48571 Highway 41, Fish Camp, California, 93623, United States

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

It's Got a Fire Engine!

We stayed here for two nights in June 2010. We had decided to stay here as it was close to South Gate of Yosemite National Park and would therefore make a good base for two days foray into the park.

The rooms are nice and comfy, we had a Yosemite South Gate Queen Forest room. For breakfast I usually went for a large bowl
    of fruit followed by two boiled eggs on toast. Very healthy.

Unique Quality: We had a room with a balcony, which looked down into the trees. A really nice quiet spot.

One thing to look out for on the drive back from Yosemite to the hotel is that the turning to the hotel is not really that well signposted and so it can be a bit of a hairy turn if you're not ready for it. I'm sure that Nicola, my wife, thought I'd gone onto two wheels when we made the turn on the first night. I took it a bit slower the next time.

More about Narrow Gauge Inn

What A Gem

Our family had a wonderful time at the Narrow Gauge Inn this summer and would definitely return. The rooms were comfortable, the staff was friendly and the grounds and running stream were overflowing with beautiful flowers. We ate in the restaurant and had our best meal of the trip. White linen, fine wines, and the best service made it quite memorable. You could tell the owners took pride in their property.

A Quaint Inn with alot of character

Really enjoyed the inn, people were very nice, the rooms were clean and charming. The restaurant has some really neat architecture features and the food was delicious. The inn close to the south entrance of yosemite. Getting to mariposa grove took us less than a 1/2 hour. Going to yosemite valley took us an hour. Enjoyed the scenery, hospitality and would stay there again.

Good & Bad

by TripAdvisor Member barbiem

Stayed here for two nights on our month tour of the USA.
Picked the Narrow Gauge from the favourable reviews on trip advisor must say that there was good and bad with our stay.
Check in was brisk and our room was quaintly decorated with a sort of rustic charm about it. The bathroom was adequate but rather dated. There was no full length mirror which made it awkward to get ready at night. Also there wasnt an iron or ironing board which when on a touring holiday makes life so much better for all those creased clothes.
We ate in the restaurant on both nights and found the first night (Saturday) fabulous with great food and a very attentive waiter (David) the second night was not so good. The service was slow and the waiter (cant remember his name)forgot to bring a steak knife, the waiter said he would rectify this. I was half way through my meal when my husband got fed up waiting and went to look for one himself. His meal was partly cold by the time he had managed to get one.
We finished our meal by 9.15 and wanted a couple of drinks at the bar but was told it closed at 9:30 so we ended up back in our room with nothing to do but watch TV. My other complaint was soundproofing. We could here the man in the next room snoring and coughing. It kept me wake most of the night and in the morning I could here the next rooms conversations. I felt like we were in the same room with them!! The Inn is in a great position for visiting the park though and is probably the best out of those available in the area.

Absolutely Darling!

by TripAdvisor Member sst03

My husband and I spent the weekend hiking in Yosemite and were looking for a quaint little place to spend one night. THIS IS THE PLACE!
We stayed in room 26 which had a balcony with two Adirondack chairs, two double beds, a decent size bathroom (no tub) and some of the softest carpet my toes have felt! We ate at the restaurant and found the food to be very tasty and appropriately priced ($75 w/o alcohol).
Although room 26 was fine, I would recommend room 25 which is located behind the front office and adjacent to the hot tub which can be booked for your private use!
If you do go into the park, it will take about an hour to reach the main entrance so plan accordingly.
All in all, it was a good experience and we'll be back!

Wonderful!!!

by TripAdvisor Member zuber

This hotel has a great location in proximity to the south entrance to Yosemite. Rates are much cheaper then in the park. Every room is clean, unique and smartly decorated...some with patios looking into the wilderness. In summer you can enjoy an adorable outdoor garden. I did not get to try the restraunt as it was closed for the season, but heard it was excellent. Would and will DEFINATLY stay here again.

Just Gorgous

by TripAdvisor Member lovetotravel1704

We stayed in a king room for three nights from 23 - 26 April 2006. This was just one of nine hotels we stayed in while we were touring round California and although they were all excellent this one was our favourite due to the beautiful location, lovely accomodation and it just had that extra something quality which made it feel really special. It's located near to the south gate of Yosemite National Park and the area is stunning with forest and mountains all around. The inn is located in its own grounds with garden, patio area and stream. There is ample car parking. In the main block there is the receiption, shop, restaurant and some accomodation. Our room was located in a seperate one story block and given the time of year was very secluded. Our room was a corner room and was very spacious and beautifully furnished. It was clean, tidy and very comfortable. There was an ensuite shower room. There was a private balcony with two rocking chairs with forest views. It was so tranquil and relaxing to sit there. The inn has charming decor, lots of character, and very well maintained. Breakfast was included in the cost of the room and consisted of a continential buffet with fruit, bread, jams, hard boiled eggs, muffins and hot and cold drinks. We espcially enjoyed starting the day sitting by the table with the bird feeder and watching the antics of variety of birds that visited. We had diner there on the first evening and the food and service were excellent. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed Monday and Tuesday evenings when we visited. The staff were excellent and very friendly and helpful. Our stay was just gorgous and we would have loved to have stayed longer. We would not hesitate to recommend it to others and would love to return ourselves someday.

Disappointed

We were very disappointed with the Narrow Gauge Inn. From the outside the inn was very nice, rustic and in a great location. When we entered our room we were hit with a musty 'doggy' smell and the room was very dark. The bathroom was ok, and everything did seem very clean so my husband and I couldn't understand where the smell was coming from. We then noticed in the hotel information that 'pets were welcome guests and to clear up any mess they might make' which made sense to what the smell was. We couldn't quite believe that an establishment who had carpets throughout their rooms would allow pets to stay in them (fine if you like dogs and cats but horrible if you don't) In the end we cut our stay short and only stayed one night to move to a hotel that didn't smell.

There was one other thing that annoyed us - we thought the restaurant prices were far too high (the prices were higher than in some very good restaurants in London!) We felt that they were taking advantage of the fact that it was the only place to eat for at least 10 miles, needless to say we didn't eat there and drove for 15 miles to the nearest town, Oakhurst.

Loved it!!

by TripAdvisor Member floridian_kitten

This hotel is one of several my husband and I stayed at during our recent honeymoon in California. I booked this hotel based on the reviews here and the photos on their website, and I was not disappointed!!

To start, the service was excellent! We arrived much later than expected due to getting a late start and being unfamiliar with the roads in the area. We called the front desk several times while driving to get directions and move our dinner reservations up -- I'd originally made a reservation for 7pm when I reserved the room, but as it turned out we didn't arrive at the hotel until after 10pm. Each time we called the staff were very friendly and patient with us. One gentleman not only provided us with detailed directions, but also advised us on where to stop for dinner when it was apparent that we wouldn't make it to the inn before the restaurant closed! We were initially worried about our late arrival, but the staff left us a "welcome package" outside the front office with our room key and a map so that we could locate our room. Throughout our stay we found the staff very friendly and pleasant.

We stayed in the "Mission Suite," which is their largest room and has a king size bed, 2 bathrooms, and a private balcony with forest view. Really we would've been fine in a smaller room since it was just the 2 of us, but I'll admit having 2 bathrooms was convenient when getting ready to go in the morning and settling in at night. This room would be ideal for a family. We found it clean and comfortable, but not "spotless" -- the room was a bit dusty, but I wasn't too bothered by this because the bed and bathrooms were very clean. The TV had a good range of channels, which surprised us considering the remote location.

The inn is quite charming and looks just like the pictures on their website. The grounds are clean and well-maintained, and we enjoyed walking through the gardens by the little stream.

Complimentary continental breakfast was served each day in the dining room, attended by a friendly woman who kept the buffet stocked and tables cleared. Coffee, tea, orange juice, fresh fruit, toast, cereal, and a variety of Quaker oatmeal were available. Unfortunately there was no milk (!) but otherwise I had no complaints. We also had a superb dinner at the restaurant one night; I highly recommend that you dine there if you don't mind the price!

All in all we really enjoyed our stay here, and hope to return.

Great Stay at Narrow Gauge Inn

June 2006:Stayed 3 days, 2 nights. Accomodations were very clean & home-like. Staff was Wonderful! Very kind & engaging, as well as knowledgeable about the area's eateries, prices, stores, & Yosemite. Location is great for quick entry into Yosemite's south gate. The Inn is surrounded by lovely gardens that not only have a footpath, but chairs and small tables tucked in here & there inviting one to stop and relax, dine if you wish, or just enjoy the view.A gardener myself, I know this garden is a Lot of Work.Such attention to detail must reflect the overall attitude of owner & staff. Continental breakfast was good.
Stayed over on a Monday-Tuesday and was disappointed that dinner is not served in the lovely on-site restaurant on these 2 nights.El Cids,mexican cuisine, and the Barbeque (owner on-site smoking the meats right there-excellent!) just past Cids were both delicious & reasonably priced and just minutes-drive south. Note: if air-conditioning is a must for you--be sure you request it.After hiking all day in unusually high temps for Yosemite and the local area, we were especially glad to have
A/C for the night.Only complaint is of parents allowing their children to be out shouting and running up & down stairs on the decks before 8am. At a place where most rooms will have windows open for cooling, parents need remember not everyone wishes to be up at 6am or 7am while on vacation.

Comments