It deserves 3.5 stars.

Kid friendly hotel

by TripAdvisor Member momma3boys

The Woodfin will always be my first choice ! I had stayed at the one down in San Diego and loved it so I decided to try the one in Emeryville. Loved it just as much ! They do have DVD's that you can borrow but there wasn't much of a selection. They have books as well. I had used the washer and dryer and it's $1.75 each time. They have an excellent hot breakfast buffet at $9 per person. Made to order omellet. Yummy ! The room is spacious, great bed, has a kitchen, balcony, kind of ugly artwork on the wall though. T had arrived late in the evening and did not know that the hotel was currently being picketted. The picketters start exactly at 8AM with 2 loud speakers, people yelling and horns honking so you will definitely be awaken by them. You can hear them even with the windows closed. They will mostly be in the front of the hotel but they also walk around to the back as well. They will also approach you as you walk to your car to explain what it is they are doing. I did read on tripadvisor from other reviews that they were there but I thought that they would be all done by the time I arrived but apparently not. I arrived in the evening and did not see them so I thought the protest was over but the next morning I was awaken by them. It could get really annoying like a fly buzzing around your ear! I would definitely recommend this hotel to families with kids but don't stay this month. Call the hotel first to see if the protest is over first before booking your room.

Nicer than expected!

by TripAdvisor Member michee

I stayed here last weekend for a wedding and was very pleased. This hotel was very nice, easy to find, check in was a breeze and the staff was pleasant. I was highly impressed by how clean everything was… especially the bathroom (believe me I was looking). I was also able to view a few other rooms since many other suites were occupied by the wedding party / guests and they looked equally the same. Room service was very good, quick and delicious.

Some other reviews complained about the labor union picketing outside the hotel… luckily I did not experience this. One warning though, the hotel seems like a party hotel and I can see where others could complain about it.

Comments