Homewood Hotels

• karenincalifornia profile photo karenincalifornia
  • Reviews: 1375

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tahoe Pines House: Our weekend lodgings

During the first weekend of February, 2005, my daughter and I rented a house called "Tahoe Pines", which was managed by Tahoe Luxury Properties. We absolutely loved this house. It was beautifully decorated in a southwestern style, and everything was in excellent condition. The kitchen was fully equipped, which is a big plus for me, since I actually enjoy cooking on my vacations.

This home has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. It has the following amenities: pool table, outdoor hot tub, radiant heated floors, pine beds with down comforters, plush towels, two person jacuzzi tub in master bath, high speed internet access (wireless), wood burning fireplace, stereo system, cable TV, DVD player.

We thought the DVD collection was a bit limited. We watched "This is Spinal Tap" the first night (a favorite of mine) and "Toy Story" the second night (for lack of anything better). Next time we rent this house, we'll probably bring up our own DVDs.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average

• karenincalifornia profile photo karenincalifornia
  • Reviews: 1375

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tahoe Luxury Rentals: Rent a house

Lodging is limited on the west shore. Unlike all the other parts of Lake Tahoe, the west shore does not have wall-to-wall condos and motels.

Your best bet is to rent a house. If you rent a house with several people, the cost per person is quite a bargain. I have never had a problem finding a suitable rental in the area, even at the last minute.

My favorite rental agency by far is Tahoe Luxury Rentals. Don't equate "luxury" with "great expense." This agency does have some very expensive homes for rent, but they also have many economic rentals as well.

Do note that Tahoe Luxury Rentals requires 100% of the payment in advance and they make it very clear to you the payment is nonrefundable. Therefore, we have never booked a house with this agency unless we were absolutely committed.

I have been happy with every single home we have rented from Tahoe Luxury Rentals. All the homes are in superb condition and beautifully decorated . (Well, ok, the funky one we rented during P-week with its East Indies decor and what looked like shrunken heads on the walls didn't exactly make me want to call up Architectural Digest and demand that they feature that home.)

I highly recommend this agency, particularly if you are planning to stay on Lake Tahoe's west shore. It is the only agency in the area with a decent selection of west shore homes.

• Opinion of Price: about average