13555 Highway 116, Guerneville, California, 95446, United States
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Applewood Inn

Go Stay at the Applewood Inn, Guerneville

My wife and I have visited the Applewood Inn, Guerneville 3 times now and have decided it's like coming home. I have only the best of things to say about them and their service. Really, really good customer service. I'm sure they have many guests to tend to, but they consistently make us feel like we are the onl ones there. From the food (great, great food) to the rooms to the friendly welcoming, Applewood is a wonderful Inn to stay at.

-Mateo / Anya Soltero

Great place to relax and rejuvenate

Just had the opportunity to spend one gloriuosly relaxing night at the Applewood Inn - what a treat!
We had our Board of Directors all day retreat there, then I spent the night after our 8-hour meeting. The Applewood Inn was a perfect spot for our meeting. Plenty of space to meet, break for lunch, stroll around the grounds, then regroup for the reminder of the day. The location has a very relaxing atmosphere which made it easy for everyone to focus on the mission of our retreat. We ended the day with an amazing 5 course dinner. The food, presentation and service was just outstanding. Following dinner I checked into room 19 which was beautiful. A spacious balcony overlooking a lovely fountain and courtyard, luxurious linens, a perfectly appointed room, I couldn't have asked for more. After dinner I enjoyed the spa then retired to my room with a glass of port to wrap up a very productive day. The next moring I enjoyed a delighful breakfast prepared by the owner, Jimmy, who served Belgian waffles topped with frothy whipped cream and fresh strawberries...paired with a perfect cup of coffee, juice and the SF Chronicle. The Applewood Inn was just the perfect ticket to meet, then relax and rejuvenate. Can't wait to go back.

I am a former innkeeper with high standards

I stayed at the Applewood Inn last week for a business retreat that included a meeting, dinner and overnight. I am very impressed with the Inn-the gardens and grounds are lovely with redwood and apple trees-I was thinking what a great place for a wedding or family reunion. The Inn itself is very impressive- eclectic blend of architectural styles giving off a very Italian feel- fountains, flowers, lovely pool and spa- all beautiful even in early Spring when the weather is grey and full of rain. Room #18- wow! Former innkeepers are sticklers for little details- like good reading lights, bathrooms clean in all nooks and crannies, linens well made and bed well-made- ease of lighting, heating/cooling, in other words, does the guest feel at home? YES. Very well done- Bravo! Bed was very comfy, impressive bathroom with great tile, private balcony, cushy robe- fireplace that worked with a flick of a switch--

Dinner was stupendous- dining room lovely with fireplaces at each end- architecture and lighting very interesting and welcoming. 5 courses and wines- wow. Service impeccable.

Breakfast- Belgian waffles with fresh strawberries, Thanksgiving coffee, SF Chronicle, George Winston on CD- prepared and served by the owner, Jimmy Caron, ever-gracious, ever-charming, very attentive host. I want to come back here with my husband!

Wonderful hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member hackette

We arrived at the Applewood Inn on a dismal, wet afternoon, to be warmly greeted by the welcoming proprietors and shown to a beautiful room, with a huge bathroom.
Everything was spotlessly clean, and we appreciated having a gas, log effect fire, which operated at the flick of a switch.
As it was a Sunday the restaurant was closed but our helpful hostess kindly made a reservation for us at the Mosaic Restaurant 20 mins drive away where we enjoyed a very good meal. Monday night we went to Stella's Cafe which was also good.
On Tuesday we were able to eat in the Applewood Restaurant and experienced a meal which was one of the highlights of our holiday.
Breakfast each day was prepared by Jimmy, one of the owners and was superbly cooked and presented, a highlight were the Belgian waffles with strawberries and cream, very calorific, but delicious.
Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our relaxing stay at Applewood where nothing was too much trouble for the staff, and the accomodation and cuisine were truly of five star standard.

There's a worm in the Apple

by TripAdvisor Member intl-shoe

My wife and I stayed one night at the Applewood Inn in May, 2006. To preface my review, because the Applewood Inn is marketed as a "higher end" B&B, we arrived at the Inn with high expectations. Thus, as little annoyances began to surface, we were less tolerant than we might be otherwise. On the morning of our arrival, we were met at the office by G*** and immediately the apples started to sour. Some people are meant for the service industry, and some aren't. We expected to be greeted with a smile, a hello, a welcome and a thank you. None of those niceties are her style. Strike one. However, she's great for the hearing impaired, as she tends to yell when she's standing very close to you.

Later, we needed to do a search on the computer for a location in Healdsburg. G*** tried to handle it, but couldn't. My wife is a wizz on the computer and could've had the problem ironed out in 2 seconds, but she was not offered access to the computer. Strike two.

We noticed that in addition to an 18" TV in the room, there was also a dvd player and after a long and enjoyable day wine tasting, it was just the right way to wind down the evening (fortunately, we both have good vision). I went downstairs to the office to ask if they had a dvd library (there was no list, or even mention of a dvd library in the room), where I caught J***** (?) on his way out of the office. He gladly (I think) took me into the office and suggested "Calendar Girls" (which both my wife and I enjoyed), but not before jokingly (I assume) calling me a "pain in the ----". Strike 3.

We ate at the Zagat rated restaurant on the grounds. It was very convenient having a good restaurant close by. The wine list is great. I recommend the Rochioli estate grown Pinot at $65. The food was OK. I ordered the lamb, was not asked how I wanted it prepared (assuming the Chef knew what was best) and it came baahhhkk way undercooked. Made me queasy. (Strike 4?) My wife enjoyed the halibut. The meal service was good. But the breakfast server had the odd habit of looking down his nose at you.

Not all was bad. We did like some aspects of our stay. The Inn hosted a wine tasting with a local winery. And the whirlpool spa in the room was relaxing.

Overall, we liked the grounds and the rooms were adequate. But we never had the feeling that we were (relatively high) paying guests that deserved the best service our money could buy. To the contrary, we were "pains in the ----" that were lucky to be there. And that's boring after awhile. I just read the reveiw written on April 14, 2005 and had a freakishly similar experience (less the "Deliverance" comment).

Not worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member cynvii

I stayed at the Applewood a few weekends ago. Low marks for staff rudeness . Upon checking in, we were not greeted or made to feel welcome. I could possibly understand if the person at the front desk was busy but she was only petting/playing with the dog as we entered the small office. I specifically chose to stay at a B&B for the down home hospitality and attentiveness that is typical of most but FOUND TOTALLY LACKING at Applewood. At check out I was overcharged by $300 !!!! The front desk lady was not at all apologetic for such a gross oversight. Remember to ask for the detailed receipt! High marks for location, surrounded by trees (near a meadow) and conveniently located to several wineries. Highlight would be the Frette bed linens that were exquisitely soft. I stayed in one of the newer rooms with a nice soaking tub but water came out brown. I phoned for help and was given some excuse that it was due to city water and that the minerals were good for you???! After several minutes the water eventually cleared up. Room decor was very generic "Pottery Barn" style. Overall is it worth the money...probably not.

Great place - if you can afford it

This was the sort of place that had thought of every little detail, down to double showers and fluffy robes.

We only stayed one night, and I was a little disappointed that there was only 1 breakfast option (belgian waffles with fresh strawberries), but the grounds were immaculate and I felt instantly relaxed

They had a decent size pool, where I could see myself relaxing for hours had we stayed longer. The room we stayed in also had a large private patio.

The guy who checked us in was very polite and gave us a mini tour of the place.

I didn't see the other rooms, but the suites were very comfortable and nicely decorated (ours had a bird theme). They weren't cheap at over $300/night, so certainly not the place for those on a budget, although I belive they have rooms starting at $185. You mgiht also get a better rate during off peak months - I'd call and ask rather than book online.

Home Away from Home in the Redwoods

I just returned from another fabulous stay at the Applewood Inn in Guerneville, California and I'm still floating on a cloud... or is it just the softer-than-air feel of their freshly pressed sheets?!

From the moment you walk onto the Italian villa inspired property, you feel pampered. The grounds are gorgeous and right now the many long stem roses along the pathways are in bloom. The sight and smell is heaven. My needs were attended to promptly - and usually before I even knew I had them! Yet, we had all the privacy one could want to sit and read by the fire in the main house or to lounge at the pool.

I found the front office personnel to be professional and especially helpful in making suggestions and then arranging the tours of some of the best boutique wineries around as well as dinner reservations - - when we were not eating in the Applewood Inn's extraordinary Zagat rated restaurant.

Nothing can be finer than to share a bottle of wine at the cozy bar close to the fireplace, proceed to a multi-course dinner prepared by the Chef, and then be able to walk a short distance to your private suite with jacuzzi, fireplace, fluffy robes and, oh yes!, those softer-than-air sheets and pillows.

Breakfast was provided in the room rate and was served in the restaurant. An early coffee and tea service plus the SF Chronicle got me going. Frette linens and a attentive waiter made for a special event - - breakfast cooked by one of the owners, himself! Tthe breakfast menu which consisted of two courses and more food than we could finish. Delicious!

I plan on coming back again many times!!!

Smitten in NYC

by TripAdvisor Member beautyandtruth

My partner and I had never been to the Russian River area and, largely because of our experience at the Applewood Inn, we're eager to return sooner rather than later. Both Jim and Darryl are splendid hosts--solicitous, friendly, efficient. And Gwen is an expert guide--not only in her thorough knowledge and discernment of local wineries (she was spot on in regards to every one we visited under her recommendation) but also in her tips on area restaurants and activities. The room suited us perfectly--arboreal views, a comfortable bed, even a fireplace. And the food was top drawer--some of the best we had all week, and we dined at all the finest places in Napa and Sonoma. A bucolic and gastronomic paradise. One wishes to keep such places a secret, but I feel too much in Applewood's debt. Go! Soon you will be writing reviews such as these.

Delight to the heart and soul

Kandy and I just returned from a delightful (but short) trip to Northern Sonoma Valley where we had the good fortune of staying at the Applewood Inn. As we drove up to the parking lot, our visual senses were immediately calmed by the colors of the well tended gardens. Our hearts were warmed by our attentive hosts, Jimmy and Darryll, whose personal service and attention to detail were outstanding. The breakfast, prepared and served by the owner Jimmy, was absolutely delicious! The dinner was superb! We are so pleased to have found the Applewood Inn. Our only regret is that we could not have extended our stay longer. We are especially saddened to know that the owners are planning to move to Italy! While we consider that a huge loss for Sonoma County, we are tempted to think about the possibility of travelling to Italy just so we may visit with the owners again. Thank you Jimmy, Darryl, Gwynne and Sassy for a wonderful stay!

Comments