2515 Pacific Coast Highway, Hermosa Beach, California, 90254, United States
Booking.com Travelocity Hotels.com

More about Hotel Hermosa

Hotel Hermosa: good deal, great servise

by TripAdvisor Member foxfest

Myself and 5 guests from Australia stayed at the Hotel Hermosa for 3 nights over 4th of July and had an amazing time. I contacted the hotel directly for a booking and they were friendly and accommodating right from the start (being a last minute booking near 4th of July, I was expecting a bit of a hassle).

As far as asthetics go, from the outside the hotel doesn't look like much but don't let that deter you. It is located right on a busy main road, but we stayed in a road side room and never heard the noise of the traffic.

There is a beautiful japanese garden inside the hotel and awesome views to the beach and pier from almost everywhere once inside (the glass elevator has a surprisingly awesome view).

Room sizes vary. We booked a double for 4 people which was a bit small for 4 people, but the hotel staff were quick to change us to a bigger room with no hassel and no extra cost.

Breakfast is included and is greta. They even cook home made soup and leave it out for you all day. You can access a kitchen as well.

As far as location goes, it's a further walk from the beach than they will allude to, but there is a cool little nature trail that will take you straight to the pier. It's realisticall about 15 minutes by foot (bring comfortable shoes, the trail is made of bark). If you're feeling too jet lagged/full/tipsy or just plane lazy it's less than a $5 cab ride. If you're looking for something closer to the beach in Hermosa beach it doesn't exhist for under $300pn (and there's only 1 hotel that close).

I've never written a review before, but what truely prompted me to write this was the level of service we received from all of the staff. I've travelled the world for years and have never seen staff more willing to go out of their way to make sure you have an easy and fun stay. The front desk did everything from spending hours helping us book tours, to reccomending local bars and restaurants and even giving us their name to drop for extra discounts around town. We were so pleased with the service we even went out and bought Cookie flowers!

I HIGHLY reccoment Hotel Hermosa if you are looking for a reasonably priced, comfortable place to stay in Hermosa. And if you take my reccomendation and do stay there, please say hello to Cookie at the front desk from the pack of Aussies.

Great Place with wonderful attention

by TripAdvisor Member PAAbee

This is the second time we have stayed at the Hotel Hermosa and we will definitely return. The hotel is clean, warm, quaint, accomodating, well appointed for the relatively low price. In fact, the bedding has been recently updated to include wonderfully comfortable, new, King beds with plush new pillows and down comforters. Carla Mack, the manager is a very warm and friendly hostess who will engage you in friendly, casual conversation about everything from cooking to travel, and even provide you with some great local shopping and travel tips as well as some of her favorite recipes for entertaining. The Hotel Hermosa is as close to home as you can get in terms of basic comfort and friendliness and the complimentary, self serve breakfast is also great and much appreciated. It's truly a great bargain pricewise and a great find.

Can't beat it at these prices!

by TripAdvisor Member kbockl

As in any major resort destination, finding clean, decent accomodations at a reasonable price can be diffiicult. In a resort area that's also a major metropolis it's frequently impossible. We stumbled across the Hotel Hermosa in March 2007 by accident, and enjoyed our 1-night stay at that time. We returned in July 2007 for a long weekend and were once again pleased. I'm really glad I didn't read some of these reviews first, because the staff was professional and gracious, and the rooms we stayed in both times were clean with mattresses so comfortable I wrote down the brand name so I can finally replace the crummy matteress I sleep on at home! The housekeeping staff was a delight - everyone we met had a big welcoming smile for us. The Japanese garden is beautiful. The continental breakfast is just that - bagels, toast, juice, fresh fruit, hot coffee and hot oatmeal - and it seemed to be replenished when things ran low (but I admit I just grabbed a banana and went out to breakfast someplace else with local friends). Negatives? Sure, the decor could use some updating, and there was one noisy younger group up a little bit late out on their balcony. (Im a generally cranky 50-ish woman who likes her sleep and it didn't annoy me enough to complain about it!) On the whole, at these rates, I'll continue to choose the Hotel Hermosa as my home-away-from home in SoCal.

Cheap for a reason

by TripAdvisor Member frankie_idaho

Fairly nice location, but that's it! Room was old looking and dirty. Found used tissues and latex "products" on the floor. Old, worn towels. Smelled pukey. (maybe other guest got sick from the room). Constant sound of people walking above. When I complained to the manager, she was rude and seemed intoxicated. Shortly after my stay, I noticed unauthorized charges on my card. An all around shady operation. Would NOT recommend!

Think Twice!

by TripAdvisor Member contactjody

I stayed at their most expensive room because there were three of us sharing a room. The downstairs area of this two level "loft" was small, outdated and smelled horribly of smoke and we had a smoker present (who did NOT smoke in the room). The pull out couch would be suitable only if you just needed it to pass out from a drunken stupor as you would not be able to feel the pinch of the rusty springs underneath. Good luck with the TV's as wll if you can get reception. The bathroom was old and moldy. The tiny bedroom upstairs, via a spiral staircase, was not good either as the bed was extremely worn with a lumpy mattress.

The phones were not working as well or if they were working the front desk was always busy so we had to use our cell phones to contact the front desk.

If you need some rest or need to sleep in, look elsewhere, as the noise from Pacific Coast Highway is loud most of the time.

The front desk manager and employees leave little to be desired. They are short, rude and indifferent to anything you may ask for or require assistance on. We had left some items behind and for two months not only called but went there on two occasions but the manager was "just too busy" to check out the lost and found. Nice!

If you are on a budget and will be drinking heavily prior to sleeping there, I would not hesitate to recommend this lodging.

Please email with any particulars and good luck!

Very disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member travelsmith2006

In the area on business. The non-smoking room had the odd odor of cigarette smoke, vomit, mildew and too much air freshener. Requests to the front desk were responded to by Karla as come get it yourself - and I was kept waiting in an empty lobby while she was doing who knows what. 30 minutes into the continental breakfast, the food area was dirty, there was no coffee and no one around to ask to make more. Although I put out the privacy sign, twice during the day staff opened my door without even knocking. At that point I changed to a different hotel in the area and was much happier. Management dismissive and rude.

Dirty, worn, tired, smelly interior....

by TripAdvisor Member briandk

I read a review on here from 2005 praising the "recent renovations" - I cannot imagine that recent renovations from 2005 would deteriorate so quickly so as to appear that the renovations were made in the '80's. The carpets in the entire hotel were dirty: in the hallways, the rooms, the stairs. The carpet in the elevator was filthy. I stayed in a room that was designated a "non-smoking room" but the room smelled like cigarette smoke covered up with cheap air freshener and there were cigarette burns all over the carpet. The walls looked equally old and dirty througout the hotel.

The lobby looked clean and there was a nice fireplace downstairs. The view was nice - from my room window I could see Palos Verdes, the ocean and parts of the city of Hermosa decending toward the ocean. I also had a view of the Japanese Garden which was beautiful.

I really didn't have much contact with the staff apart from checking in and out, but they seemed friendly and helpful.

I would probably not stay there again because I could find something just as bad for much less ;-) for the price I would expect to find something that was, at the minimum, kept clean.

Really disappointing.

by TripAdvisor Member ontheroad2007

I wish I had found this site before I booked my reservation. This hotel is more run down than I expected. Although the lobby is clean and bright, the hallways and rooms are dim and have dirty looking carpet. The beds were pretty comfortable, but the non-smoking designated room smelled of smoke and an attempt to cover it with air freshener. The continental breakfast was pretty lean, messy and no coffee was available the entire time I was in the lobby. One staff member was helpful, most were not. It appeared that someone had been through my luggage while I was out. When I hear "ocean view," I take that to mean I can sit on the patio/balcony/slider and actually see the ocean, which wasn't the case. Parking on returning from dinner was a nightmare with no spots available. I would not recommend this hotel.

Personal service, good location and affordable

by TripAdvisor Member earana

I had made a reservation via Expedia weeks in advance of my arrival. Two days prior to arrival, we decided to arrive to the hotel a day early and called the hotel directly. Not only they were able to accomodate us in short notice, but also, combined the reservation and gave us a lower rate. Just so you know, booking directly with them is cheaper than booking thru an online agent. Breakfast includes: cereal, milk, coffee, bagel and other breads. It is located a 15 min walk to the Hermosa Beach water front. The room was comfortable and although it is right on Route 1, and our room faced the street it was not noisy. We enjoyed ourselves very much!

Loved the People & their Services

by TripAdvisor Member motionman

They treat you like old friends and family. Every time I have stayed there during the past 20 years, the experience has improved since they keep upgrading the staff, the facility and the services.

Comments