The Grande Colonial

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about The Grande Colonial

La Jolla Hotel

by JimGunther about Grande Colonial Hotel

We were upgraded to a charming cottage room.
Nice size - amenities - bedding - decor. Semi-obstructed water view. Walk to everything in town.
Pretty much met (though did not EXCEED) expectations.
Fair value for where we were. A safe choice - nothing quirky.

Perfect Location

by TripAdvisor Member yadkin

We were at the Grande Colonial in December 2004 and had a terrific stay.
We had a room with a view of the ocean on one of the upper floors. The rooms are roomy with comfortable beds. The bathroom is spacious, and the entire hotel was very clean. The restaurant within the hotel is one of the best we tried in La Jolla, or anywhere else for that matter, and definitely worth a visit. We were on the B and B package, so breakfast was included and definitely worth it. We also ate dinner there one night. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, providing driving directions and suggestions for things to do. Shopping is just out the front door, and the ocean is only a block away. We will definitely return to La Jolla and the Grande Colonial.

Wonderful La Jolla

by TripAdvisor Member VanNesBlvd

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Grande Colonial in LaJolla and loved it! It's a perfect location . . . close to the shops and to the ocean. We had a regular room but had a partial ocean / partial street view. The room is nicely appointed and has a great feel to it. The staff was very friendly. We ate at the Nine Ten one night. You must try the hot chocolate for dessert! We also spent 2 nights in San Diego and I wish we had spent all nights in LaJolla. The only compliant is the parking. There is hardly any street parking so you must do valet. There is a great coffee shop with ocean views just down the street from the hotel. Though the weather wasn't the greatest we still had a wonderful time driving up the CA coast. I highly recommend the Grande Colonial.

Wonderful Hotel

After reading about various hotels in La Jolla, I decided on the Grande Colonial and loved my two-night stay there. The room was lovely, all the staff were very friendly, and the location was excellent. The beautiful walking path along the shore is only a block away, and the great shopping district is just across the street. Breakfast in the nine-ten restaurant was excellent (included in the bed and breakfast plan). It was a comfortable and relaxing stay, and I would definately return to this hotel again!

Perfection!

by TripAdvisor Member sandywoman

We stayed at the Grande Colonial in June of 02. It was a bit chilly but the hotel made up for it. Quaint and beautiful. Huge, comfortable robes in every room and excellent room service. Our room faced the ocean with billowy sheer white curtains and the peaceful sound of waves hitting the rocks. It was like a dream. We easily drove to all the nice restaurants (including the 9 and 10) and it was such a quick drive to downtown San Diego. Just a short walk to seal beach and fantastic sunsets! A historic, beautiful hotel. I would love to go back. Unlike the big hotel across the bridge - every staff member actually remembered your name.

Beautiful Hotel, Great location

by TripAdvisor Member HawkeyeIn

My sister-in-law and I stayed one night at the Grande Colonial 3-21-05. When I made our reservations, I was told the room would have a partial ocean view. When we walked in, we had a large corner room with two double beds, lots of windows and beautiful views of the ocean. There were some buildings blocking a full view but we saw more of the ocean then I was expecting. Easy walk to the ocean and the staff was very friendly, even printing off our airline boarding passes the next morning. The fun part of the trip was watching the sea lions and their babies. There were other beaches nearby to play in the water. I would stay here again.

Great location, Staff can be friendlier

by TripAdvisor Member busyasabee

The hotel and room was beautiful! I found the valet to be very friendly and helpful. Also, the housekeeping was very accomodating and friendly! Unfortunately, I found the staff at the front desk to be unfriendly and not very accomodating.

Upon check-in, the gentleman at the desk did not offer a "hello" or look up from his computer. The day of check-out, I had a meeting and was hoping to have an extra hour in my room. The lady at the desk said that, "The best I can do is half hour." That was a bit disappointing, whereas most hotels ask when a good time for you is, or offer at least an hour.

A beautiful hotel, but the staff morale and attitude could use a face-lift. For future reference, there are other hotels located across the street from The Grande Colonial (such as Hotel Paris). Another important note, parking is offered, but is valet only and costs $16 per day! We did not notice until afterward, but there is street parking all around the hotel that is free-- park there and save some money!

dreamy

My bf and I stayed here New Year's Weekend, 2005. We got one of the full ocean view rooms (room 506). It was perfect!! Lovely view, clean place, comfortable and friendly staff. Would love to do it again!! Thank you!!

Lovely hotel, but could have been better!

by TripAdvisor Member jonas1978

We stayed one night in room 424, the nothwestern corner oceanview room. Upon arrival, we were breathless after seeing the 180 degree oceanview and the quaint comfy room. The pool area was nice and the hotel's restuarant, 9-10, was wonderful as usual. The front desk and other workers were very polite and nice.

Other reveiwers commented that the bathrooms were small, which is true, but it was not too bad. What was bad was all the noise we endured. Directly downstairs (4 stories) from our northern window, was the trash bin/compactor in a parking lot/alley section. Clanging of trash, trash cans, and other related noises kept me up until midnight. And, the same noises, plus the operation of the compactor, awoke me at 6:30am!!! The morning disposal continued from 6:30am to 8am. And all this time the windows were shut.

I understand that a hotel/resturant must dispose of its trash, but perhaps scheduling this in the midday may be advisable. At least of the sake of the patrons staying in rooms adjacent to this location.

So beware, and stay away from the northwest corner rooms unless you want little sleep and an unpleasant morning. Had our room been in a different location, I would probably have ended this review a the "staff were nice" line.

Fantastic Stay

We found this hotel on the last leg of our coastal holiday in California and what a gem it was.
Lovely hotel where you can walk everywhere, to the shops, restaurants and to the beach where the seals are. It was truely beautiful, and everyone was so nice.
We had a junior suite in the hotel, which was lovely and worth every penny for the 3 nights we stayed there. Couldn't have asked for a nicer town to stay in or hotel.

The view from the terraceThe view from the terrace

rosaritorosarito