Inverness Hotels

• Sankhya profile photo Sankhya
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Blackthorne Inn: Disappointing Stay in Inverness

We live in San Francisco and love to go to the beautiful Point Reyes area for getaway weekends. We have stayed at several properties in the area, and decided to give Blackthorne Inn a try, because we were intrigued by their “Eagle’s Nest” room, which looks kind of like a tree house.

On their web site, this room and the property are described as “magical,” “luxurious”, and “romantic”. Balderdash! I am sorry to say it disappointed greatly—especially at $375 per night (with taxes). The Eagle’s Nest room is very small with a double bed that appears to be even smaller than a standard double bed, and with a mattress and pillows that must be at least 30 years old. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever slept on a worse bed in all my travels.

When you walk in the room you are confronted with an overwhelming smell of mothballs. Then you must contend with insects—not a lot, but even a couple are too many at this price. The lighting in the room is abysmal; it’s so dim that it’s almost impossible to read. There is no headboard to the bed—it is just free-standing and not against a wall—so you can’t read in bed. Two uncomfortable wicker chairs are provided, each flanking a rather pathetic, tiny electric fireplace. Fortunately, the room is so small that the electric fire, though charmless, warmed it well.

Another disappointment is that the bathroom is outside. It says this on the web site, but I didn’t register it, so this one is my fault. But heaven help you if you have to go in the middle of the night! Bring slip-on shoes and a coat, and use the flashlight that is in the room.

There is also a hot tub outside on the way to the bathroom, but we didn’t use it. The employee who took us to our room explained how to remove the covers, etc., but it just seemed like too much trouble and the deck itself is not a very pretty place.

For this kind of money, I expect a room to have more than just novelty value. It should be comfortable, nicely furnished, and the experience shouldn’t be akin to “roughing it”—that’s for camping trips.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average