9700 N Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, California, 92037, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• bookworm101's Profile Photo

Superb service

Excellent service and delightful and unusual food. Lovely grounds and most rooms have great views.

Would recommend finding a car service if you intend to visit downtown LaJolla. There is no parking and Estancia is a 15 minute drive away (not walkable).

Unique Quality: Wonderful grounds. It is hard to believe you are right next to Torry Pines Road

• KarinL's Profile Photo

Great, Upscale Hotel Across from UCSD

Very nice, very large hotel right across the street from UCSD on Torrey Pines Road. Great for families visiting students at the university. Also great for conference groups as they have many facilities for that, as well as two nice restaurants and a wine bar on the premises. Very nice grounds. There is also a spa, but I didn't have time to check that out. Rooms are very comfortable, nicely decorated, quiet. Ours had a view of the parking lot, but a nice balcony. I recommend getting the courtyard or garden view - probably more expensive. My main complaint would be that it is not close to downtown La Jolla (i.e. Prospect Street) You have to drive about 10-15 minutes to get there, then find parking.

Unique Quality: Spa, two restaurants and a wine/dessert bar on the premises.

More about Estancia La Jolla Hotel

Estancia La Jolla is the best romantic getaway in the So. Cal. area!

by TripAdvisor Member Chelli

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa was an overwhelming positive surprise for our special occasion. We received great price value, personalized warm service and a feeling of serenity from their California Rancho atmosphere. The staff is excellent and the grounds are inspiring. We will return often and recommend it to anyone...families would enjoy it too as it is so close to the beach and attractions.

Relaxing and Upscale

by TripAdvisor Member GregK

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Estancia and we were very pleased. The grounds are fantastic with fountauins and gravel paths and nice landscaping. The hotel itself is 3 stories. We stayed on the ground floor with a room opening towards the courtyard, which I would recommend if you have children ie easy acess to the large grassy courtyards. All staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are nice sized.

The hotel is relatively new so everything is in tip top shape. Several outdoor fireplaces, which is nice as it gets cool in the evenings. The one drawback was lack of service at the pool. When I finally got someone to take an order I ended up paying about $14 for a margarita! The drink was $9 which was OK but to be hit with a $2 delivery charge and having tax and tip included in the bill didn't seem very fair. It was like a room service charge for a drink at the pool. I was told you could order food at the pool, but I had the feeling it again would be a room service type of deal. There are 2 retaurants on the property, Adobe serves breakfast and dinner and Mustangs and Burros which is more like an upscale happy hour. All in all, it was a great experience and would definitely return. The hotel is situated about 10 minutes away from downtown La Jolla, which is great as you don't have to deal with the hustle and bustle of the city and is only a short ride for dinner or to the beach.

Wonderful place

by TripAdvisor Member clues

This place was great. Stayed last week for three nights on business, and discovered it from reviews here at tripadvisor. The hotel is brand new, and the facilities are beautiful. Nice room, nice grounds, great bed. Outdoor fire places at the bar and the pool.

I liked it better than the Four Seasons Aviara in Carlsbad, and it was a hundred dollars cheaper.

Someone in our group described it as a country and western Feng Shui ranch -- it is very hip.

The service was nice, but not as over the top as I was expecting from these reviews. My late check in seemed to surprise them; a late night request for a wine glass was never fulfilled; after asking and receiving a late checkout, received a call asking when I was checking out (two hours early) -- but these things were minor, this is a great place.

A Wonderful Getaway

My husband and I were ready for a long overdue weekend getaway. I booked this location based on tripadvisor, I'm pretty picky. We booked for a weekend in March 05. We booked the spring package that included a couples massage and breakfast. We called to let the front desk know we would be late due to traffic and rain. When we arrived they had rose petals through out our room and classical music playing. We never requested this and we were surprised. The grounds were wonderful and the massage was great. Would I go back? YOU BET!

Nice getaway option

We ended up at this hotel after checking out early due to a bad experience at another hotel. It ended up being our favorite hotel out of the four we stayed in during a recent week-long trip to Southern California. The grounds are beautiful as you drive in, then we were greeted with helpful service and a glass of champagne. We requested a crib for our baby and it arrived in the room before we did. The crib and crib linens were the nicest we've experienced (and this includes numerous five star hotels). The room was very small, but clean and comfortable. The bed was comfortable and the linens were nice.

The only problem we encountered at all was that the high-speed internet connection in our room did not work. The guest services people offered to open the business center for us anytime, which was nice (even if not as convenient as having it in the room).

Pretty but lacking

This hotel was okay but we were glad that we got a good deal on the price.

Things we liked:
* nice room and lobby decor
* close to la jolla but off the beaten path
* great room service (food)
* helpful front desk staff
* beautiful courtyard and outdoor fireplaces
* nice landscaping and tile work throughout

Things we didn't like:
* $15 parking fee per night for self parking (not disclosed before hand)
* noisy room - heard the neighbors in their rooms and hallways and kids were screaming at the pool around 10pm
* very limited menu choices at restaurants on property
* pool water was very cold (even my husband from boston thought so) and both pool and hot tub were full of children (some unattended)
* very small room - design was akward with doors opening into each other
* very limited free TV channels and you have to pay for additional basic programming
* hotel provided only one robe in a room with a king size bed

The biggest complaints were the noise from the pool, surrounding rooms, and people in the hallway and the fact that they "nickel and dime" you. For a self described high level hotel/spa, we didn't expect to have to pull out our wallets for basic things - like standard TV channels and parking in the regular lot. Also, bring your own snacks and beverages because we paid $4 for each soda served with our room service and each drink was served in a can. A high level hotel serving a soda in the can? $4 for a 50 cent soda? Absurd!

All in all, I probably wouldn't go back although the grounds are very nice and the location was convenient for us.

Nice, but beware of Internet booking!

by TripAdvisor Member TheTravelingGirl

Beware internet users!
Location is not great, a good 5 minute ride by car from the village, and set in a somewhat industrial park loooking area, across from UCSD.
Yes the hotel is nice, the rooms a bit small but the linens and bed are upscale and very comfortable. The pool area is "ok" and while i didn't take advantage of the gym or spa the facility seems nice enough. Not great but nice enough. BUT..... having booked the hotel on-line through expedia ( and recieving a good rate) we were assigned a room overlooking the main road and the university across the street. I inquired of some knowledgeable staff as to how full the hotel was at the time. They told me 65% full.
When we checked out I suggested that they might have given us a room overlooking the courtyard. The desk clerk was rude, and said that i had paid an "internet" rate and those were the rooms set aside. If i had wanted to pay for an "upgrade" they would have been happy to change the roo

Great! Great! Great!

The most peaceful stay ever. They should call La Estancia a retreat, not a hotel. My wife and I planned to stay at the hotel alone, but due to the illness of our son, we had to take him along. The manger kindly upgraded us to a wonderful suite.

The hotel is some distance from beach, but this is the reason the hotel is so quiet. The grounds are beautiful. If you want to rest, don't stay anywhere else.

Comments