HIGHLAND GARDENS HOTEL

Highland Gardens Hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• Hollywood Hell

Stayed 3 days in this hell-hole. The family suit had 3 regular size beds that were back breaking hard. 2 of the full "old fashioned" tvs did not work. The tv in the family room came on itself, volume blaired and then went off. When we ask the front staff to replace they came and changed the 1950 extension cord that did not fix the problem. It took 2 days to finally get it replaced. The walls had holes, the bedrooms had no vents, the full kitchen was lacking with gross mismatched plates no bowels etc. The shower was very short and mostly cold. The pool was dirty and trash lying about. When we asked for partial refund the manager did not return our repeated calls and had to bird dog her (Marie) to get a measly $100 off a $1300 bill. The "continental" breakfast was a joke. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. .LA Metro works great and I would therefore stay someplace else and ride in!

Unique Quality: None!

More about Hollywood

Waterworld showWaterworld show

What famous 1980´s movie alley is this?What famous 1980´s movie alley is this?

The famous watertankThe famous watertank

The viewing levelsThe viewing levels

Best photo opportunity for Hollywood sign

by bjones277

I have been researching the best places to get a photo of the Hollywood sign, not just a zoom job from a distance but a location where I can take a pic of myself and wife in front of the sign so the sign stands out pretty clear in the picture.

I have been told about the Griffith Observatory, 3000 and 3116 Canyon Lake Drive, Hollywood and Highland Center, 3384 Deronda Dr. Los Angeles.

Because I won't be driving in Hollywood, would asking a taxi driver to take us to any of these places be the best thing to do? or would the taxi drivers know the perfect spots? I don't really know.

Thanks

by painterdave

Hello,
Sorry to tell you this, but you have seen a lot of movies where a helicopter gets up close, etc.
Can you rent one? Otherwise, you will be standing like the rest of the tourist, me included, on the street below.
Dave

by Donna_in_India

There are several spots from where you can see the sign. Check:www.hollywoodsign.org/see.html

We had a great view of the sign from the Hollywood and Highland Center. Got some decent photos from there. Contrary to some information, you cannot climb up to the sign.

by Agraichen

I'd suggest going up Beachwood to the top and then walking up the trail. You can not get as close as in the past but you can get a pretty good shot.

If you don't want to make that trip, you can get the "zoom shot" from the Kodak Theater on Highland.

by Paisleypaul

Donna' s answer is totally spot on.

From about 3rd floor level of the H&H mall there is an open courtyard which gives a great photo opportunity.

You cannot go right up to the sign, but the H&H mall gives such a vantage point that there is a telescope there (think you need a quarter). My small Hollywood homepage uses my photograph through that lense

Travel Tips for Hollywood

Save The Peak

by MJL

Preservationists covered over the Hollywood sign with a banner reading “Save the Peak” to help raise public awareness and the $11.7 million needed to buy the 138-acre tract and prevent its development. If there is one thing which people all aroud the world recognise is this Hollywood Sign. It's so american that private organisations and persons must buy a land and then give it to the city.

finding VT

by richiecdisc

The obligatory shot is also a fun one to get. Head out to the hills and grab that photo of the famed "Hollywood" sign. You know you want to. It was the fall of 2001 when my Dad mentioned to me that there was a website about travel he read about in the paper. My Dad knew nothing about websites or the Internet and I had only just been truly exposed to it the previous year. But he knew I loved to travel and I guess he knew I had a story or two to tell. The site was called Virtual Tourist he said and explained it had a c-o-m at the end.

I went to the site that afternoon and build my first page, Chile. As chance would have it, I had scanned a load of photos the previous spring and in the next couple months I started to spin a few tales and meet some new friends. Some of them unbeknownst to me were the very people that owned and operated the site. I guess I should have been tipped off when one of them suggested I change my member photo, explaining that other members might like to see my face better. That person was G and like good VT members that hit it off in mails, we hoped to meet one day. In our case, it would have to be for a beer.

Many years passed and I never got to the LA area or any of the big VT meetings around the world but when planning a big six-month camping trip around the US in the spring of 2008 I immediately let G know I was heading his way. It would be a brief appearance. LA is an expensive city and with a tight budget and many natural wonders in the Western US, it would be a pit-stop to refuel and meet a few friends. Two months into the trip, we finally landed in LA. After sixty days of tent camping and backpacking, we had succumbed to the creature comforts of a room in Vegas the night previous but we were still ready for a bit more of the city before returning to the wilds of the National Parks. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

Mystery trees

by Paisleypaul

As per my forum posting - can anyone name these trees? Look llike the cherry blossoms here in Scotland but not...

so ran my forum posting a good while back ! Thanks to Linda (VT lkmluque) ad others for identifying these jacaranda trees

First prints of stars

by Herwig1961

At front of the chinese theater you can find the first prints done by stars.There are different stories how it came to the prints.Fact is that ,Mr.Sid Graumann invited on 17.May 1927 Norma Talmadge,Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks to put their prints in the cement(all 3 stars at this time)The first walk of fame so to say. Hollywood Blvd.

hollywood

by fabrice

of course it is not any longer the best place to live in los angeles, many people decided to buy their house in malibu , bel air , or pacific palisades . Anyway it is a very large area , my youth hostel was here, so having no car, I had much time to walk in the neighbourhood ; it is true that the eastern part is almost unsafe at night ,to the east after vine street .

But still, you are in the USA , in california, in los angeles , the place where all your dreams become true if you are smart and hard-working

Comments