1110 Prospect St, La Jolla, California, 92037, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

More about La Jolla Inn

Not Worth the Money

by TripAdvisor Member Jenny2001

I stayed at the La Jolla Inn in December 2006. While it is very close to the beautiful ocean and steps from great restaurants and shopping, I was disappointed by the quality of the room. The room was exceptionally small and old with only one window. Since our room was on the ground floor, we could hear everyone walking by and on Friday night I could hear the bass of the music from the club down the street until 1:30 am. The staff were friendly though and recommended some good restaurants, but overall it was not worth the money.

Las Vegas

by TripAdvisor Member crapsguy

Stayed at the La Jolla Inn for a few days in March. The hotel is located in the middle of town and a short walk from everything. We parked our car (free) and never moved in for our stay. There are many great restaurants and things to do in La Jolla all within a short stroll of the Inn. The Inn is small with only 23 rooms but is very nice. We received excellent service while there. They deliver a continental breakfast to your room in the morning and have fresh cookies in the library in the afternoon. The only problem with the hotel is it is an old hotel and the rooms are small which is typical of an old hotel. The rooms were very modern and well appointed but small. The bed was very comfortable.

What a Location!

by TripAdvisor Member K.Barry

This little hotel is definitely worth a visit. Superbly located by the water, it is a real value in every sense. I visited with my 73-year-old mother, so the stairs were a bit of a challenge (no elevator), and the parking is a few blocks away, so be prepared to offload your baggage (and passengers) before traveling on to the underground parking, which is in the Hard Rock Cafe center down the street. The rooms are small but clean, the little balconies are delightful with window boxes packed with red geraniums. The staff is smiling, prompt and professional, and breakfast on the sundeck is outstanding. We had excellent mai tais and watched a spectacular sunset at the Valencia Hotel next door, and lunched at Girard's Gourmet Bakery the next day. (Don't miss Girard's, it's on Girard Street and you can walk to it from the inn. The wonderful food and low prices are extraordinary.) All in all, La Jolla Inn is a pretty little inn from which you will experience the very best La Jolla has to offer.

Romantic get-away for a special occasion

by TripAdvisor Member drewhoff

I wanted to take my husband to LaJolla for his birthday and tried to book rooms at the Hotel Paradisi. They were full and wanted to put me in some overflow rooms somewhere "out back" for $375.00 per night. Instead I found the La Jolla Inn on-line and I am so glad!!!
The room was charming and romantic; even includes a little refrigerator to chill some wine or other beverages. We watched the sunrise in the morning out over the ocean from the bed.
The free breakfast was sensational -- the best croissant (warm) I have ever eaten. Great coffee, too!
We walked all over La Jolla. You can walk to any restaurant in the evening. The staff was oh, so nice! Even offered to let us check in early or to leave our bags behind the desk and come back later. They were ALWAYS smiling and helpful. If you MUST check emails (we didn't), they have computers set up in a quaint little "library" space that feels like something out of a novel.
Lemonade and cookies await in the afternoon.
We had a sensational time and are going back soon. I would never pay $375 for the Paradisi after our beautiful treatment at the LaJolla Inn.

A real jewel

by TripAdvisor Member dabbler45

Given the price of hotels near the beach, we were lucky to book a room for two nights at the last minute at a very good price. The stay exceeded my expectations in almost every way - almost too good to be true. A small, but very clean room, a true continental breakfast brought to the room, a small balcony with an ocean view, free parking, free computer use, free use of beach chairs and towels, and an incredibly friendly and helpful staff. The only glitch was that our room was not cleaned up on the second day. I was annoyed, but sincere apologies for their mistake and a reduction in the second day's charge calmed me down.

Very Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member irishsetter50+

Beware when booking at this location. I was deceived about their AAA rate and how it is applied. When I called to book the room I was told that the AAA rate would be discounted off the room rate. When I questioned this fact witht the front desk I was told that the rate was built into the room rates already. Translated, you are out of luck. Extremely disappointing. I was in California for two weeks and stayed in Hampton Inns, Fairfield Inns and received much better service at a lower cost. To top it off when I got home I noticed they charged me another 6 dollar charge for a lost key that I handed back in to the desk an hour after I arrived. Beware of these types of privately run hotels becase the experience can be very bad. Very incompetent front desk staff.

Good location

by TripAdvisor Member cdeast

The room was satisfactory, but the noise from the room above and the bar at the end of the street prevented us from getting a restful nights sleep. We liked the location - close to the shops and restaurants, as well as the park and ocean. The staff was friendly and helpful. Free parking , even though it was 3 blocks from the hotel,was an added plus.

Don't go here

by TripAdvisor Member WestonNewYork

Our stay here was terrible. The toilet kept overflowing and there was no maintenance on staff to fix it. The room was musty and had rusty bars on the windows. The air-conditioning/heater unit had the faced ripped off of it and there was left over food in our refrigerator. The breakfast was served with a lot of plastic and paper towels and our utensils were dirty. When we tried to check out, the staff told us we would be penalized. We stayed one more night to avoid the penalty and then had to listen to this horrific noise as the carpets were being cleaned. Do not be deceived by the rates. The "sundeck" was a rotting mess and filthy.

Quite awful

by TripAdvisor Member EdwardSanders

We planned to stay for 4 night based on TripAdvisor reviews but fled after one night.
Rooms are small and quite damp, the bathroom is small too, but both things we expected. We did not expect that you can see the ocean ONLY from the bacony. The balcony is ~3'x5' and two small chairs and a small table barely fit in. The balcony does not have any railing apart from the original cement box that is not very high. It was just dangerous for our 5 years old son to be on the balcony as he wanted to climb the chairs. Even without children, the suggestion to have the breakfast on the balcony was not very appealing as only one person can see the ocean if you both sit and do not stand together next to the balcony door. The balconies of your neighbors are right next to you w/out any dividers (they would abscure the view for the most of the balconies), so I suppose that when all the patrons of the hotel have their breakfast, the balconies do feel a bit too close and crowded.
We did not get up to the terrace as we left early morning and it was foggy.
The hotel itself is not very nice, but not bad either, one can tolerate it. Breakfast pastries were actually quite good. What I could not tolerate was the noise from a night club up the street that started around 11pm, intensified until 1:30 am and finally settled only around 3am. It was REALLY noisy, the closed balcony door helped a bit, but if you are a light sleeper there was no chance you can sleep. To make the matters worse, when I closed the balcony I wanted to turn on AC. AC unit is an old window box that produced a lot of noise. Well, I turned our AC off, but I could not do the same with the ACs of our neighbors, and the noise from their ACs was low frequency with no hope to shut it off, it came through the walls I suppose. All in all, I spent my night in the computer corner, observing a couple of young couples who apparently came exactly from the night club I hated so much. The couples retired to their rooms for a short inermission and then emerged in shorts and light robes for a smoke outside.
I've tried to find someone from the hotel management, but they were not there that late at night. To their credit when I complained the next morning about the noise, they waived the early departure penalty and seemed to be quite nice. The reception lady even mentioned that they are trying to fight the night club and sue it for making so much noise. Well, until they win, I would not recommed to stay in this hotel if you want to sleep.

Comments