Best Western Hollywood Hills Hotel

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 40% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Best Western Hollywood Hills Hotel

Not to shabby

We stayed in a double room from the 12th-17th of June. Walking in the lobby had a very dusty smell. The dinner is at the very front of the hotel, you walk up stairs to get to the very tiny lobby. The wi-fi internet is pretty much limited to the lobby. The person at the desk was nice. It seems as if the hotel is split between to connected buildings? There is a small 2 level garage that fills up fast. We stayed on the first level, the room had a very dusty smell but was very clean. There was no remote control to the TV and the hair dryer was broken, both problems were later fixed after we complained. The bath tub was still kind of dirty. There was a very small pool outside our room that was open to the elements. We paid $87 a night for two full size beds. There was also a frig and microwave which was nice. The noise level was a little loud because we were next to the pool and also no matter where you are located you can hear noise from the street, so ask for a room that has a window facing the mountain. The hotel felt safe. The area is safe and close to hollywood blvd and the highway. I like the fact that it's not on hollywood blvd, that part still seems not so safe. The cafe was a nice place to eat as many people mentioned. After staying at the hotel for a few days we got use to staying there, we would probably stay there again if we were tight on our budget. **** If you want to have a great price go to the best western website and book a room under the corporate rate, they never check*****

Great Hollywood Atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member super996mum

We stayed at this hotel while in Hollywood to see "Wicked, the Musical." I thought the atmosphere was great, and loved the renovated rooms. Staff was very helpful & friendly. We also loved the attached cafe, "Cafe 101." We actually ate there twice. The "old Hollywood" atmosphere was great, and we were within walking distance of Vine St. and the Pantages Theatre.

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member L-Nielsen

During a 3-week trip in California, Vegas, Grand Canyon, this was the worst hotel we experienced (but not the cheapest). The pool is really small and not suitable for more than a short visit. The hotel itself is pretty run-down and could use an update (they where in the progress if refrehing the rooms, I was told). Our room had a half-functioning toilet, and the windows could not be locked (2nd floor, to a side-street). The area is not that interesting, except it is within walking distance (10-15 minutes) to Hollywood Blvd. There is some noise from the nearby freeway.

Refurbished rooms are great

by TripAdvisor Member ToneOslo_Norway

Stayed 3 nights at this hotel and had one of the newly decorated rooms which was really great. Large room with free internet connection, large TV, plenty of space for clothes and a kitchen-area. Huge bathroom (for European standards at least). The hotel is old with quite some interesting history being pictured on the walls. The diner connected to the hotel had the most snotty staff ever experienced, very nice breakfasts but hopeless dinner-meals. Expensive and crowded, seemed to be a favourite spot for locals. No extra service (on the contrary) for hotel guests. Hotel has a good location for driving around and enough (and free) parking spaces. Not very friendly, nor knowlegdeable reception-staff. We got a very good rate and found it to be excellent value for money. Pool area small but nice and clean.

Updated rooms are nice!

by TripAdvisor Member Overhead

Just stayed for a night in one of their recently remodeled rooms and we were impressed. Our 3rd floor room seemed very large even with the two queen beds in it. Bathroom was also very nice with a double-sinks. Only complaints were the run-down elevator (my kids called it the Tower of Terror) and the hot-cold adjustment on the shower -- it seemed as if there was a micron between too hot and too cold and you had to wait a full minute after turning the knob before the temperature of the water coming out of the shower head would actually change. We got lucky with the free parking, although I can see that it would reach capacity very quickly.

Front desk personnel were very friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations. If you're REALLY hungry for a non-run-of-the-mill breakfast, ask them for directions to the Griddle in Hollywood.

The second floor rooms were being remodeled at the time of our stay (July 2005) and the staff said that the 3rd & 4th floors had already been done. Apparently, they're saving the elevator for last. Good value for the price especially if you need/want two queen beds.

Fantastic hotel for price/location

by TripAdvisor Member ddivot

I stayed here with my girlfriend for a night on the tail-end of a work trip to LA. The location is great, lots of free parking.

The rooms are arranaged around a central courtyard which contains the smallish (but nice-looking) pool. We got what I guess was a refurbished room, and I thought it was knockout/stunning for the price. There were renovations going on in the hotel at the time - they were knocking hell out of a room or two, so we may have been just lucky to get a brand-new one.

But for location, room, parking, and price, I just couldn't fault it. Having checked tens of other LA area hotels on this site and others, I've rebooked for 2 nights here in Jan 06!

Fantastic Value

by TripAdvisor Member DJ_Billy

I stayed at this hotel for a week in November '05 and overall it was excellent value.

The location is very good for access to Hollywood. The only downside is that it's just the wrong side of the 101 freeway, which means that you have to walk under dark underpasses at night. We never saw anything shiftier than the odd bum though. There are plenty of parking spaces, although it can be difficult to park late at night.

There are two blocks to the hotel: a road-side block and then one set back from the road (with the rooms surrounding the pool). We had a huge, recently refurbished corner room in the road-side block. It was a twin room but the beds were actually queen-size. There was a TV with all the usual channels and a handy fridge. The bathroom was also large and the only (slight) problem was that the shower was a little temperamental.

There's a small pool in the middle of the block at the back, although we didn't use it due to the bad (by LA stadards at least) weather.

Cafe 101 (just next to the lobby) is a high quality diner-style rstaurant which is open for all but 4 hours of the day (3am - 7am).

There's a couple of small convenience stores and a liquor store just down the road. For a larger supermarket check out Ralph's on Sunset just east of LaBrea.

Nightmare in Hollywood

How awful can one place be? From a broken ice machine to the black algea in the pool this was a nightmare. First the fridge didn't work, then the light in the kitchen didn't work.

I had planned to share with a pal for two days prior to joining my old roommate for a long over due reunion. My promised room never materialized until hours after promised causing me to lose dinner reservations. The new room was down three flights of steep stairs and no one ever showed up to help me move my bags! But as an lame jesture they left a forty-nine cent Hersheys bar in my room.

But the best was that everytime I called the desk to find out the status of my room they charged me three bucks a call, for their mistake. Letters and phone calls to management netted me not even an apology. I am very ill and these jokers ruined what should have been a memorable vacation. Save the frustrations and head to Beverly Hills.

Good value

by TripAdvisor Member Robyn3127

This hotel was clean and comfortable, and easily accessible to the metro to Universal Studios. The adjacent coffee shop, 101, had good food, a wide menu and quick service. We ate there a number of times and all our meals were appetising and enjoyable. It was really good to be able to have a choice of food, not just hamburgers and pizzas. We walked around the area at night without a problem, although there were a number of destitute people under the freeway. The rooms were clean, although a bit dark. Make sure that you are not at pool level, as it can be a bit noisy. The elevator also broke down while we were there and was not fixed for a few days.The walk to Mann's Chines Theatre is about 20 minutes, but an easy walk and a good way to make up for the breakfast pancakes!There are also a few reasonably priced internet cafes along the way.

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member latsmi

We had a room with two queen beds that we were told had been completely renovated. Everything in the room looked new and the bathroom was done in marble, had mirrors everywhere, two sinks and a very large shower. Room comes with microwave and refrigerator which was very nice to have.

Location can't be beat if you'll be doing anything regarding Universal Studios or touring Hollywood Blvd. Even all the Burbank studios were only a seven minute drive away.

The room we had did face very busy Franklin and it was indeed loud with traffic and pedestrians. If you'll be sleeping with the air conditioning on however, you can't hear the noise.

Only downside is the rooms could have been a tad cleaner. However, if you're not too particular and don't go looking for dust and dirt, you won't really find it.

If possible, ask for one of the renovated rooms. I would definitely stay here again.

Crash site from War of the worldsCrash site from War of the worlds

See the real set of central PerkSee the real set of central Perk

View of the Hollywood sign from the mallView of the Hollywood sign from the mall

The mallThe mall

HOLLYWOOD SIGN SECRETS!

by Travelholic123

A while ago, I found a post where someone found the perfect close up spot to see the Hollywood Sign.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the post I am looking for.

I have been to Hollywood before and see the sign from Muholland Drive, but this time want to get closer.

What are your secret places for up close views of the sign? Thank you!

by Agraichen

Check the roads off Franklin near Western.

by Odinnthor

You really cannot get theat close, but there is a way.......d:o)

Here are the instructions. If they disappoint you, know that most people never get this close, and it IS as close as you can get. Good luck!

by al2401

I have a great photo taken with a zoom lens from the back row of the Hollywood Bowl.

by travelgourmet

Sunset and Bronson has a great view of the Hollywood sign. I once lived on Beachwood Dr. off Franklin Ave in Hollywood and you can drive up pretty close once in Beachwood Canyon. Pssst! Now the real secret. If you feel like hiking, go to Franklin Ave and up Canyon Dr. toward the sign. Near the end of Canyon Dr. is a hiking trail called Brush Canyon. It is a long way to the sign and they now have security around the sign with fences and cameras, so I don't know just how close you can now be allowed to get to the HOLLYWOOD sign. Good Luck!

Comments