The Grape Leaf Inn

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about The Grape Leaf Inn

Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member kasey363

A recent stay at the Grape Leaf Inn was exceptional. It was the first time traveling to wine country north of San Francisco, and this location (Healdsberg, itself) is a great place to see it all. From Healdsberg you have access to multiple wine regions and different "flavors" of the industry itself. We traveled for three days from the Grape Leaf and got a taste of everything from family-run wineries to corporate chateau's - quite the range....and it all was very enjoyable. The Grape Leaf itself was in an ideal location of the Healdsberg Plaza, walkable and safe, to all the stores, restaurants, local coffee houses, cheese shops, bakeries, wine-tasting rooms and the local entertainment itself right in the plaza. The B & B is a beautiful hideaway tucked in a residential side street, parking was plentiful and your rented car was safe with good chances for a spot off the street even! The gardens and walkways were beautiful and in bloom, and take it from this New Englander - when you can sleep with skylights wide open, and sit on the porches in late night or early morning without ONE bug - it is heaven! Hospitality was great - very down to earth...the Speakeasy hidden wine tasting room was an added treat for the evening, as were lots of chocolate chip cookies forever in sight. The rooms were very comfortable, with plenty of space, extremely clean, and had many nice extras (fresh flowers, candies, plush towels, thick bathrobes, fluffy comforters), there was plenty of drawer and clset space (in antique armoires in our room) and the double whirlpool bath (with another opening skylight!) was heaven. It was very quiet, with not a voice heard from room to room...coffee was ready early in the AM with several papers to share. Okay, now the food....hmmmmm..does lots, inventive, gourmetish but very substancial and filling give you a hint? Breakfasts were wonderful...simply said - just wonderful. We had wonderful conversations with other guests at breakfast, and upon passing....the clientele here seem to be very interesting and traveled - on our visit they ranged from newlyweds, to fellow east coasters, to California residents that make this a yearly pilgrimage. I would certainly (and hope to) make a return visit - both to this area and certainly this B & B.

best of all

My sister and I have just returned from the best B & B that I have ever stayed in. The Inn was in perfect condition - perfectly kept with beautiful gardens. The speak-easy for wine was great and the food was presented in a beautiful fashion and was delicious to boot. The rooms were very clean, the service wonderful, the people great and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend to friends. Thanks for a great stay.
Joyce

Beautiful B&B in Wine Country

We stayed at the Grape Leaf Inn for two nights as part of our "anniversary vacation" and had a very enjoyable stay.

The Inn is well appointed and attention to detail is apparent throughout. The food is outstanding and the staff was very attentive with good recommendations on local wineries.

We did get to enjoy the "Speakeasy" on one of our nights at the Inn that we had heard so much about. Very cool room and we got to sample wines from smaller operations.

We heard great things about the Innkeepers, Richard and Kae, and were very much looking forward to meeting them and sharing in their knowledge of wines and the area. However, we were disappointed to find that they were on vacation during the week we were there. I realize that owning/operating a B&B has got to be tough and time off is needed, I just feel that we should have been informed of their absence prior to finalizing our reservations since many B&B travelers like to meet and interact with their hosts, particularly those that come as highly recommended as Richard and Kae. I sent them an email prior to our visit looking for winery recommendations and Richard had emailed me back saying that he could take care of that when we arrived but nothing had been arranged for us. I will say, though, that Amy was very helpful with filling in.

The only other issue I would point out is the VERY early morning trash pickup. If you are staying at the Inn on Wednesday night, be prepared for an early morning, rude awakening by the trash collectors at 5:30 a.m. and again at 6 a.m. We heard a ton of comments about that at breakfast from everyone so folks weren't too happy about that! I would recommend that the staff inform the guests of that issue!

Great Location and Good Ambiance

We just finished a 3 night stay at the Grape Leaf Inn as part of our 20th anniversary trip to the wine country. We also had a wonderful 3 night stay in Yountville so we could experience the Napa Valley. Our room was the Chardonnay suite in the older part of the Grape Leaf. It had an additional sitting room and having the extra space was nice. We peeked into several of the rooms and found them to be on the smaller size--although well appointed. The common areas of the Inn are very comfortable and the Speakeasy happy hour is a treat. We missed Richard and Kae the owners (on vacation) so we were disappointed not to have their expertise. Breakfast was lavish each morning although it was annoying that it was served promptly at 9 a.m. We like the option to eat later and some inns will serve food for several hours--not sure they will do this at the Grape Leaf. I have to say that we enjoyed sitting with other guests at breakfast to hear about where they were from and what they had discovered good to do around Sonoma Valley. Coffee, tea, cookies were left out most of the day. The location is great for walking into Healdsburg and we had good meals at Restaurant Charcuterie, Manzanita and Willi's Seafood. Healdsburg is a charming town with a beautiful plaza and cute boutiques. The location is also good for visiting the Pacific Coast and it is a great drive through the Russian River Valley. We also spent a day exploring the Dry Creek area. Don't miss Dutcher's Crossing Winery. This is definitely an upscale inn and we do recommend it if you are a bed and breakfast afficiando.

Fabulous!

My husband and I are not B&B people, but we really enjoyed our stay at the Grape Leaf Inn. Everything from our "make you want to sleep in late" room (Syrah), to the amazing breakfast exceeded our expectations. The location is terrific, the Inn Keepers are wonderful and the 5:30 wine tasting in the Speak Easy is a blast. We plan to visit again!

An incredible experience

by TripAdvisor Member donaveronica

During the first week of December, we traveled to Wine Country and stayed at this amazing Inn. The "secret" wine cellar, where guests gathered every evening, was a rare and innovative treat! The hosts of the Inn, Richard and Kae were also the breakfast "chefs"; owning my own inn and having 2 chefs, I have very high standards; I was absolutley wowed at the morning breakfasts! Each one more creative and perfect than the last!
Don't miss the Grapeleaf!

A Great Engagement Weekend

I had a wonderful stay at the Grape Leaf Inn. Richard really went out of his way to ensure that the weekend went smoothly. The rooms are very pretty, if not that large. The spa tub was great. The breakfast was to die for, serious gourmet. For a special dinner I would definitely recommend eating at Cyrus.

Wonderful place, even better people

This was the second occasion my wife and I have had the privilege of being guests at the Grape Leaf Inn, and it will not be our last. Rarely do we find places that live up to the descriptions in their brochures and websites. With the Grape Leaf Inn, what you read is what you get. Our compliments to the owners, Richard and Kae, and to the very fine staff they have assembled.

Great house, great food!

by TripAdvisor Member Travelin'Girl13

I stayed here in October of 2005. A group of friends and I toured Napa and Sonoma vineyards. Napa and Sonoma are beautiful this time of year. Weather was perfect. The house was great, but maybe a little expensive for our needs - we weren't going to lay around the house all day, we wanted to travel around and see the sites and eat out. Breakfasts were great, the rooms were so cute and clean and well maintained. The jacuzzi bath was a lot of fun. Overall, a great experience!!!! If you are trying to live it up in the Sonoma area, this place is a great compliment to that goal. However, if you aren't going to be utilizing your room and you are trying to do the trip at a little lower cost, there are a lot of cheaper options that will allow you to buy a few more bottles of wine at the tastings.

One thing to note, we ate out a couple times in Sonoma and weren't totally impressed. There was a place called Zin that was good (not great), but it had a limited menu. There were a couple more upscale options (can't remember the name of the 2nd restaurant), but the food was still just good, not great.

Absolutely Enchanting

This is one of the neatest places that I have ever stayed. First of all, it is set in Healdsburg, CA, which is, in my opinion, the very best city in the California wine country. It is full of high caliber restaraunts with interesting menus (including Cyrus, second to none), wonderful shops and galleries, and cute local businesses, while surrounded by some of the best wineries. Healdsburg has the class of Napa, but not the snobby attitude or herd mentality.

But back to my point, the Grape Leaf Inn, which is hands down the best bed & breakfast that I have ever had the opportunity to experience. Just a few blocks of the Healdsburg town square, it is convenient yet unexposed. The groomed and fragrant landscaping, as well as a cute cat, welcome you to the large porched estate. We walked in just as the wine tasting was taking place within the "secret cellar". Mr. Richard Egbert, co-owner of the inn was pouring the wine and chatting with guests. There was an extensive wine selection to peruse, as well as various interesting wine oriented items, such as a blind wine tasting kit. We sampled some great wines accompanied by other gracious guests and even had a chance to taste the barrel wines in the cellar!

The moment I walked into my room, which was the Zinfandel room, I felt as though I was transported into a dream. Frank Sinatra serenaded me from the radio as I encountered the impeccably, yet classicly decorated room. There was a king size bed with nice linen and the wallpaper was great and interesting to examine. The skylight windows were fantastic and kept the fresh wine country air circulating through the bed and bathroom. The bathroom was stocked with great Aveda products and other amenities. We found the common areas exremely comfortable as well.

One of the best things about the Grape Leaf Inn is the 3 course gourmet breakfast. We experienced Kae's culinary expertise and were blown away. I am still thinking about the strawberry salsa and vegetable fritatta. But not too the late sleeper, try and arrive at least 10 minutes early to secure a seat next to your party.

I suppose the most remarkable thing about the Grape Leaf Inn is the management. Everything is so well run. The owners have extensive knowledge about the area and are extremely friendly and likeable. They will go out of their way to help you find what you are looking for in your visit. I think that this element makes the inn a step beyond its competition.

If you are in Healdsburg, stay at the Grape Leaf Inn.

The Front Entrance Showing Daily SpecialsThe Front Entrance Showing Daily Specials

Exterior ViewExterior View

The main dinning roomThe main dinning room

StunningStunning