301 L Street, Eureka, California, 95501, United States

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

• Royal63's Profile Photo

Eureka & vicinity accomodations

I would never put my family, friends or relatives in any of the local Motel 6, Super 8 or other "cheap" establishments along the main street. You might get a room that is OK, but I would rather newcomers stay in any of the Best Westerns, hotels, Bed & Breakfast Inns, or campgrounds. If you want help, please ask. I have lived here all my life.

Unique Quality: If you would like gourmet type food, stay at the Hotel Carter or Carter House Inn.
    Unless it is in July or August, you won't be in the pool that much.
    If "home away from home" is what you are seeking, stay in one of the many Bed & Breakfast places. You will not be disappointed.

Directions: Downtown Eureka

More about Carter House Inns

Warm night in the fog

by TripAdvisor Member coolbreez

I recently stayed at the Carter House Inn, and had a quiet, but very lovely stay. After driving all day, arriving in time for wine and hors d'oeuvres was very welcoming. From there, we dined in the amazing Restaurant 301 and had our heads float away with the wine they suggested for us. Our room was warm and cozy with a fireplace. Breakfast in the morning was sinfully sweet with an array of pastries, but also fruit and granola. There is no other place like this in Eureka! If you are planning to visit the beautiful North Coast stay here.

Amazing food, Clean Comfy Rooms, Super Service,the only place to stay in Eureka

by TripAdvisor Member TheQueenofTheRoad

I most recently stayed at the Carter House Inn a few weeks ago in August. But, I must confess, I'm a regular there. I travel for business, and I visit Eureka on a regular basis. Carter House Inn is the best place to stay in Eureka! The service is wonderful. Always greeted with a smile, complimentary glass of wine and appetizers in the evening, tea and cookies later at night in the lobby. The hotel is Victorian era, but not victorian on the interior. The regular rooms are fairly small, but very comfortable. Nice linens, robes and very clean. The bathrooms in the standard rooms are quite small as well, not alot of counter space. The suites however, are spacious and provide much more luxury. I'd highly recommend staying in one of the suites on the third floor or room 201 or 202..on the second floor. Some of the rooms have gas fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs that are so relaxing. My only gripe about the decor would be that the interior is decorated in what seems to be a southwest theme, which detracts from the victorian charm of the exterior. It just seems a bit strange, but is still beautiful. Just not what you'd expect inside a victorian building. The rugs in the hallways always seem to bunch up and can be a nuisance to manage with luggage, etc. I have probably stayed there 25 times in the past two years and thats my only nit-picky complaint. The restaurant is phenomenal, the most vast wine list I've ever encountered, and always a cheerful sommelier to help you decipher it or pick an appropriate selection to accompany your meal. Try some of Mark Carters own vintages from "Carter Cellars", his wines are gaining world acclaim and earning high marks among critics as well as seem by the "Wine Spectator" guide from 2005. The included breakfast is always a treat and offers several hot selections daily along with a buffet of baked goods, granola, fresh fruit, yougurt, and wonderful juices and coffee. The staff is friendly and professional. I really do love this hotel. I recommend this hotel to my friends and family all the time. I could stay at any Hotel/B&B in Humboldt, but I always go back to Carter.

Not worth the price.

We were planning a romantic weekend and thought that we would stay at the best lodging in Eureka. It didn't live up to it's image. There is no air conditioning, so we woke up at 5 a.m. when the kitchen started their morning. The room was standard and small. The employees were not very service oriented. The overall environment was cold and unfriendly. Also, there isn't a view. But it is centrally located, though not worth the price.

Overpriced and Noisy

I used to live in Eureka and like to return a few times a year. Unfortunately, the town doesn’t have that much of a selection of lodging. There are a number of basic accommodations but if you desire something a little fancier, you’re not going to find it. There are some nice B&B’s but not everyone likes feeling like you’re staying at someone else’s house. So when Carter House rates itself 4 stars you think you’re on to something. We recently visited and after settling into our room it turned out there was a maintenance issue that caused us to be moved to another room. The staff was VERY accommodating and even upgraded our room to a suite. We moved across the street to the replication (which is very authentic) of a Victorian hotel. If you like that era you’ll probably be very happy. It you like modern, look elsewhere.

While lying in bed we could not easily view the TV. The fireplace was too low to enjoy. But the very worse was that the street noise was very loud outside. We were there in winter so the air was crisp and it seemed like all the sounds were being carried. You could hear every street person pushing their cart down the sidewalk. And there’s a good number of them. The Old Town area can be on the seedy side at night. I’m sure there’s people who would argue with that but Eureka has a large amount of vagrants for such a small town. On a previous visit we walked down to a local brewery for dinner, we wouldn’t do that again. But hey, if you from the big city it may not bother you. The problem is that in the city there’s lots of other people walking around with you. In the Old Town, where Carter House is, the sidewalks roll up so if you want to take a stroll maybe go with a group. I did not find it to be a peaceful experience. The Hotels were built in the ‘80’s but it doesn’t seem like the builders tool advantage of modern sound proofing. And although we found the staff to be very courteous and the restaurant first rate (try the after dinner cheese selection), we didn’t feel that either buildings had been maintained well. If the Carter House had once been a 4 star hotel, I would definitely say it was now a 3. The problem is that they’re charging you for a 4 star. The carpets needed to be replaced, the rooms weren’t that clean and were showing their neglect. Perhaps if the rates were more commensurate with the accommodations we wouldn’t have expected as much. I believe they can get away with this because it’s still the nicest hotel in town.

The BEST place to stay in Northern CA!

As a female business traveler in Northern California I find myself in Eureka at least once a month. It has been my experience that no place even comes close to the level of food, service and value that Carter House Inns offers. The staff is always attentive and warm. I love the complimentary wine and hors d'oeuvres in the evening, cookies and teas after dinner and chocolate on my pillow at night! The restaurant (301) is also an incredible find - the wine list is one of the best I have ever seen in the world. The food is outstanding and the welcoming dining room staff makes me feel as if I'm enjoying dinner with friends. Every time I visit, I notice new upgrades to the beautiful buildings and property. I have now stayed in almost every room in all four buildings (they have been nice enough to upgrade me when possible!) I highly recommend Carter House Inns for a wonderful travel experience. For what you get it's truly a bargain!

Best by far in Eureka!

Having stayed at The Carter House Inns many times over the years, I can tell you that this property is by far the best place to stay in Eureka and warrants every bit of it's 4 star rating as judged by "Best Places to Stay" guidebook. From its award winning food and wine to its architectural uniqueness the inn offers a true standard of excellence. I find the staff attentive, as they cater to your needs in a non-obtrusive and professional way. The rooms vary in size and view and staff is always helpful in aiding the room choice decision. The cluster of four Victorian buildings offer variety, and depending on my mood I enjoy each of the outstanding choices.
I will be back soon and often.

Not to be missed!

The superior quality of Carter House perplexes many people, especially the well-traveled. They simply cannot believe that a hotel and restaurant of this caliber would locate in a small coastal town in Humboldt County. Pinch yourself, it's true!

I'm a native Humboldter, and my wife and I enjoy special occasion "getaways," whenever we can. For years, we would take weekend trips to San Francisco, Napa Valley, or Portland to find the best places to stay and eat (oh, and drink!). For years, we left Humboldt County, venturing to places like Meadowood or Auberge du Soleil in Napa wine country, Hotel Nikko in SF, or the like. These are world-class properties.

A few years ago, when Carter House's Restaurant 301 got one of 80 or so "Grand Awards" worldwide from Wine Spectator, a light bulb clicked on, and we decided to give it a try. After all, there aren't any Grand Award winning restaurants in Napa.

Let's put it this way, we no longer waste the gas to go to wine country, San Francisco, or Portland for our getaways! It's Carter House all the way.

From the food to the service to the accommodations, Carter House offers a level of quality every sophisticated traveler will appreciate.

Here's a word to the wise: Don't cruise through Eureka, CA without stopping at Carter House. And a correlary: Don't stay at Carter House without dining at Restaurant 301! If you're a wine lover, you'll think you've discovered Nirvana.

Famous Carter House InnFamous Carter House Inn