Colombi Motel Fort Bragg

600 East Oak St, , Fort Bragg, California 95437

Good For No Data
  • hoz's Profile Photo

"Take it or leave it"

I always look for the bargain motel and have spent a night in more than a few "fleabags" As such I've developed my own rating scale for these often overlooked establishments.

We stayed here overnight while on a West Coast road trip. The Columbi is supposed to be the bargain in Ft Bragg so we headed straight for it. Check in is at the Columbi Market across the street (you can wash your clothes at the Columbi Laundromat, also on the corner). As I entered I could tell the action was hot. Several people were lined up waiting to check in and all seemed to have reservations. It was July 3rd and people were in town to start the long weekend.

I inquired about a single room for two for one night and the lady gave a slight grimace. She made a call and came back with "One night for two, last room available $99.90..."TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT".

I was a little put off and actually gulped as I was expecting $56-65.00! I looked around and asked an old Mexican gentleman next to me if he had a spare room at his house. He just replied "better take it, she might raise the price in a few minutes". Carumba!

After we checked in and saw the room I knew why we got a high rate, though probably not as high as it could have been. Our room was a 3 bed "suite" ! But like the lady said it was the last available. Otherwise we would have had to go to the high priced spreads down on Hwy 1.

Check in was OK and there is a separate sheet guests must sign outlining the rules of the Motel. The rate (though higher than I would like) was reasonable considering Ft Bragg is limited on bargain lodging.

Our rooms were small but clean and looked newly remodeled. We had a good nights sleep here and I'd stop again, but make sure I have reservations next time.

I give the Columbi a 3 star rating on the "Hoz Fleabag Hotel" scale.

Unique Quality: Not really a "fleabag".

Quiet, family type lodging.

Very clean and with extras, like kitchenettes and covered parking.

Extensive "rule sheet" must be read and signed at check in.

Directions: Hwy 1 to Oak, turn north.

Comments