1859 Historic National Hotel, A Country

18183 Main Street, P.O. Box 502, JAMESTOWN, CALIFO
1859 Historic National Hotel
Booking.com Priceline.com Official Site

More about Jamestown

I miss food like thisI miss food like this

The Jamestown HotelThe Jamestown Hotel

Old VinesOld Vines

Local antiquesLocal antiques

Travel Tips for Jamestown

Jamestown CA Gold Country

by mrtopproducer

"Sunday Morning in Jamestown"

After day's of rain the sun broke out, and I took a morning walk through the street's of Jamestown, CA. Located in the CA Gold Coutry.

Jamestown and the Gold Country are a perfect location to visit the Mother Lode.

Small quaint cities such as Columbia, Sonora, Twain Harte, Angels Camp ,Murphy's.

About 2.5 to 3 Hours east of the Bay Area off hwy 120/49

"Charm of Historic Building and loads of History"

Find that perfect antique, order a latte from a local merchant and just pass some time.

"Peacefull setting"

A great location and a nice getway that is close to the central Valley, and the Bay Area.

Jamestown, California's Gold Country

by D&ZP

"An old "greybeard" lives here."

Hi everyone! Name's Dave. Live between Oakdale and Jamestown in the California foothills. Formerly from New Hampshire, I've been living in the Central Valley since 1979. Been around this planet for a good number of years and hope to have a good number yet to go. Born and raised in NH, travelled a bit while in the Navy, rode with a motorcycle club in the Northeastern U.S., spent some time in Colorado and ended up in California. A long and convaluted path from point A to point B. Have enjoyed life even with all its ups and downs. A few journeys over the years. Varied professions as well. Am I settled down now? Maybe. :-) Been in the same profession for better than 20 years now so think I'll stick with it.

"What's Next?"

No answer to that question. I have never managed to find a working crystal ball so the future will remain a mystery. I prefer it that way. A few more journeys are planned. As to whether they come to fruitition, well again, no crystal ball. A visit to the east coast to introduce my wife and her daughter to the rest of my family is in our near future. As they are both from Russia I want to show them more of this country as well as where I grew up. Trips to Canada and perhaps Mexico are a possibility. Short trips and/or excursions up and down California as well as into neighboring states.

"Things to see and do in California."

Where can I start... So much to see and do here. Within a short drive there is Yosemite National Park, Dodge Ridge (skiing), Bear Valley, Lake Alpine (kayaking), numerous lakes/reservoirs for all types of water recreation, former Gold Towns, Ghost towns (Columbia & Bodie), historical sites. Rivers for white water recreation and fishing. Highway 49 goes through Jamestown and all along it one can find interesting small towns with a "Gold Rush" area past. Railtown 1897 in Jamestown and the Railroad Museum in Sacramento. Lake Tahoe is a couple hours away as is San Francisco. Monterey Bay Aquarium. Head to Southern California for Disneyland, Universal Studios, San Diego Zoo. What do you want to do? You'll probably find it here. What have we done? Much of the above with plans to do a lot more. Jamestown itself is a small community. Antique shops line the main street. Historic places and buildings are in abundance throughout the immediate area. Columbia is a "restored" gold town just north of Sonora. Chinese Camp also holds some interesting history. Drive east on Highway 108 over Sonora Pass and you'll find the town of Bridgeport. Not too far away is the "ghost town" of Bodie. Mono Lake is in the vicinity as well. Like I said, lots of things to do around here.

Jamestown

by KevinMichael

"We came upon this little place..."

After driving for several hours (at 200 mph) from the Bay Area we came upon this wonderful little town. Jamestown, that is. I felt like I was in the country. The people working & living here have such interesting stories that I felt completely removed from the cities and partially removed from reality. We didn't just feel geographically removed, but culturally as well.

One waitress (working in a restaurant close to the Jamestown Hotel) told me her story of once coming out to California in hopes of becoming an actress. She did do some kind of actress work in the 80`s in Japan, but at some point she went home, came to California to further her acting career, bought a house with a swimming pool, and has been raising several kids ever since.
She was a little weird but nice... kind of something out of a Stephen King movie... so in a way, she kind of ended up like an actress. Come to think of it.. this town has a bit of a Stephen King strange town atmosphere... remember Pet Cemetary... we`ll it has that kind of feel about it.

My wife says, "People are a little different here." Twighlight Zone theme song playing in the background...

I think it is this that really makes Jamestown attractive. The overall weirdness is both erie and cool.

Comments