3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

More about Timber Cove Inn

Love the Timbercove Inn

by TripAdvisor Member Traveller014

If you want to get away from the world for just one night or longer, this is the place. We have been staying at the Timbercove Inn a few times over the last 5 years, always loved it for it's location and the architecture that blends in perfectly with the cove it is located on. I knew that the property was for sale and that it had been declining in terms of product and service. I am glad it found a new owner that updated what was needed and brought in a team of professionals to bring back it's charm. The room was clean, recently remodeled, new carpet and paint, bed and linens luxurious and soft, we enjoyed the shower in the room with ocean view. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and had an excellent meal. Service was friendly and attentive. We enjoyed an after dinner drink outside by the big fire pit a lot. We will be back!

Best Customer Service Ever!

by TripAdvisor Member SanRafaelChick

A friend and I stayed at Timber Cove Inn on a recent weekend "get over the boyfriend" girls getaway. We loved it! We decided spur of the moment and called around to a few places in and around Jenner. We didn't really know which places were the best, so when one of the other places kind of coldly stated their rate and hung up, and the Timber Cove Inn reception was really nice, we decided to book there. "Deanne" (I think that was her name?) on the phone told us all about the place, asked if we had questions, offered us a discount, and was incredibly friendly. She even offered a free breakfast voucher to us. So off we went.

The drive up there is incredible- views for miles. When we arrived, we were again met with the nicest people ever. The name of the reception desk woman has slipped my mind, but she was very very nice. She said because we were booked in a "forest view" room, she wanted to offer us a free upgrade to an ocean view room so we could "get the full experience" for our first visit. She gave us keys to two rooms besides ours and let us go up to check them out and decide which we liked best! We ended up getting an incredibly generous upgrade to a large room (#100 or 200, can't remember which) at the very end with a king sized bed, fireplace, pull-out couch, in-room hot tub, in-room sauna, and a private deck with a view of the ocean and the hillside to the other side. Really great. The bedding was very comfortable and clean. It's true that the decor is not the most contemporary (tiles are a bit outdated in the bathroom, and it's not the sleek modern lines of city hotels), but part of the charm is it's wooden beachy style, and it's very very clean and the amenities are all very top line. Great little natural shampoos and conditioner, and two fluffy white robes for us to use as we enjoyed our "mini spa" in our room. I was worried because I read guest reviews here and on another site, and they were mixed, some raving, some complaining. Trust me, it's a very clean, nice place, and I am someone who has a paranoia about unclean hotels. I was very pleased. What do you expect in a remote hotel in the woods above the sea? Sleek minimalist lines and complete sterility? I can't believe people complained about raccoons and seagulls being outside. Hello! You are in nature! There are critters and leaves and salty air outside. That's kind of the point.

We arrived at sunset, so we ran out to the seating around the hotel's fire pit that sits out above the ocean. What a view! Breathtaking! The bartender opened our bottle of wine for us and gave us some glasses, and we sat out there and watched the sun set as we toasted to new opportunities. A man came out to light the fire pit, and amazingly, returned with a cheese plate for us! The rest of the weekend, we called him "the cheese angel". We returned to our room to unpack (plenty of closet space!), lit the fire (gas fireplace), and prepared for dinner.

Now, the kitchen would be the hotel's only weak point. Our waitress was very very nice, and the food was OK, but it was very very S-L-O-W that evening. Our waitress did say the chef was out that night, so I have no idea if that's normal, but I would probably have gone to eat somewhere else if I knew it would take that long (2 hours!)

We hung out in front of the large fire place in the lounge after dinner, listening to the piano player, who was very good (when we were checking out, another guest was raving about his talent, so it wasn't just us who noticed).

In the morning, we called in our breakfast order to be delivered to our room. When it hadn't arrived an hour later, my friend went down to ask. She returned with a bottle of champagne they gave her to apologize and said the kitchen had forgotten to put our order in. So, even though the kitchen needs to tighten up their routine, we were able to overlook it because the personal attention and friendliness is so exceptional. I have never experienced such customer service, even at bigger and more upscale hotels. And I have to say, our breakfast arrived 10 minutes after my friend went down to enquire, wheeled into our room with apologies. Breakfast, by the way, was very tasty, with generous portions and many choices (omelets, pancakes, lox, etc.) Because the weather was unusually nice (global warming), we ate on our private deck, looking out at the sea.

After that, we went for a walk down to the edge of the ocean, on the hotel's property. Wow. It's truly stunning. So beautiful there. Just don't get too close to the edge of the cliff! I noticed that there is a sand beach on top of the cliffs, which must be nice in the summer. After that, we reluctantly checked out, the reception very attentive and enquiring if we had any problems with our stay (they noted the restaurant delay and again apologised). We noticed the "cheese angel"in the lounge as we were leaving and said goodbye, off to explore Salt Point State Park (just a few minutes up the road).

I would definitely stay there again. I have never been treated like such a queen or met a nicer staff. And after having curiously checked out the other places we had called in Jenner, which were all right near the traffic of Highway 1, I can now safely say that the Timber Cove Inn has the best location hands down, set back off the highway, overlooking an unobstructed ocean view. I'm definitely going to go back. Maybe when I get a boyfriend again!

Loved the inn, not the food service

by TripAdvisor Member bobotr

We have stayed at Timbercove at least a dozen times in the past. It has always been one of our favorite getaways. We did not stay last year because of all of the negative experiences shared on this and other sites We were excited when we learned about new owners wanting to renovate and upgrade this terrific facility. We spent a night at Timbercove in December to celebrate our anniversary as we have so many times in the past.
First the good news. We were very pleased with the changes made during the renovation. We had a spa room on the first floor outside near the parking lot. We found it to be a wonderful room and really appreciated what had been done to it. We have always loved the large gathering room with the fireplace and the bar and it is even better than before. We found all of the staff to be very friendly and attentive to our needs.
We were, however, very disappointed with the food service. My wife had a seafood dish --a kind of of stew or soup and found it to be average. I had a rib-eye steak and it was terrible. I did not like the way it was prepared, and more importantly, the meat was of poor quality compared to other steaks I have had recently.
Overall, our experience was wonderful, but the poor food service may affect whether we return next year because of the fact there are no other dining choices near the inn. I hope the food situation is rectified because we would love to continue coming to Timbercove.

Nothing like the true experience will tell you...

by TripAdvisor Member Robisonoma

We both needed a time out/away from the day-to-day grind. I wanted to surprise my wife with a romantic appreciative getaway.

1 hour and a half driving time from the Bay Area we arrived on the twisting turning foggy/rainy coast above Fort Ross. Of all the days we chose, January, forecasted sunny, it wasn't...it was wet with visibility challenging.

We arrived at 4PM just as the check-in stated and found the lights beaming and the fireplace warming our welcome. We checked into our "suite" and soaked in the ambiance from the upstairs railing. Several couples and a few singles sitting around the grand activity or inactivity room, whichever you prefer. There was a huge high beamed ceiling framed in natural wood and glass decor, sort of craftsman like, with comfortably placed sofas, soft chairs and a baby grand piano. A beautiful wood planked bar, fully stocked, along the side of the grand room, separating the dining room from the huge sitting room. Snapped a great photo from the upstairs balcony. Our suite was comfortably apportioned, a surreal ocean front view of the coastline, cliffs, Bennie Bufano statue and white water cove below. The room was large, a flamed gas stove and jacuzzi tub. An extra double bed in an another room for children was available, however they don't have a separate bathroom. The room was comfortable, clean, quiet and private. I recommend viewing the options for different rooms while you visit for future accommodations. We did have a little hot water issue. Seems we were competing with other users, as the water would cool off and then warm up again. Not enough to say we wouldn't love to return.

The food was an even better delight!

Frozen and Hungry...

by TripAdvisor Member DayDreamer9

It was a dark and stormy Valentine's Night, and our hoped-for romantic getaway turned weird and strange. Frozen, as the room's gas heater (rebuilt that very night by Ernesto) barely kept the room above 40F, with dirt and rain blowing in gusts through the "sealed cracks" of the ocean-side sliding door. Hungry, as our 3-course dinner turned into a 3 hour mostly foodless affair with food apparently coming out of the kitchen according to some bizarre lottery scheme. The wine and company were great. It's a fantastic location...do yourself a favor...and stay further up or down the coast...

Overpriced, Great View & Dark, Dark, Dark

by TripAdvisor Member 2PoorTeachers

We just returned from a one night post-Valentine's Weekend getaway. Timber Cove's view is spectacular, the hotel lobby-bar-restaurant is nice and apparently recently renovated. Dinner and the complimentary breakfast were great. The rooms we saw are looking a bit run-down. We tried two different upstairs (Forestview=ParkingLot View rooms) at each end of the lobby. Both were roomy with high ceilings, dark redwood floor to ceiling plank wall coverings and extremely poor lighting. The sofa in the room is in a dark corner with a nearby small table lamp but not enough light to read by. Using the emergency power failure lantern provided in the room, we were able to set the thermostat on the gas fireplace. Bathroom was small and unimpressive. The staff was pleasant and helpful. Bring your own lamps and enjoy your stay.

Valentines weekend from Hell......

by TripAdvisor Member ShawnWalnutCreek

Well, I do not even know where to start to describe the 3 day valentines weekend that I spent at Timber Cove.

We checked in on Friday night looking forward to a quiet Valentines getaway weekend. Shortly after checking in to our room we realized that the ceiling of our room was actually a deck for the suite above. The realization kept walking back and forth until about 3 am wearing boots and heels, so relaxing. The next morning we asked if we could move rooms (we really did not want to due to the fabulous views but the noise was unbearable) and was promptly told sorry and that all we can do is let the room above know that there is something afoot. Can you say awkward?

Then came the fateful Valentine's dinner. As far as I could tell the price fix menu looked great as I saw it delivered to many tables around except ours. It was 2 HOURS and 5 MINUTES until I got my "giant sea scallops" appetizer but unfortunately there was only ONE scallop (the surrounding tables all had 2 scallops with their appetizer)--can you say we are running out of food. After this humiliation and the fact we had been there over 2 hours for one scallop we just had to leave. Trust me we tried not to leave. My girlfriend talked to the maitre de and we both talked to our waitress (when we could find her). But ONE scallop.....just had to cut my losses at this point. The most bizarre thing about dinner though was watching a couple who came in literally 2 steps in front of us for a 7:30 seating as well were having desert and coffee while I was staring blankly at my ONE scallop. The service was highly disorganized and I really felt like I was in the twilight zone. The dining manager came over with a bottle of champagne to apologize for the experience but all I wanted was food....is that too much to ask?

The next day we avoided the premises and drove up and down the coast enjoying a wonderful dinner at Sea Ranch. BTW, that place is a class act .

Upon check out we voiced our concerns and the assistant manager was very sympathetic and quite nice. She comped one nights room but I would have liked to pay double and just had a nice weekend.

I unfortunately cannot recommend Timber Cove in fact I would discourage you from going.

Good luck.

The ambience is untouchable. The dining unforgettable!

by TripAdvisor Member mariavs

We have enjoyed the Timber Cove since the days of no TV's and telephones in the rooms! & Big redwood planks as counter tops. It was a place to go and "checkout" of the real world..still is. No cell service either! We just visited there again last week for my husband's 60th birthday. Had a great room over looking the ocean as usual. And the Tasting Menu was one the most memorable dinners we have had. Jon did a great job of pairing each course with the perfect wine. It was so fun to just savor every bit, with a sip of wine and talk about the textures and flavors we were experience and how the wine complimented it! I have to say, every time we have stayed there over the past 20 years, the meals have been consistently good. We are looking forward to going back this summer for our 40th Anniversary and having the experience again! And another trip with a group of friends to share the tasting menu experience. GREAT JOB!! I don't recommend the hotel for everyone, you have to want to just relax, unwind and enjoy!

Remarkable

by TripAdvisor Member CFU

We can truly recommend this hotel to anybody who is looking for a quiet get away. The drive up there is a bit long but it is definately worth it. Do not expect a hotel in which you will check your mobile, email for messages or do sightseeing, but a real get away just to relax and enjoy the scenery. We had a ocean front room and have not seen the other room types but this room was really spacious, beautiful, clean, well equipped (no tv, but thats great sometimes), and has a view you can't beat. In the morning our balcony was visited by a curious seagull and in the evening by a really cute racoon...And the staff is very welcoming and nice. When we checked-in I had a very bad cold and had troubles talking. One of the staff came out of the office and gave me a bottle of water and the girl who checked us in brought me a tea to the room and didn't even want to accept a tip. Truly dedicated staff just make the difference to make you feel welcome and at home. Beeing a travel agent I have travelled a lot and this is one of the hotels which I will always recall pleasantly.

A fun romantic few days

by TripAdvisor Member marguay

We had been here about 35 years ago and had good memories, so it was wonderful to return and relive the visit. The inn has been recently updated and is very comfortable, both in the rooms and the large lobby. The food is wonderful and very imaginative. We enjoyed eating at the bar and chatting with some of the locals as well as other guests.
As it wasn' t busy midweek, the chef did some fun variations of the menu for us.
This is not the place for to expect a sleek five star experience, but if you like things a bit rustic and cozy with wonderful food and a friendly staff of locals, along with killer views, this is the place for a great getaway.

Jim and Patti Day Taos NM

Kayakers Enjoy the BeachKayakers Enjoy the Beach

The Coast at JennerThe Coast at Jenner

Seals Sunbathe Near the Mouth of the Russian RiverSeals Sunbathe Near the Mouth of the Russian River

The mouth of the Russian RiverThe mouth of the Russian River