La Quinta Resort & Club

SedonaDee's Profile Photo

Beautiful Grounds But Slow on Service

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 7, 2009

We visited La Quinta Resort & Spa in early April 2009 on a Business Conference. The grounds are exquisit and laden with flowers. The rooms really look like little white & blue shuttered casitas. They claims to have 41 pools & spas. Most are either lap pools or little dipping pools, but there are two big ones. One of those is by the tennis courts and the other is a pool called Fred Renker. I've never heard of a pool called "Fred", so that was cute. Only the big pool by the tennis court serves food & drinks.

Kids were plentiful at this resort and there were planned activities for them. Skateboards, Razers, & bikes are allowed on the many sidewalks around the resort. I did not use the spa, but it is supposed to be very nice.

There are a few restaurants on the grounds. One is a coffee/pastry shop. I did eat at the Adobe Grill and had a great meal with very good service, but it was pricey. The taco salad I had was $17, which is a big exorbitant, but it was good. The other restaurant, Twenty 6, I had breakfast and lunch. It was also overpriced, and the service was exceedingly slow for both of my meals, but the food was excellent once you get it.

Check-in was painful and much too slow. We showed up about 3:00 p.m. and did not get our room until 5:45 p.m. I told them that if we could not get a room immediately at that time, I needed an ironing board and iron delivered to the lobby because I had to iron a shirt for my husband, who needed to be at a business event in 15 minutes. A room showed up right away. They must not have enough cleaning staff! I have never waited so late to get a room in all my life and there were many others waiting as well.

Unique Quality: La Quinta Resort & Spa on 45-acres opened in 1926 and was a favorite of Hollywood legends like Capra, Garbo, and Gable. The main building and 29 of the casitas were made from adobe bricks and it has a lovely feeling of the old southwest.

Rooms were very clean and nicely decorated. Our room did NOT have a hair dryer, which was surprising, as I don't usually pack one when traveling anymore since most hotels have them. Many of the guest rooms & suites feature fireplaces, kitchens, & private patios.

This resort is lovely and weather was perfect. It is in a nice setting with views of the rugged, brown Santa Rosa Mountains surrounding the area. It is a great resort for tennis players and golfers. Visit their website below to see the details on those activities.

In spite of my complaints on slow service, I really did enjoy my stay here and hope that was not the norm, though it would have been nice if a staff member had just apologized for the late check-in.

Directions: La Quinta Resort & Spa is located in the town of La Quinta, CA, just a bit southeast of Palm Springs proper. It is considered part of the Greater Palm Springs area. It is between Indian Wells & Indio, CA & is located on Eisenhower Drive

RheaM's Profile Photo

A Desert Oasis!

by written on October 15, 2008

This is place is amazing, it is truly a desert Oasis! Located right next to Indian Wells Tennis Courts- it is in the heart of the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area.

We were lucky enough to go here on a company retreat and the rooms, service and spa were all so nice. The spa offers a multitude of spa services at industry standard prices- I was expecting really high prices because of the location and reputation. The services I received were great- but expected, what set this spa apart from others was the facility and service. The facility has the standard waiting area and locker room but a great outdoor, coed lounge area and amazing outdoor baths/showers (private). The spa technicians were all so friendly and accommodating- it was such a pleasure talking to them!

The grounds are perfectly manicured and the service is really second to none. We felt that everyone was so friendly and helpful.

Unique Quality: I was surprised by the size of the resort, it was so much bigger than I expected, they claim to have over 40 pools- which just seems crazy but quite possibly true.

Also the rooms felt like tiny houses (I guess the name Casita fits!)

thyrkas's Profile Photo

Great Spa, Plenty to do and all around great spot!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 23, 2008

La Quinta Resort and Spa is where a group of us took a company retreat the past year. Not only were the rooms comfy, the pools were abundant across the resort (and much needed in the hot weather) and the spa was wonderful. We had a central suite where everyone could mingle and, even, sing a little karaoke!

Unique Quality: You must visit the spa when you are there. I had a facial, massage and a hot oil scalp treatment. ahhh... :)

kailam's Profile Photo

Oasis in the Desert

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 27, 2006

Big rooms, lots of pools, a 'communal' feel as the previous tip mentions. The best part about our room was the large patio, and the tangerine trees within arm's reach. Quite a feeling to wake up in the morning, walk outside into the open desert air and pluck your breakfast from a tree. Of course they have on-site restaurants too if you're into cooked food :)

Twenty6 has great breakfast food. Azur is the high-end high-priced offering, but it is a good experience for those who like blowing money on really really good food.

My wife and I used the Spa and loved it. Staff overall was friendly and very helpful.

One gripe - apparently a lack of tips has compelled the resort to start charging 'maid service' fees of $3.00/night on your bill. I was especially irked by this because we did not have any maid service during our stay, so we paid for nothing. It would have been less of an issue if they'd have just raised the room rates 3 bucks instead.

Unique Quality: Lots of pools
Large, open patios

anacapa's Profile Photo

old hollywood luxury

by written on December 18, 2006

Lovely stay. The resort is picturesque with lots of attention paid to detail. The hotel rooms are very comfortable with huge baths and bathrooms. The beds are super comfortable and you have a choice of 4-6 pillows to sleep with, some feather. The TVs were a bit outdated, but were fine. Internet access in each room, lots of hotspots around the facilities. Great service, friendly staff.

Get a casita or a room with a fireplace in the 200 number range. These are older, the casitas being oldest and most swank. We stayed in the 200 range of rooms, steps from a pool and a jacuzzi which we used daily. It was a great experience. These rooms were not as close together as other higher numbered rooms.

Unique Quality: Great in the winter time. Nothing like the desert air in winter.

Make sure you splurge on the spa. Play a round of golf. Drink bubbly in the jacuzzi.

Directions: 49-499 Eisenhower Drive
Take the 111 to Washington, turn south towards La Quinta, right on Eisenhower and it will be on your right after Camino Fernando.

Flyboy9MR's Profile Photo

Self-contained little village.

by written on May 29, 2004

This feels more like a community than a hotel. I stayed at the standard units. The rooms are in clusters, and each cluster is oriented usually around a pool. So, socially very good. The rooms are decorated like homes more than hotels. Fireplace in each, wooden blinds, actual curtains, wood furniture, mini-bar, separate shower/euro size tub, etc. Good "home away from home" feel. A bit "feminine" in decor, but it's better then the drab hotels you usually get. Busy during day with maids, maintenance, etc... driving around on golf carts. Lots of people just tanning at pool and mingling.

Unique Quality: Full service Spa. Full service Tennis facility with hard, clay and grass courts! Two resort/championship golf courses - but have to drive through private neighborhoods to get there - or you can walk. And you get tee times at PGA West a few minutes away by car also! Built right under the Santa Rosa mountains! Shops in resort - just outside, there is a full mini-mall with grocery store within easy reach of resort. Parking is a bit tough to find. People in the resort are a mix of all types of people - families - but not too many kids, singles, couples, from all walks of life... the neighborhoods around the resort are a bit "snooty" - people with money - some look down their nose at the tourists visiting.

Directions: La Quinta private neighborhood just south of 111.

Nearby La Quinta Resort & Club

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

La Quinta Travel Forum

Need advice about La Quinta, California? Visit the Travel Forum for La Quinta and ask our Answer Gurus.

La Quinta Travel Guide