47975 Center St., Gualala, California, 95445, United States
Travelocity Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about Gualala

Taking in the viewTaking in the view

A view, a heart and great wineA view, a heart and great wine

See a sea star? An anemonae? An urchin?See a sea star? An anemonae? An urchin?

Sunset along the Sonoma CoastlineSunset along the Sonoma Coastline

Travel Tips for Gualala

There are lots of vista points

by jessicadf

As you drive along the coast, you'll be sorely tempted to crane your neck to look at the gorgeous scenery. PLEASE -- make use of the turn-outs, pull over, get out of the car and enjoy. Nobody wants to see you crash because you weren't watching where you were going on the windy roads... and even more, nobody wants to be stuck behind someone driving too slowly because they're sight-seeing rather than driving.

Rule of the road to remember: if you're going slower than the rest of the traffic and there are 5 or more cars following close behind you, the law says you must pull over and let the faster drivers pass. Please? PLEASE?

Be prepared for fog

by jessicadf

You often won't know whether the weather will be warm or not. On the drive up the coast, it was mostly sunny and warm and I was happy to be wearing shorts, but a long-sleeved shirt. Most of the drive was sunny, but there were times where we drove through fingers of fog.

On the next day, driving South, the fog was heavier and we opted to drive with the roof up. Eventually, however, we had the windows down and swallowed the sea air greedily.

Look but don't take

by jessicadf

At least, don't take things that are alive. This is the cast off shell of a sea urchin that has moved on (died?). A memento of my trip, now sitting on my desk. It didn't hurt anything, though... the urchin was long gone.

Tiny town along the Sonoma Coastline

by jessicadf

For my birthday this year, I was told by my sweet, sweet honey, "Don't make any plans. I'll take care of it all." Boy, he wasn't kidding!

In deference to our wish to make our specific destination a special place between us, I won't say where, exactly, we stayed on this trip. I will, instead, just describe the trip and a point along the way -- Gualala.

Locals pronounce this town, "Wah-lah-lah," -- the G is pronounced like a W.

"Hidden beaches"

"You can never..."

...EVER go wrong with two dozen roses!

Comments