1005 S Main St, Fort Bragg, California, 94593, United States

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

• ltschelling's Profile Photo

Best Hotel in Fort Bragg, Mendocino

Excellent View! Excellent Service, friendly and honest staff. We came here for our honeymoon , we enjoyed our stay. Quiet, serene and excellent restaurant, The Cliff House.\

When we left the hotel, I also I left my wedding shoes in the hotel. After 3 days, Joe, called and asked me if I was missing something. I didn't remember at first, it dawn on me...my wedding shoes was missing. So I described it to him. To my amazement...Joe sent back my shoes to me. How many hotel staff would do that?

The shoes was not that expensive, but Joe knows, I will never ever be able to replace the sentimental value of that shoes...so he sent it back to me. Thank you, Joe...you are the best among the best!

Unique Quality: Honest employees

Directions: Main Road..easy to find

• Ocean Views

Wonderful- romantic views, fireplace, 2 person jacuzzi tub, bath and bodyworks toiletries, fireplace, friendly staff, robes, breakfast and free treats in the fridge--very clean. Every room has a view of the ocean- you can hear the fog horn but it adds to the romance. This was an incredible deal. Free wireless internet access.

More about North Cliff Hotel

Good experience overall

by TripAdvisor Member lichen86

We stayed in the king suite with hot tub. View of the bay was beautiful except for the huge dirt/construction pit right beneath the hotel. There is a fog horn nearby which some people find "romantic" but we found very annoying, in fact we could not sleep with the window open because of the horn. Top quality soaps in the bathroom from bath & body works. Continental breakfast and coffee was good. The in room hot tub was fantastic, although if you have someone above you using theirs you will definitely hear it. Service was attentive. You get a VCR in your room, but in this day in age a DVD player should really be provided instead. Wireless internet service was excellent.

Great Views- Comfortable Room- Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member SFBayWhale-Watcher

When I first booked the North Cliff for an anniversary get away, I thought the view shown in the add may have been a teaser...It Wasn't! The view was spectacular. We stayed in a 3rd floor King Hot Tub Suite. The room was clean, everything was in working order, and a delicious and filling gourmet breakfast (cheese, croissants, muffins, fruit, juice, etc) was in the mini fridge for morning breakfast on the balcony. The hot tub was clean, easy to operate, and large enough for two. There are few things more romantic than an evening dip in a hot tub for two, chilled champagne, and an incredible view of an ocean sunset. The staff were helpful in providing very good dining recommendations and made the reservations for us. As far as value, I inquired about a AAA membership discount and received 40% off the current rate ($135). Can't beat that for the view. What will, however, take some getting used to is the foghorn on the harbor point. It bellows every 15 seconds, day & night so ear plugs would be a good choice if you're a light sleeper. We were treated to a croaking serenade of distant toads who helped muffle the foghorn. There is also no air conditioning so if you get warm easily, like myself, your only alternative is to leave your sliding balcony door open at night which, of course, makes the foghorn more prominent. FYI- the hotel is non-smoking in the rooms but the balcony area is acceptable. There were no smokers next door so the balcony air remained fresh. All in all a very enjoyable experience.

A great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member travellingtwoRedding

My husband and I stayed at this hotel 3/26/07 thru 3/28/07 in rm 309. It was very special and above our expectations. The jacuzzi was great and it really does fit two people either way you sit, opposite or together. We loved going in it each night !!The ocean view ,balcony and fireplace were outstanding. The housekeeping exceptional and the fridge was stocked every day with your breakfast of fruits, muffins, cheese and 2 Sees candies. A very nice touch!!! Stock milk and cereal like we did and it's all you need for the morning. It was nice relaxing ,not having to go out for breakfast. We went during the off season and got reasonable rates. The only negatives we had was the fog horn being a little too loud(bring ear plugs or turn the music on softly) and the coffee was very strong, bring your own filters.This would not deter us from returning. Very comfortable and roomy with the vaulted ceilings. They have nice rooms for familys too. We loved dining at the Silvers at the Wharf (great food , views and service),Cabrillos light house and the glass beach were our favorite places to visit and the coastline towards Mendocino. The Kays from Redding, Ca

Years Of Special Moments and Memories

by TripAdvisor Member blondsong

To Whom it may concern.
My wife and I have traveled many years throughout the country experiencing a wide variety of hotels. We have been visiting the Norht Cliff Hotel since 2002 and have been faithfully returning ever year due to the hospitality, aminties and extreme beauty of the region. We must say, however, if it were not for the staff of professional and caring people employed by the hotel and the great accommodations, it would be just another nice hotel. Again, accolades to this wonderful hotel and it's staff with special mention of a delightful member by the name of Jill, who, due to her professional and accommodating direction, has made all of our visits memorable and always looking forward to our next visit.

Sincerly Ron and Jenny Sear
Sacramento, Cailfornia
Room# 209

A Pleasant Experience - Friendly Staff

by TripAdvisor Member TomSacramentoCA

We had stayed at North Cliff several years ago. Our recent trip to Fort Bragg - Mendocino area we decided to stay again. We read all the comments on Trip Advisor and checked out the hotels web page to see if anything had changed. Don't decide weather to stay from the opinion of others. I read some not so happy comments about the place and they did not sound like the place we had stayed a few years past. We called the property direct and made reservations for two nights and then found out through the AAA magazine North Cliff was having a special - so we called back and was able to get three nights for a reduced rate. They were happy and willing to give us the discount. The property is the very same we remembered from a past visit. Very clean rooms, great views of the ocean inlet and river that goes under the recently newly constructed bridge. What a view. We watched the fishing boats going out in the morning while sitting in large over stuffed chairs near the large plate glass window. There is a gas operated fire place in the rooms. Took the chill out of the morning air. Bathroom very nice with a mini shower instead of tub. Some of the rooms have built in hot tubs too. The staff was able to get us a room on the top floor (3 stories) so we could experience a great view and not hear any heavy feet above us. The place is very quiet even when full as it was the Sunday night we stayed - the first night of three. There is a fog horn at the inlet to the ocean just west of the bridge and it sounds every 30 seconds. Unless you are a very light sleeper, it should not bother you. My wife wore ear plugs the first night, but then after that decided she did not need them. It adds to the atmosphere of the place. There is continental breakfast in the refrigerator waiting for you every day. They also include a microwave oven and coffee pot. The rooms have robes in the closets too, although we did not partake of them. Off seasons would be the best rates - check with the property to be sure. I really enjoyed the FREE wireless internet service. Good signal and my laptop linked up with no problem. Try the blueberry muffins, they are the best. Only thing is the traffic noise during the day time hours going across the bridge, but at night time, there is no traffic and things become very quiet there. There are a lot of good dining places in Fort Bragg too. Glad we stayed at North Cliff, a nice centeralized location to roam the coast north and south of there.

Wonderful view, great rooms!

by TripAdvisor Member Thelma53

We spent one night at the conveniently located North Cliff hotel and found it to be a very good value for the discounted rate we received. The girl at the front desk was not very professional, but she was helpful and friendly.
We had requested a top floor room for the maximum view of the ocean, and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, the outside steps might be difficult for some people to negotiate, especially with luggage. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The bathroom was large and luxurious. The fireplace gave the room a warm and cozy atmosphere. The refrigerator supplied a delightful tray of goodies that more than satisfied us for breakfast. We loved the sound of the ocean , including the soft sounds of the fog horn and fishing boats coming and going in the channel.
There were a few restaurants within walking distance under the bridge. We ate at Sharon's and understand why she's been featured in Coastal Living magazine and has received several awards including the "Best Restuarant in the San Francisco Bay Area award" .
Fort Bragg appears to be a working town more than a tourist town, but it looked like there were plenty of things to see and do if only we had had more time.

Good Room, but, 'Oh, that Foghorn.'

by TripAdvisor Member Pendolino

Stayed at the North Cliff Motel on Sunday night. Establishment was well-located at the southern end of town, just north of the Hiway 20 junction. Room for two was clean and spacious with a gas-fired fireplace, good bathroom and nice toiletry amenities, plenty of fluffy towels, and a nice view of the ocean inlet into Fort Bragg. Lights were good and couch was comfortable for reading. Luxurious tray of complimentary fruit, cheeses, muffins, croissants, plus bottled water, and juices. Small refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker in room. Small balcony from which to watch the setting sun over the Pacific. Well priced with AAA discount. Now the bad news. Every fifteen seconds, day and night, there is a foghorn that beeps for three seconds (did I count more than once during the night? You betcha!). If you are one who likes to sleep with a little ventilation, especially from the fresh ocean breezes, it is an absolute necessity to bring ear plugs. Needless to say, I didn't and was dead tired the next morning. Upon checkout, I mentioned it to the clerk (certainly not her fault), and she said maybe they should have a supply of plugs on hand. Good idea, I replied, would certainly be a nice service to the guests. Would I stay again? Yes, with earplugs.

Nice hotel, awful relentless and loud foghorn

by TripAdvisor Member BellaCullen

My husband and I wanted to stay in or near Mendocino for a romantic weekend. We didn't necessarily want a bed-and-breakfast, but preferred a regular hotel type situation. The North Cliff seemed to offer everything we wanted. With one exception: peace and quite. Please read on.

The Pros:

The North Cliff is very cozy and the rooms are clean, modern, and nice. The beds are good and large. The fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs are a plus. The water pressure on the shower massager head in the stall shower is really good (and the shower head is great). The view is OK (yes, you see the ocean, but you also see a rather ugly dirt/sand lot in front of it, too). Every night they have fresh baked chocolate chip cookies at reception (yum). And every day when the maid makes up your room, you get, in your small refrigerator, a covered tray of croissants, muffins, juices, cheeses, fruit -- really nice. They call it "continental breakfast in your room." It's included in the room price. There is a coffee maker but truthfully the coffee they provided wasn't too good. They also provide tea bags. This hotel tries very hard to make your stay pleasant. The reception staff is very nice. So what's not to like? Read on...

The Cons:

THE FREAKING FOGHORN! This is not the foghorn you imagine -- NOT a relaxing deep tone heard in the distance. No. This is very nearby the hotel, and it's the same frequency and loudness as a car horn outside your window. BEEEEEEEP. It goes off every 30 seconds. Yes, EVERY 30 seconds, day and night, whether there is fog or not. I timed it. I listened to hear if it would stop. It did not. Seriously, it's just like someone is outside beeping their car horn continuously. You absolutely need ear plugs and a white noise generator (or use the clock radio to generate white noise static). If you booked this hotel to hear the gentle ocean surf, you will be sadly disappointed. You will hear the whoose of the cars on the nearby bridge and a BEEEEEEEEEEP every 30 seconds. So you absoultely HAVE to sleep with the windows closed. My husband said, "oh, we'll get used to it." Sorry, I just couldn't! Fortunately, I always travel with ear plugs!

Another thing that was disappointing about the hotel was that the walls are rather thin and we could hear the people in the adjacent rooms.

Also, the temperature regulation is weird. The heat comes from the floor, but even when we turned it OFF, our room was very hot and stuffy. We couldn't figure out why, since the thermostat was totally off!

The ocean near this hotel is pretty, but the view of the dirt/sand lot in front of it really detracts from the atmosphere. On the other hand, the area is an inlet for the fishing boats and it's a nice touch of "local color" to see the fishing boats come in and out.

In Conclusion:

Really nice hotel, nice room, nice staff, good price, but in an unfortunate location.

If you are going to this hotel in the winter (or any other time when you don't want the windows open), you will probably enjoy it. The foghorn isn't too bad if the windows are left closed and if you bring earplugs and a white noise machine.

If they could move the hotel further away from the bridge, silence that flipping foghorn, and make the dirt lot a little more attractive, then I would givet his place a much higher rating. But under the circumstances....buyer beware, and know what you're getting into.

Spectacular views; loud foghorn

by TripAdvisor Member travelwriter47

The North Cliff Hotel is built into a bluff where Noyo Harbor joins the Pacific about 10 minutes (by car) north of Mendocino. Each very spacious room has a balcony overlooking spectacular scenery plus a gas fireplace. Other rooms also featured an in-room huge bathtub. Complimentary continental breakfast is left fresh each day in the room's refrigerator(croissants, cheese, fruit, juice, bottled water). Finally a free mini-bar! The one negative is no air conditioning or fans in the rooms and the only ventilation is via the sliding door to the balcony, something we were very aware of during our unseasonably warm (for the Mendocino area) stay. In order to get any sleep at night with the adjacent harbor foghorn loudly trumpeting 24/7, the slider door must be shut tightly resulting in a warm, stuffy room. We bought a fan from a local store to use for the four nights we stayed here and it solved the problem, but at our expense! Reception says the owners are aware of the situation and plan a remodel sometime soon. I'd stay here again, but only if the renovations include air conditioning. In the meantime, they should equip all rooms with fans.

Comments