11436 Hawthorne Blvd, Hawthorne, California, 90250, United States
Booking.com HIExpress.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Hawthorne

that's not Jesus - that's just my dad in 1984that's not Jesus - that's just my dad in 1984

Hawthorne California

by macman2004uk

Hi Everyone:
During my visit to California this year I want to visit Hawthorne California, as a long time Beach Boys fan, I beleive this is where it all began, and the birthplace of the Wilson brothers.
Can you advise is this area a safe area to visit, as I beleive there is some kind of commerative plack to The Beach Boys there.
I will first be staying in Costa Mesa then moving up the coast to Santa Monica, is that anywhere in the right areas.
Cheers
John Mac
Newcastle on Tyne
UK
25/March 2007.

by nomad7890

Not sure about the commemorative plaque, but Hawthorne is inland right around Los Angeles airport (LAX) - with Playa del Rey and Venice to the north, and Manhattan Beach to the south.

If you like the beach, I would stay in Manhattan Beach, then rent a bike to go around the area. Venice is a Southern Calif. icon. There are trails around the area ... see http://beaches.co.la.ca.us/BandH/Beaches/bikepath.htm and also http://beaches.co.la.ca.us/BandH/Beaches/Main.htm#beginbeachlinks.

Some parts around that area, especially farther inland, can get a little rough at night, but as long as you stay in the beach and exercise common sense you should be fine.

Not sure if any of these trails will get all the way out to Costa Mesa ... any reason to go all the way down there?

Nomad

by macman2004uk

Cheers Nomad:
Thanks for your reply.
Well the reasons to go down there is because we always spend a couple of days with our friend Phil, who lives in Costa Mesa, he has lived & married in USA since 1980, so we always spend couple of days with him before flying home.
But since I am a long time Beach Boys fan, I wanted a look around Hawthorne before flying home, I also love all the beach areas including Venice, making sure I am staying in Santa Monica over a Saturday/Sunday as I beleive the weekend is the best time around Venice Beach.
BUT
Our vacation starts of in Seattle/Alaska/Artic Circle/ Back down to San Francisco/Yosemite/Grand Canyon/Las Vegas/ Costa Mesa.
As I have been travelling to USA nearly every year (Just Hire A Car & Go) since 1977, and have visited every state since then, but always keep coming back because we love USA so much.
Cheers
John Mac
Newcastle on Tyne
United Kingdom
05:20hrs GMT

by nomad7890

Sounds like an awesome vacation! I *love* shopping in Costa Mesa. When I'm around that area I usually go out to Newport Beach - good for a morning run or a nice dinner - chances are your friends already took you there.

Was a little curious and I "googled" for Beach Boys Hawthorne - some interesting things http://thebeachboys.com/home.aspx ... but did not have time to search for any memorabilia in Hawthorne ...

Have a wonderful tour!

Nomad

Travel Tips for Hawthorne

1984 Olympic Parade

by supune

The opening parade for the 1984 Los Angeles Games came down Hawthorne Blvd. You know the one where the guy runs with the torch. I remember our family with my grandparents, uncles, and aunts went with Sri Lankan flags to wave on the Sri Lankan team. But we ended up missing the 1 or 2 (or 3?) Lankan atheletes that came that year.

Comments