4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 41% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite

Yosemite South Gate Lodging

by One_Canadian about Tenaya Lodge

Having stayed at the Apple Tree Inn a few times we decided to try out the Tenaya Lodge. During our visit the place was packed with families and the pool, lounge area and hallways were fairly noisy. Not really a place to go for a quiet getaway! The hotel room was nice but noise from adjacent rooms passed easily through the walls. If a quiet weekend was on order I would choose to stay at the Apple Tree Inn (fireplaces in the rooms) and walk over to the Tenaya Lodge to people watch. Beautiful stone fireplace in the lobby, nice outdoor pool, outdoor lounge with fire pit, location,location, location!!

Great stay at Tenaya Lodge

by TripAdvisor Member csrighter

Had a great one - night stay last week at the Tenaya Lodge! Very nice decor and facilities, and most importantly, clean! I got the room on hotels, not cheap, but I am not a tent-person for inside the park! We were upgraded to a suite upon our arrival - big living/dining area, large bedroom and large bathroom, with a jacuzzi! Definitely a nice suprise! We had dinner at the hotel in the Sierra (?) restaurant. Very good dinner and service. I didn't expect too much at a hotel restaurant, but it was great! The location of the lodge seemed great too - two miles from the south entrance to Yosemite. I would definitely stay there again!

Will definitely go back to Tenaya Lodge

by TripAdvisor Member ATWillow

I was apprehensive about staying here after reading previous negative reviews. However, we had a great stay. My husband and I used Tenaya Lodge as a base between backcountry hiking trips in Yosemite. So we checked in and out a couple of times. It's not so bad to combine nights camping at 10,000 feet looking out for bears, and nights at this luxury hotel!
The location was great and only minutes to the Mariposa Grove and the Southern Gate. I found the service to be excellent as they extended the $169.00 rate I found on the internet for one unplanned nights stay at the lodge, and held our bags between our hikes. One night we got back to the lodge at close to 11:00 p.m. Jackalopes,(one of their restaurants) kept the kitchen open late to make dinner for us, and they were not at all rushing us out the door. I don't think I have ever experienced that before. Anywhere.
I think Tenaya Lodge exceeded our expectations overall. I agree the rooms were a bit tired, but the staff, pool, location, and service outweighed that. I will stay here again.

One Big Mess, Rotten Experience

I liked the decor and the pool at Tenaya Lodge, but customer service was a total disappointment. When we first arrived, the valet insisted on parking my car. He decided to tinker with my window without my permission, which was broken and not meant to be used. The window jammed halfway open, so I could not park my car securely in the lot. Needless to say, a valet should never touch mechanisms in a vehicle that are unnecessary to parking it. Thankfully, the hotel staff had a repairman fix it, but only after I made a huge stink about it. That was a stressful start to our stay, and our experience worsened.

Our sheets smelled funny, like perfume, then upon closer inspection, we noticed there was a spot of blood on them. Housecleaning made the beds without changing the sheets and pillowcases. That alone is reason to never stay there again. It was an ordeal getting new bedding because housekeeping was closed.

As if that wasn't enough, we tried to watch a movie on pay-per-view and there was so much static, we couldn't even see the movie. So we called and had our movie cancelled. Calling staff was a problem as well.. it seems there's an operator for everything at the Tenaya Lodge and they toss you around like a hot potato.

Finally, we left two personal items behind in our room and called the hotel afterward hoping they might mail them to us. Only one item was reported by the maids.. the other was gone. Getting that remaining item back was our last ordeal post-vacation. To their credit, they eventually mailed the item. This was one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at.

Suffering From an Identity Crisis

by TripAdvisor Member Amada

This is a tough one. My husband, 3-year-old and I just spent the weekend at the Tenaya lodge. We paid the Internet special of $169, which got us a very run-of-the-mill hotel room in the East Wing (which looks like it was added as an afterthought).

This hotel is attempting to be an upscale property, but does not achieve it on most levels. Like another reviewer, we were dismayed to see a lot of room service dishes languishing in hallways (doesn't anyone who works here walk the grounds regularly??). And although there are a number of nice seating areas to enjoy on the grounds, tired planters filled with dead flowers and plants seemed oddly out of place.

Unlike other reviewers, we thought the service was friendly, and the food and service at Jackalopes Bar and Grill was good (since the dining rooms share a kitchen, we opted for the less-expensive restaurant). The espresso drinks were very good in the morning.

If you have kids and want to visit Yosemite, I think this is a fine choice (if you get a good rate). If you are expecting a 4-diamond hotel, spend the extra and stay at the Ahwahnee. And if you don't have kids and/or don't enjoy being around a lot of kids, pick another hotel.

My Happy Place

by TripAdvisor Member mrt1997

We were married at the Tenaya Lodge in 1999 and had been there previous to that a few times dating back to 1995. Over the last 10 years we have taken our children who are now in college and most recently our niece/nephew. Due to the obvious sentimental value for my husband and I, we consider this a great place to stay/visit. There are a couple of problems that need to be fixed:

*restaurant service, food quality, availability
*size of double beds - don't stay as a couple in one of these or you will both be in separate beds! They are just too small.
*maintenance needs to be improved on the hotel
*spa needs therapists who actually are trained and they need to soundproof this area so that swimming pool noise goes away. I would recommend getting rid of some of their conference rooms that never seem to be used when we are there - they could get much better revenue if this was a true spa...

We go up to the Tenaya every couple of months and then into Yosemite for a hike or two. We love the area/location and look forward everytime we go. I think the problem with this hotel is that for some reason over the years it has retained the 4 star rating from AAA ... but in comparison to what we saw in our first stay to what we see now, the hotel is no longer deserving. Owners/management actually need to start reinvesting in this property.

When you go to stay, be sure you check out internet specials on various sites as well as their site, call them and ask for specials, use AAA discounts etc. They have many packages available, but you really pay for that.

If you want to get married here, they can help you and give recommendations ... but they are really not equipped for running a wedding or providing any type of coordinatior service.

Overall, we really enjoy ourselves everytime we go up and visit ... but we have learned what rooms to ask for, what rates to look for, where to eat in place of at the hotel ... etc. You should pay NO more than about $150/night.

OK, but bad location

by TripAdvisor Member lrontraveler

My wife and I stayed at the Tenaya Lodge near Yosemite from 10/9/2004 through 10/12/2004. The building and grounds are fine, pretty much what you see on their website. Our room was upgraded to an "Extended Double Deluxe" room because they didn't have a king bed room available (we were told of this when making our reservation, so the upgrade was unexpected and welcome, although we would have preferred the king bed). The room was clean and in good condition, but a pretty long walk from the lobby (it was in the east wing). However, the walls and floors are THIN, and there were many loud children in the surrounding rooms (both adjacent to, and above ours). They made a lot of noise, especially in the AM when they inevitably wake up early. Between their slamming doors, running around, and yelling, it made for quite a racket. Fortunately, they went to bed at a reasonable time, so the nights were quiet, except for the baby in the next room who woke up for his/her 2AM feeding and then again about 3:30AM. We could hear the crying clearly. Being from the east coast and trying to get over our jet lag, this didn't help the situation.

The major drawback to this hotel is its location. If the main purpose of your trip is to see Yosemite Park, this is far from the ideal place to stay. Others have mentioned this in their reviews, but it didn't really sink in whan I read them before making my reservation. IT IS AT LEAST A ONE HOUR DRIVE TO THE MAJOR YOSEMITE VALLEY SIGHTS. The drive is along route 41, which runs north-south through the park, and is very winding as it climbs up and down through the terrain. The hotel's literature says that it's 2 miles from the south entrance to the park. That's true, but the only major attraction that is near that entrance is the Merced Grove of giant sequoias. All other attractions require you to drive at least an hour. Glacier Point is a little closer, but it's about equidistant from the southern entrance and the main Yosemite Valley entrance. So, if you're planning to spend time in the "valley", and you're staying for a few days, the location of the Tenaya is a major drawback. If you're just spending a day and are taking a bus tour, it's fine, since they'll pick you up and drive you around. But, we wanted to do some hiking in the valley and spend a few days in the area. We wasted many an hour on route 41.

Great location and facilities, let down at times by service levels

by TripAdvisor Member fatboyofyork

Certainly an outstanding location, great pool and views and beautiful reception area. Our room did not have the best outlook. Breakfast buffet was OK, suggest you skip it and take one of the packed lunches, which were great, to get an early start. Great food and service at bar & grill first night, however, third night (baring in mind you can't book) went to eat at 8pm, told it would be 30 minutes, was actually 90 minutes and then the service was shocking and the food even worse. Would still go back

Don't Dine Here!

by TripAdvisor Member SummerAle

My husband and visited Yosemite on 9/12-9/13. We stayed at the Apple Tree Inn next door. Since they didn't have dining facilities they sent us to Tenya. We had looked into this hotel on trip advisor and other websites; however, decided against it for the price. When we visited...it was like "high society"...bell hops, vallet parking. Seemed wierd to me being in a "camping" area of the U.S. I guess they are trying to be posh.

I am mainly writing this view due to our dining experience at Tenya....UGH! What an aweful experience!!!!! BAD service! To start, we had to wait 30 minutes to get a table; yet tables were empty. Two of us ordered soup, a burger, and a beer/wine for a whopping total of $60. Service was SLOW!!!! Overpriced!!!! Further, we had ordered another round of drinks...yet the waiter never brought them. Food quality was poor. Soup portion was about the size of a cup of soup for a bowl...and our burgers were burnt! We couldn't tell the waiter because he never came back to check on us after delivering food. In fact, we were ready to get up and leave because no one could be found to bring the check! I think the people at the table behind us were perturbed too! If the dining is any reflection of the place on the whole...don't go!

Good Times

I love this lodge! I'm 15 and have spent Christmas here every year since i was 2. Everything is very clean and the people are friendly. There are quite a few places to get food and the staff decorates really nicely around Christmas time. It's just a really nice and festive feeling there. I definatly recomend this lodge for the holidays, especially if you have young children.

Tenaya Lodge LobbyTenaya Lodge Lobby