Jamestown Hotel

18153 Main Street, Jamestown, California, 95327, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

• Had a blast

Stayed at this hotel with a group of girls and utilized 2 rooms. The room we stayed in had paranormal stuff going on, purses knocked over with contents spilled out when we know we left them zipped up. On our last day we were getting ready to leave and I was going to go into another room to get the candy they have in bowls, was just lifting my leg to step over the rope when I heard someone say my name right in my ear, loud enough to make me stop and say "what" as I turned to look at who it was...no one there....my hair stood on end and I got out of there quickly. I have never had a ghost say my name in my ear before, very trippy.... the hotel was nice and we had a blast in Jamestown!!

Unique Quality: great old timey feel, loved the bar and the whole ambiance

Directions: right or left...fun awaits

• Karnubawax's Profile Photo

Feel the History!

The California Gold Rush Country is full of great old hotels dating back to the wild days of the early prospectors. The Jamestown may just be one of the nicest.

Built in the 1850’s, the hotel features a swanky restaurant, old-time bar, and 11 rooms, all featuring antiques, private baths with clawfoot tubs, and oodles of Victorian charm.

I just LOVE old hotels, particularly old Gold Rush era hotels. Now, a real authentic 49er era hotel was a pretty spartan affair; usually the bath was down the hall, and the noise from the saloon was deafening. So it’s not quite so authentic and maybe that’s a good thing!

Room rates run from about $90-175 and include a full breakfast. Since I was on my own, I went for the cheap room (dubbed the Nellie Cashman). The room was gorgeous, with beautiful period antiques (check out the desk!), a ceiling fan, lovely artwork, and really cool wallpaper! The view wasn’t so hot, but I bet if I’d splurged on the pricey room it would’ve been. There was no TV and I didn’t miss it. They did, however, have free wireless internet!

The other big historic hotel in town is the National. I stopped in and the hotel manager was nice enough to show me around the place. It is equally gorgeous, but a good deal more expensive – all of their available rooms were $140. I think the Jamestown may just be a better value.

Oh, and lest I forget… if you stay in Room 7, you may have an encounter with the hotels’ resident ghost!

Directions: Right on Main Street, you can't miss it.

• KevinMichael's Profile Photo

Stay in a Haunted Hotel

This was a wonderful hotel. I`d really love to stay here again but, my wife isn`t into encounters of the metaphysical kind.

If you really want a COOL experience stay here and go for Diamon Lil`s room!!!!

My wife felt something strange about the room just after we started unpacking (room #7? Diamond Lil). After a while, we came across a journal of others who`ve stayed in the room (it`s left on a chest there at the foot of the bed for anyone to read). From the book we learned about the hauntings of the room.

Apparently over a hundred years ago or so, an Irish immigrant came here to deliver her child... what is today a hotel was at that time a hospital. According to the story, she learned of her lover`s death (his family had prevented him from marrying her because she was Irish, and he being British was sent off to fight in India where he ended up dying in some battle).
    During the attempted delivery of her baby, both she and her unborn child died (??in that room??). And from that point on, it is said that she has been haunting the room. I woke up several times during the night both anxious and curious at the chance of seeing a ghost.
    No luck.

In the morning, I found out that she usually only appears to children.

The hotel next to this one is apparently haunted by even more active ghosts. If you want a scarier chance at the paranormal, I recommend going there because some quest experience poltergeist like activity (things being thrown across the room and the like. COOL, huh.)

We also got a nice deal because it was our honeymoon.

Our room (Diamond Lil) had:
    -a skylight
    -2 beds
    -a chest at the foot of the bed
    -THE BEST SHOWER I`VE EVER USED
    -a part-time ghost (doesn`t always show up for work)
    -enough space and so, rather comfortable

Unique Quality: Breakfast is included (Bed&Breakfast)

Directions: Just a few miles towards Sonora past the turn off that goes to Yosemite

18153 Main Street