1001 Westside Rd., Healdsburg, California, 95448, United States

Otel.com

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

'1000 Places To See Before You Die' Inn con't.

When we first arrived at this former Victorian estate, we sat for a few moments in the small courtyard beneath the cooling shade of tall trees. The temperature hovered in the high 90's. A stone fountain murmured nearby.

Inside the mansion, a couple was being united in marriage. In the grass, linen-covered tables were arranged to accommodate the guests for a reception following the wedding. I don't think a more tranquil or romantic spot can be found (picture 2)!

The house was wreathed by garden vignettes, each as pretty as the next!(picture 3) A cozy veranda held wicker furniture and looked as though it would be a comfortable respite from the sun.(picture 4). Madrona Manor seemed to promise a luxurious and peaceful stay!

Unique Quality: Flower splashed grounds in a quiet Victorian estate

Directions: outside of Healdsburg, California: Dry Creek Valley

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

"1000 Places To See Before You die" Inn

This exquisite Victorian Inn is listed in the best selling travel guide, 1000 Places To See Before You Die", so we were expecting to see something extraordinary...we did!

Madrona Manor is tucked away off scenic Westside Road, in Dry Creek Valley, a few miles outside of Healdsburg, California. This elegant Victorian estate sits on eight acres and includes a restored mansion (1881), a five star restaurant and lovely gardens...all in the heart of wine country!

The Inn offers "22 guest rooms and suites all fitted with the finest furnishings, linens and amenities". Luxury accommodations seem assured! We noticed an additional guesthouse and cottage on the property, adjacent to a flower garden bursting with color (pictures 2- 4).

I stepped inside to inquire whether we could look around and was told that we could do so. My pictures did not turn out very well in the darkened rooms, but I hope one can still get an idea of the sheer beauty of the place.

Unique Quality: Period Victorian antiques in luxury setting

Directions: In wine country outside of Healdsburg, California

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Stately Manor House B and B

The Calderwood Inn is tucked away on a side street in Healdsburg and reminds you of what your Grandmother's house was like (or what you always wanted a Grandmother's house to be like). Built in 1902, it has 6 beautifully decorated rooms with insuite bathrooms (one with a wonderful jacuzi tub). Each room has special touches and great antique furniture with a window that looks out on one aspect or another of the houses gorgeous English gardens. The beds with their feather bed comfortors are so cozy and romantic you may never want to get out of them! In early spring there is a ornamental jade tree that is on fire with beautiful pink blooms. The wrap around porch has the requisite rattan furniture, complete with swing. The parlor, with working fireplace, is filled with interesting antique "things" everywhere.

But I think the best thing about this place is the breakfast. It's not your normal everyday, B&B buffet of interesting breads and stuff. This is a HUGE gourmet breakfast; every element of which is seasonal, fresh and regional. The fresh baked croissants were the most delicious I've tasted on this "side of the pond". And the hot savory dishes put me way off my daily calory allottment (and it's still breakfast time!)

This is the perfect place to base your wine country weekend.

More about Madrona Manor

L&M Motel and Healdsburg - feel good place

by bay_area_boss about L&M Motel

This review is about family run L&M Motel in Healdsburg which you cannot book through travel websties. I saw good review about this motel and decided to visit. I am also a californian who likes wine tasting and explore weekend getaways.Now you might ask me why Healdsburg and why not the age old time tested Napa/Calistoga. Good question !! it is better to describe Healdsburg first before getting onto L&M Motel review as it may not be as well known destination compared to Napa/Calistoga.

Healdsburg downtown is one stop place for more wine tasting lounges/boutiques/exquisite cusines/bars/spas packed than Napa. You can cover the Healdsburg ave downtown end to end in 10 mins (by walk not talking about driving) but have access to plethora of the above.It is a COMPLETE PACkAGE all within 10 mins of walk! Spas are more friendlier and get appoinments fast, Wine tastings are free in most places and bartenders are friendlier and relaxed; some tastings do charge 5 bucks and many places offer even 10 different wine tastings and are inside art galleries, cusine is excellent and this place has variety of restaurants ranging from $5 to $150 per person meal but regardless of the price the quality of all restaurants are amazing, has great boutiques and antique shops but are costly..anyways you can still hang around in these fabulous shops and pass time. If you want to drink wine in a winery you can still drive around the valley or rent a bike but i wont advice to drive around drunk as this place is plagued with cops.That's the whole point about the tons of downtown wineries where you can walk and drink the whole day without worrying about DUI. Russian river is also next to this and you can do canoeing

I read good reviews abour L&M Motel which is why i went there and I now completely agree with the others.Other fancy Inns like madrona manor, healdsburg inns Healdsburg downtown are always busy and run for 300-500$, the question is do you want to pay that much money while you can get into L&M Motel for a fraction of cost.

Proximity: I could walk back from downtown to this place less than 10 mins even after getting drunk :-)) Within 2 mins of walk there are other shops and small restauarant joints,Within 5 mins of walk there are banks.Other places which are in the same price range will be a long drive away and will not be this good for sure !

Exterior and Amenities: All are ground floor rooms.It has a play area with barbeque place. Also has Clean Indoor pool, Jacuzzi, Free Internet,parking right in front of your room and breakfast.

Interior: CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN ..beds,bathrooms,fridge, microwave (in most of the units),TV,chairs,hangars,100% working A/C and Heaters(i had only 30% luck on A/c in other places so i had to stress the word 100% working) .In short all the basic amenities you can think of and room cleaning is outstanding they even ordered my shirts, put jacket in the hangar etc.Having said that dont expect a canopy or a large king size head board in beds as you dont want to pay 300$ extra just for this useless show off in other hotels.This place is way better than the regular motels and BW/Travelodges/American vaue inns.

Owner: This is the best part i liked in the hotel. The owner and their son of this family run motel treated me like their family and they even made vegetarian (yeah i am a vegan) food for me. They are nice to all the guests and most of the guests know them by names.Most of the guests are returning guests in this motel.I did not got intenet signal in my room and they automatically shifted me away to other room without even me asking them.They even help the guests in barbeques from their own kitchen. They certainly did not look money minded to me.I value this a lot because i was a victim of 100 rude hotel desk guys in my life, you want to be in a place where you are valued and personally treated.

Conclusion:This place delivers more than value for money. It is in a niche location, decent stay and great hosts.If you want to accomodate your business partner to strike a 5 million dollars deal then this may not be the place but for all other purposes this is the place.I have seen many upper middle class also in this place(saw Porches) so do not try to think all Motels in USA are meant only for truck drivers.Check out their web site http://www.landmmotel.com/ and trust me the actual place looks better than the pics in the web site.Overall Motel and Healdsburg are very cozy feel good place.

Fabulous Fine Dining

by Callavetta about Madrona Manor

I've had the pleasure of eating at the Madrona Manor on several occasions. The price fix menu changes daily and the selections usually include some of the regional specialties. As would be expected the Manor has an incredible wine selection. But it also offers an option wine pairing with your meal. This is such a great opportunity to try different wines with different courses, without having to purchase an entire bottle.
As an example of the delights to be found here, on my last visit I had zucchini flowers stuffed with goat cheese and lightly fried for an appetizer, followed by a melt in your mouth sea bass. I don't remember what my dessert selection was but I bet it was chocolate and I bet it was good. I do remember that it included a wonderful Port.

(OK, so it was a wine country weekend... naturally I don't remember it all!)

Website: www.madronamanor.com

Incidently, the Mandrona Manor also offers lodging and catering for special events.

Comments