8860 Lawrence Welk Drive, Escondido, California, 92026, United States

Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Remote & Restive

Lawrence Welk Resort is located amidst the trees and hills of Escondido This resort is in a more "countryfied" section of San Deigo and not at the hub of the area. Lawrence Welk has a pool with water slide, but this might not be a big draw during the cooler times of year, unless you experience one of the hotter days.

However, I'm sure you will find plenty of interesting things to see and do in and around the area.

Unique Quality: In Escondido, there are lakes where fishing is popular, a few shopping areas such as North County Fair, wineries, Orfilia and Rancho Bernardo. Oh, and for the daughter, a pretty interesting sculpture park, "Queen Califia's Magical Circle" is situated in Kit Carson Park.

Escondido is especially known for it's artistic bent and besides, antique shops, galleries and restaurants, there are several live theater venues, including the very popular, California Center for the Arts, Escondido

MODE, The Museums of Downtown Escondido, include the Children's Museum which might interest your daughter as well as the Mingei International Museum. My granddaughter liked it quite a lot, especially since I gave her a "throw-a-way" camera to take photos with.

• Golf and theater

Timeshare facility about ten minutes north of Escondido. We own here, in one of the older, two-bedroom units. Well equipped unit, wonderfully manicured facility. Two golf courses on the grounds, one being a par 3. The facility has several outdoor pools and recreation centers with daily activities. Excursions available. The clientele demographic skews toward retirement, but there is still plenty to do for younger families. Wild Animal Park is not far. San Diego is 40 minutes south. Los Angeles is 90 to 120 minutes away, sometimes more, depending on traffic. Oceanside and Carlsbad (beaches!) are 30 minutes west.

Nearest grocery store (Von's) is ten minutes south in Escondido proper, just off the Center City Parkway. Capuccino machine in the welcome center. Newer units (Boulder Springs area) are not as spacious or outwardly as attractive, but on-site amenities are excellent.

Unique Quality: Very quiet, within sight of, but removed from the highway and tucked into the hills. There is a professional theater on site, offering musicals and other events on a weekly rotation. Sit-down restaurant on site, as well as a PizzaHut Express take-out joint. Other restaurants and shopping in Escondido and San Marcos. Small water slide in the Boulder Springs recreation center.

More about Welk Resort San Diego

The Lawrence Welk Resort..Nestled in the Mountains

by kikita about Lawrence Welk Resort

This is a superb resort with all imaginable amenities! Great pools (several)
Recreation room
Tennis courts
Live shows
Restaurants
Galleries and shops on site
Trails

Weather and other things

by lmkluque

The weather in Escondido during Novemeber and December is reported on the average as:
November 74° High 47° Low
December 70° High 42° Low

I'd say the weather is usually a bit cooler during the day, most of the time, maybe in the mid to low 60's, sometimes (rarely) rainy, but in general a bit cooler than the suggested average.

Besides that which has been mentioned, Lawrence Welk has a pool with water slide, but this might not be a big draw at that time of year, unless you experience one of the hotter days.

However, when not visiting relatives, I'm sure you will find plenty of interesting things to see and do in and around the area.

The Welk is Great!

We stayed at the Welk Resort the second week in May and had a wonderful time. This place is Great! The accomodations are large, clean and convenient. The onsite golf courses are very well kept, challenging and lots of fun. There are ample opportunities for kids to wear themselves down in the multiple pools located throughout the complex. I can't find anything bad to say about this resort. Usually, in a place like this, you are hounded to take a timeshare tour. I wasn't asked once! Spend some time at this resort. You won't be sorry.

Very nice resort

In March 2006 I stayed at the Welk Resort. The condos are very nice but if you have a one bedroom be sure to ask whether or not you have a washer/dryer. Ours did not. The condos looked very clean and updated but the lack of elevators can make it difficult in taking luggage up or down the stairs. Parking was also an issue - there were only 6 or 7 spots in front of our building which meant we had to park by the pool and walk over each evening. The pool and fire pit area were very nice and many families were taking advantage of it. The trip to/from downtown San Diego wasn't bad as long as it wasn't during rush hour. During the morning it would take 1 hour - in the evening after 7pm it would only take 30 minutes. The restaurant at the resort is nice but has a limited menu. There is a different lunch and dinner menu and you can only order off the appropriate menu. The one shop was okay but lacked items for younger people.

Terrible service and we left with Scabies!

Welk resort is beautiful, picturesque, but the service was the worst I have ever seen. The front desk was rude, didn't give us our messages, and we even watched some nice old man being treated so badly that he finally called the front desk person a "smart ass." Then, the icing on the cake ... while staying there we noticed little bumps which we thought were mosquito bites, only to come home and find out we all had scabies! This resort, aside from the natural beauty, was a total disaster. Do not stay there. Spend your money elsewhere and stay scabie free.

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member catemboise

We had a great family vacation at the Welk Resort with our 1 year old and 5 year old. It is close enough to San Diego attractions as well as wine country to satisfy everyone, and the resort itself is very well-maintained and surrounded by beautiful hills. We were in the timeshare villas which were recently renovated. It was a spacious 2-bedroom, 2-bath unit, comfortable beds, lots of room for everyone, with a view over the golf course lake. We didn't spend a lot of time in the resort itself, but the pools are very nice, and they even have a kids playroom. Escondido is close-by with plenty of restaurants and amenities. I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic get-away, but I would definitely recommend it for a family vacation.

Spacious, clean condo

by TripAdvisor Member charbywarby

Stayed 3 nts...Evergreen #127...huge 2brd condo, stacked washer/dryer, nice kitchen, 3 tvs,dvd in living rm...huge balcony, sliding doors off living rm and off each bdr...quiet, off beaten path, but the pools were great, no one there and heated to 82*...so we could still swim even tho' weather was rather cool/cloudy...agree it's out of the way, but we had small kids and enjoyed the space of condo, we don't golf, but spent all time at pool area, hot tub great too...kiddie pool perfect at 1ft. depth for 4yr and 2yr old...did Sea World one day, but if doing more than 1 day in San Diego I'd stay closer, onsite restaurant was alright, but not too child friendly, little bit expensive for families, booked thru expedia for $220 a nt...to book thru resort was over $300! We stay again, only 10 min. to Escondido for grocery or shopping...since kids so small they never want to go anywhere anyway, but if they were older and didn't golf we'd stay near beach (Carlsbad) or down in San Diego, but Welk suited us well at this stage/age of kids. Could rent videos/DVD's...$5 each...also, ice cream sundaes $3...thought they should be complimentary, but oh well...little water slide area was busy, but our 4 yr. old wasn't tall enough yet for it, the other pool area we went to was chronically empty so it was great to have the pools to yourself!

California: One of my Favorite States!

by kikita

"What's not to love?"

If I didn't live in Florida, California would be the place to hang my hat! I've been there twice on vacation--the first time 4 years ago, the last time in the summer of 2001, and both trips were stupendous! The first time, we flew in to San Diego and drove to the Lawrence Welk Resort in Escondido, part of the mountainous region around San Diego. It was one of the most beautiful resorts I've ever experienced & has all possible amenities you could ask for. Although it was hard to pull ourselves away from this stunning spot, we managed to visit San Diego, La Jolla, the Coronado Hotel, several monasteries (including San Juan Capistrano, which is my favorite), and the wonderful art, natural science, and other museums in San Diego. We also drove to Los Angeles (my daughter and niece loved it, I was much fonder of San Diego) and experienced Rodeo Drive and Hollywood. Another place we visited was Santa Barbara...I'm sure we saw other places, but I have forgotten. In San Diego, the world-famous zoo was nice except it was really hot that day and the animals were not out and about. Still a nice experience. Right near the zoo, there is a STUPENDOUS complex of museums and other attractions that you do not want to miss. You also want to make sure to take a day cruise to Catalina Island--to die for! After a week in the south, we drove up the Pacific Hwy. and spent a night in San Jose. From there, we drove up to the NE section of the state, near Yosemite National Park, where I had a second week reserved in a cabin in the Sierra Nevada mountains. While there, we discovered the natural sequoia forest that dates from antiquity, spent a day in Yosemite, actually saw BEARS around our cabin, and crossed over into Nevada for a look at Lake Tahoe (incredible!) and a little gambling, shopping, and great dining. The last 3 days of our trip we spent in San Francisco, which we all loved & want to return to! Fisherman's Wharf, China Town, riding the trolley, Lombard Street (the most "crooked" street in the world), and a cruise to Alcatrass (still gives me goosebumps)...these are some of the things I remember enjoying. We loved the street performers (they were better than some people that I've paid good money to see in a more traditional setting!), and being entertained by a mime while waiting for the trolley was a new treat. I still like New York's Chinatown the very best, but San Francisco's was a really neat experience too. Basically, this is a city where you just can't go wrong...it is picturesque, distinctive, and full of things to see and do. Make reservations early if you plan to go to CA and especially cities like San Diego and San Francisco! Things book up fast!

"Second Time Around..."

My second trip to California was in July / August of 2001. My daughter, mom, and I decided we would return to the San Diego area this time and just spend a full 2 weeks there. The first week, we stayed at a gorgeous resort in Ramona (up in the mountains near San Diego). It had a killer spa, numeous tennis courts, a pool that made you feel you were framed by mountains, incredible views, lots of activities, and we were truly pampered...a total disconnect! To tell you the truth, we spent the whole week there, enjoying the resort. The second week, we headed to San Diego and stopped on the way at the coolest shopping and gaming place that is Native American owned and features incredible outdoor art and top designers all the way down to more affordable retailers...yes, you guessed it...we shopped 'til we dropped! In San Diego, we did all the touristy things, also returning to some of the places we had really enjoyed during our first trip. I loved the climate, the people, the fact that there are both mountains and beach (although the water was too cold for me---I am used to the much more tropical Atlantic!) My brother had recommended we venture across the border and visit Tijuana...just a skip and a hop away from San Diego. I had heard that this might not be a good idea, so I skipped this, considering it was just 3 women and my understanding is Tijuana can be rowdy. For those much more adventurosome than I, Tijuana nightlife may prove a good option.

Condo and Pool at Lawrence Welk ResortCondo and Pool at Lawrence Welk Resort

• Jul 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Avoid this resort. It is incredibly disgusting and covered with pests. And, the worst part is that when you complain about the pests, the customer service is horrible.
    This was my experience:
    I stayed at the Welk Resort in Escondido, CA in June, however they failed to follow through with contractual promises outlined in our reservation and provided an unhealthy environment. My son has autism and is non-verbal, so I decided to go to the safari park before checking in to the Resort on June 18th to avoid long lines. Although our reservation contract states check-in was at 4pm, we arrived after 5:30pm to check-in. We got to the room just after 6pm, but they were still cleaning it. We waited outside the room for 20 minutes before housekeeping left. When they did, we started bringing our luggage inside. Soon there after, we got a knock on the door from a representative saying they had to walk through for an inventory check, so we sat aside waiting for him to finish. Items were missing, so he left and came back with stuff for the room. Finally, we were allowed to enter the room. Well, after so many delays, we decided to go out for dinner. When we got back, we decided to go strait to bed so we could go to the zoo when it opened the next day followed by reservations we made months in advance. When I woke up the next morning, I went to the kitchen. There were hundreds of ants covering the sink, counter, coffee maker, toaster, stove, side of the fridge, and the dinning room table. It was a complete unhealthy environment. I was disgusted and quickly rushed to kill as many as I could with a hot wet cloth before our autistic son got out of bed. I spent an hour wiping everything down which resulted in our entire day being delayed causing us to miss our reservation. I contacted the front desk immediately about the problem, in which they replied that the problem would be taken care of and pest control would take care of the problem while we were out. However, when we returned, the ants were still on the sink and counters. I called again, very frustrated at this point. I was told they would send someone right over. My husband had to leave with our son while I waited for someone to come over, so my son would not be exposed to the pesticides. It took an hour before the engineer showed up. He saw the ants and proceeded to cover our entire eating area with pesticides and told me that he saw more ants outside, but that it would be the next day, after we check out of the resort, before someone could come out to take care of those. Needless to say, we could not use the kitchen during our stay which was listed under our reservation contract. Furthermore, an extremely loud alarm system went off at 8am and again around 9:30am as a result of a wire being cut during some construction next door. It was so loud that everyone in my family got headaches and my son was screaming from overstimulation. It was a nightmare. We went to check-out at 10am. My husband took care of our son who was still in tears, while I went in to speak to the manager. After explaining everything that happened, he said he would contact the third party we booked with to "make things right". After failing to contact us, I finally got a call the following week from an engineer on how he could help us with out stay. He was completely unaware that we had already checked out and returned to home to Tennessee. After explaining everything to the engineer, he said he would contact the manager to help. After days of failing to get a response, I emailed the manager directly. He seemed to have forgotten a great deal. Welk Resort Staff has now failed to return calls from me, the third party that I booked through, Better Business Bureau, and my credit card company about my complaints. Do yourself a favor, and book with another hotel or resort.