La Jolla Shores Hotel

8110 Camino del Oro, (formerly Sea Lodge Hotel), La Jolla, California, 92037, United States
La Jolla Shores Hotel
Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

More about La Jolla Shores Hotel

Great Family Hotel

After reading all of the reviews on the Sea Lodge I was a little worried. The location is spectacular, (no weirdos like you get in some places) the hotel was not the greatest, our room was clean, and the pool was in good condition, at about a nice 82 degrees. The service was good we did not have any complaints. Parking was $7 a day (cheap compared to the $16 a day we paid at the Hyatt for parking). The Shores at the Sea Lodge has an excellent lobster buffet on sundays. Great family hotel we have 3 young children and they did not want to leave the beach. We also stayed at the Hyatt in La Jolla and enjoyed the Sea Lodge more. Next door is the Sea lodges sister hotel which is nicer but you also pay more. Great Location and Price, I will be returning next year.

Excellent beach location and very clean

My Family(Myself, Wife & 7 year old Daughter) spent 3 nights at Sea Lodge in April 2005 and wished it was longer. We found the Hotel to be in an excellent location with some rooms right on the beach, when checking in it was quick and although the room was not ready as we arrived earlier than we expected our cases were stored away so we could continue our day out at the Aquarium.

The room was a very good size family room with balcony overlooking courtyard, television, fridge, safe, hairdryer and all the usual amenities and very clean and cleaned to a high standard every day.

While staying in La Jolla we visited The Animal Park which is about 25 minute drive away and SeaWorld which is about 10 minute drive. The beach outside the hotel is a good long stretch of sand in one of the better areas of San Diego, also in the area are a number of nice shops and good restaurants.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay at The Sea Lodge and La Jolla, we had a couple of great days out and an excellent Hotel to come back to at the end of the day, we would highly recommend a stay at The Sea Lodge.

loved location,the beach and the cozy italian rest osteria romantica

by TripAdvisor Member gibson_micho

After a week of vacation at the sea lodge is very difficult to go back to work.
everythig was so wonderfull, the hotel is right on the beach, the service was very good . La Jolla Shores is very pleasant we didn't use the car for a week, there're so many things to do walking distance.
The first night the front desk suggested to try this new italian restaurant osteria romantica very close to the hotel, was a wonderfull experience, very cozy and (for us very important) family friedly, was like
being in italy, the food was great.

overall the best vacation ever
Gibson

A lovely stay!

My husband and I needed to escape the LA area heat wave and called the Sea Lodge hoping for a last minute room for an overnight escape. Nornally this hotel requires a multi-night stay in high season, but they were happy to give us a room the week of the stay. We had two choices - partial ocean view or garden view. Since we have spent many summer days on La Jolla Shores Beach and know that we can walk on the beach early am, busy daytime, and romantic evenings, we decided to save a bit on the summer rates and chose the garden view.

Our room was not dark and dingy as some other reviews report - furniture was light and "beachy" in style. The bathroom was immaculate and attractive and the room was spacious. Our only room complaint was that we actually had a "partial" garden view (it faced a stucco wall in the courtyard), but we didn't spend much time in the room and this was a small issue considering our day before reservations.

The staff was polite and prompt. We arrived well before check in time and they set us up on the beach with chairs, towels and umbrellas - they even offered to call on our cell when the room was ready. It was ready an hour before the estimated time. When we asked the clerk for walking directions to the Marine Room for dinner, he promptly called an escort to lead us there. We had a delicious lunch the next day on the patio facing the ocean and were even allowed a slight check out time extension to help lenghthen our quick get-away.

This was one of our best experiences at La Jolla Shores and our best visit to the Sea Lodge. Don't believe the naysayers!

We had a great time!

We stayed at the Sea Lodge in July, 2005, for the 10th year in a row. We really enjoy the Sea Lodge - it's friendly and fun. The staff is always wonderful and helpful.

The beach is great fun and was in great condition this year, which is probably why it was so crowded. Also, the weather was great so I can understand why everyone was on the beach! There is no comparison of this beach to the others in San Diego - it is a safe, friendly, beach with mild waves absolutely perfect for families with children. My teenager also had a great time because we felt the beach was safe enough that he could wander with his friends without us feeling we needed to check up on him (absolutely not possible on Mission, Pacific or Imperial beaches due to the kind of crowd those beaches attract day and night).

We loved ordering lunch from the Shores restaurant while we were on the beach and the kids were thrilled when they delivered their lunch right to them on the beach! No need to get cleaned up or leave the beach for lunch!

We also love being able to walk to all the great little restaurants just down the street for dinner. Piatti's is our favorite.

I agree that the inconsistency of the housekeeping is a problem. We never knew when they would show up (but they always did before 4:00 pm). I personally feel that if everyone tipped the housekeeping staff daily, as they should and as we do, the quality of service in general would rise.

Some ugrades to the property and updating of the rooms would add more support to the high prices charged. Granted, the high prices are only in the peak season and you ARE paying for the location; however, if the rooms were nicer (furniture, paint, taking off the popcorn ceiling) more people (myself included) would come during the winter.

C+ Hotel charging A-list prices

I hope I can provide some facts, rather than just my opinion about the Sea Lodge. The context here is my family (me, my wife, & 2 small kids) came down from Seattle for a 6 night stay.

The Sea Lodge sits right on the La Jolla Shores beach, and if that's why you're there, it's clearly the hotel's strongest point. The reviewer who wrote that you're on the beach in 90 seconds is absolutely correct.

But in case you're not aware -- the La Jolla shores beach is a heavily used, always active -- aka: crowded -- beach, teeming with surfers, divers, boogie boarders, kayaks, etc. and tons of teens, families, and folks from the city there for the day. Not saying this is bad ... just saying that if you have an image of a gorgeous, relaxing beach where you and yours will sit quietly by the ocean reading a book, that's just not what it's like. Ask yourself if being 90 seconds from *this* beach is what you imagine. If you like action and crowds, you'll love this beach. If you like peace and quiet, you'll hate this beach.

Within walking distance is a street that leads up to the beach with a half-dozen really good places to eat, including a good sushi spot. There are another half dozen surf shops, places you can rent kayaks, and boogie boards. A quickie burger and ice cream joint. A pizza place. A grocery store (where you can buy some beach toys), and so on. It's pretty charming, but beyond it, everything is a drive including central La Jolla -- which is a short drive up the hill, but you wouldn't want to walk it. The point is, there is some, but not a ton to do within walking distance of the hotel.

The hotel itself did not impress. I take issue with the reviewers who mentioned that one shouldn't expect a 4-star place but otherwise this place is great.

Customer service and room quality were average at best, but often quite bad. There were no bell services when we arrived (which I'm sorry, is something that even cheap hotels offer). We had a courtyard facing room that was poorly lit. The Internet services didn't work. The pillows were flat and hard.

The walls were indeed thin -- this was something I was skeptical about upon reading reviews on this site that mentioned it, but it's totally true. I could, in fact, make out conversations going on in the next room. But the worst of it, for me, was that the courtyard rooms endure noise from the courtyard day and night. The courtyard is a perpetual noise machine, including carts wheeling across ceramic tiles, kids of all ages having a wonderful but noisy time, and -- believe it or not -- ping pong tables. (What guest wants to hear the kanip-kanop of ping pong balls all day and night?)

Also, there were few of the usual hotel ammenities there. No small shop offering basic sundries. No vending machines except for in the basement garage. No magazines or sunscreen. If you forgot your toothbrush, forget about it. Again, I'm not comparing to a luxury hotel...I'm just talking about some basics that I was thinking, gee, at this price, I really should have these services.

I only ate one meal there, so I can't really comment broadly. The one meal we had -- a breakfast -- was just plain terrible, by any standard. Watery oatmeal for my 5 yo, for example.

The pool was nice and well heated, and lit at night. Parents should be aware: This is not a little kids' pool -- the shallow end of the pool was 3 1/2 feet deep, and neither of my girls can swim. This meant either me or my wife had to be in the pool, all the time, with our kids while they were swimming. Teens on the other hand loved it, and in fact, there were teenagers in the pool morning, noon and night, and seemed to really enjoy it. Including the hot tub.

Housekeeping was another issue for us. Housekeeping arrived at inconsistent times, which was a bit of problem for us having small kids, in need of naps. One day, we asked housekeeping to come back later because of nap time, but instead, they simply skipped us. We're 90% sure that some of our loose change disappeared. And little things were overlooked -- like the little packets of coffee stuff were forgotten, but we we had about 5 bottles of bath gel. Once again -- even the most everyday of hotels usually gets this kind of stuff right. So, it was really disappointing that Sea Lodge couldn't get this down.

At the end of the trip, we decided the location of the Sea Lodge just wasn't enough to justify the high prices and the average-at-best hospitality services.

It gets two stars from us, because of course, there are worse places. This isn't an awful hotel, just not a good one.

Great location !

by TripAdvisor Member CheddarHouseAU

The Sea Lodge is in a fantastic location - right on the beach. We were thrilled to wake each morning to the sound of the waves and to look out to the sea.

You really are paying for the location. The room we had was nice and it was clean and well maintained. The hotel is an older one and perhaps an update would be good, but then of course the price would go up. We were happy enough with what we got. The room had a kitchenette which was great.

The hotel is spread around a central courtyard area so some of the rooms are a bit of a walk from reception. That didn't bother us at all. There's free internet access in the lobby, a swimming pool, beach umbrellas and chairs for the beach.

The only real issue we had was when checking in. We'd booked on the internet and I'd chosen the most expensive of the rooms so expected we'd have a room similar to the photo shown on the website I booked with. But, it seems that the rooms on the website are just the basic rooms and the better ones are even more expensive. They really should make sure that the photos represent what you're going to get.

We arrived earlier than the check in time and they said they'd have our room ready in an hour. We went for a drive and came back 2 hours later to find they still didn't have a room for us - I think they'd given the room they cleaned early for us to someone else when we didn't return in exactly an hour. We waited another hour and at first they gave us a room on the ground floor which I definitely didn't want. We wanted to be able to leave our door open for fresh air and the sounds of the waves at night. We were then offered a room on the next floor up which was fine with us. The room was smaller than the photo we'd seen so at first we were a little disappointed. But that view couldn't be beaten and we soon forgot about it.

We enjoyed eating at the the hotels seafood buffet for a treat, and the bar had a great view too. There's plenty of eating places walking distance away.

We enjoyed our 3 day stay. I'd return if I could get a good price and my expectations would be more realistic next time.

Terrible, not worth the price

We stayed in coastal view room for 3 nights. We were awakened at 5AM each morning with sound of next door people talking. We could make out every conversation through the walls and balcony. People by the pool were so loud, we could barely hear the ocean waves. Extra charge for the ocean view room was not worth the money. Furnitures and decor in the room are old, dark and dingy. Wall attached hairdryer should be classified as 60s antique model.
Only positive aspect of this hotel is the room service. Dishes from Shores Restaurant was surprisingly delicious.

Just okay...depends on what you are looking for

by TripAdvisor Member tracyrene

On the plus side: Great ocean view rooms, right on a nice beach, nice pool area for adults, next to a nice little beach park with a playground.

On the minus side: Rooms were dark, skanky and outdated for the price (yikes, this was NOT a 369 dollar a night room), no kids wading pool, not much of anyplace to eat/anything to do within walking distance other than the beach, housekeeping was spacy (forgot to give us glasses one day, forgot the rug in the bathroom another day).

Other comments: This beach is about as nice as southern CA beaches get. The hotel was probably something back in 1972. It's in serious need of a comprehensive thematic update at this point. It's pretty big, and the rooms all have California style external entrances. We ate at the restaurant downstairs called the Shores which was fairly nice if overpriced. Everyone says it's kid friendly but I didn't think it was any more kid friendly than anywhere else; it happens to have a playground next door which was convenient.

o.k. but not worth the $$$$$

Great location but a little rund down. Rooms and grounds should be cleaner and in better condition. I understand this is difficult at a beachfront location, but is absolutely necessary for any hotel in this price range.

Comments