30801 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, California, 92651, United States

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Costs 54% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• orcoastgirl's Profile Photo

Loved the Montage!

I would highly recommend the Montage for a special occasion celebration. The property is amazing and we had a great time here, even for one night. The staff is fully accomodating, the pool area is gorgeous with towel service, water, comfy chairs and a nice jacuzzi. There is a small beach area in the back of the hotel where we enjoyed sunning and relaxing mid-morning in December. We also dined at both of the restaurants here which were excellent. The Studio was very nice for our 25th Anniversary dinner. I can't recommend enough how much we enjoyed this property. I received a good rate of $425/night on the Laguna Beach dot Com website.

Our room was nicely appointed with many amenities in the bathrooms including candles, bath salts, piped in music to the room and very nice lotions and gels. Loved it here!

Unique Quality: Amazing pool area, nicely heated pool with jacuzzi, beach access, 2 great restaurants, first-class service, immaculate, high standards are the order of the day.

• rjweber21's Profile Photo

Really nice...and reaaaallly expensive

OK, this place is ridiculous. I don’t really think I’ve ever stayed at a nicer hotel…or a more expensive one. I was here a couple months ago for my cousin’s wedding. From the minute I pulled my car into the valet, the hotel impressed me. They had at least 3 people waiting on us, are room was ready, and we were guided to the room by a lady wearing here secret service type ear piece, who was obviously notified by the valet that we were there – I love efficiency.

I’ve never felt better about blowing $100 on a bottle of wine at the end of a night. The $100 bottle was pretty much the cheapest on the list, but at least it was a really nice Oregon Pinot. To give you an idea of how expensive this place is, a shot of Patron Silver at the Pool Side Bar was $42.00…I didn’t get one.

This place has two restaurants. I ate at “The Loft” which is located in the hotel. The nicer, even pricier restaurant, “The Studio” is located closer to the water. I didn’t get a chance to eat at The Studio, but I can honestly say the Gnocchi I had at The Loft was the best I’ve ever had. The flat bread pizza appetizer is also really good.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel for any couple that is looking to spend 3k on a weekend trip. My ONLY complaint is that the walls are a little thin, and unless you spring for the suite, the $750 price tag on a regular room might *** you off – if you get pissed off about that sort of thing.

Unique Quality: Great pool, view, food, spa, golf near by - you can also stay across the street at the Best Western for $200 and enjoy most of what the Montage has to offer.

Directions: PCH, west side, across the street from the Best Western.

• Rachel's Profile Photo

Unbelievable Grounds

I have never stayed there, but I go for walks around the grounds and have eaten at the Restaurant. It is in south laguna on the cliffs and the views are spectacular. It is very quiet and not too big. You have to have $$$, because it is not cheap.

• michelle_NB's Profile Photo

pamper yourself

Ive stayed here a few times, they have never disappointed me. service is the key to pick hotels and i have stayed so many 5 stars. believe me, i know. they are very friendly with good manners. they treat you like VIP from the day you check in til you leave. most important thing for me is dinning at hotel restaurants, I ask so much so they have to put up with my selfishness and they never failed. i like their authentic french to californian style. the table at "Loft" (this is the most casual dinning in the hotel" is so nice and cozy, they have Booth with drapes hanging from ceiling. so it is Very private and ofcourse "Intimate" if you know what i mean.

More about Montage Resort And Spa

What To Really Expect

What to really expect:

The hotel is very beautiful, the views are stunning, the service and staff are great and the rooms were very comfortable and our bungalow was very quite. You expect to pay for a hotel that has gone to such great lengths to preserve the view and provide such luxury. This hotel has certainly made sure of that. It’s very expensive, more so than other resorts of the same caliber. All of this is fine if you know what to really expect. If you’re getting away for a quite romantic weekend, be prepared. Everything about the resort is geared toward being outside which means it is a popular destination for meetings, outdoor banquets, tours, weddings, children and generally lots of people sharing the same space. We were there two nights and there was one wedding, a luncheon, and an evening banquet all set up on the main grounds, overlooking the ocean. The hotel provides day care for worn out parents ($75 a day) and also uses the grounds and pool area to entertain lots of children. And this was OFF season. There is a lap pool and a beautiful spa, BUT, again, be prepared. The spa has the gall to charge guests $20 for using the lap pool as well as the spa facilities. I found this outrageous considering the hotel is billed as a resort and everything is already very expensive. If you’re getting a spa treatment, the spa automatically charges a 20 % tip to your bill. Don’t be bullied by them. Despite what you think, you do have an option to pay what you want. While the service poolside is very good, I found the food was average. A tuna salad that costs nearly $25 should be stellar. Not average. Order that same meal at dinner and the price jumps $17. All of this for a great view? You could always pack a picnic and go to the beach for free or just know what to really expect when staying at the Montage Resort.

A beautiful property with a luxury spa and lots of service!

by TripAdvisor Member traveljunkie-LA

My spouse and I just returned from a brief stay at the Montage Resort. We were impressed! We went in low season, but the resort was fully staffed - so many staff member in fact, it felt like they vastly outnumbered us guests. When booking, call the resort for special deals and offers, especially if you're going in low season.

The resort overlooks a spectacular ocean bluff, with access to a clean, quiet beach (with tide pools) in artsy Laguna Beach. Service was excellent all-around. Before our nightly turndown service, we tipped the housekeeper a bit more than usual, and in turn we received many extra bath supplies and towels! No "attitude" at all from the staff and management of Montage during our entire stay.

Our room was of the least expensive option (Ocean Horizon), but it was well-apportioned and clean. The bathroom had a relatively big bathtub and separate marble shower. A big corner sofa made it feels more cozy. The headboard of the bed was a bit creaky and noisy, though.....

The grounds are well-manicured, with swimming pools both for adults and children, and an outdoor jacuzzi. There are also various firepits on the property for nighttime gatherings and stargazing. The Lobby Bar features an entertainer at night, who is quite talented.

The headline restaurant at Montage, named Studio, was comparable to some of the better restaurants we have in L.A. The tasting menu was well-balanced and reasonably priced. The chef seems quite adept at working with seasonal delicacies (such as white truffles). To their credit, the restaurant staff STRICTLY enforce the dinner dress code - a refreshing departure from the usual O.C. laissez-faire. The Loft, Montage's more casual dining venue, was also good. Service there was professional and cordial. The Loft is a great place for breakfast, overlooking the Pacific and the coastline.

Montage boasts a very plush spa. However, the spa services (massages, wraps, etc.) are very expensive. For $20 daily, resort guests may obtain a spa pass to use the spa facilities. There is an open-air jacuzzi, with a warm waterfall. There are the usual dry and wet saunas, as well as an ice-cold dipping pool. The exercise facilities are well-equipped. The spa shop is quite extensive.

Overall, a nice (but expensive) spa and beach getaway destination. It is comparable to Bacara (a similar resort in Santa Barbara). Laguna Beach is a bit sleepy at night, but hey, that's part of the local charm!

We love it!

We stay often with my husband's firm and it is lovely. The beach is beautiful. The rooms are gorgeous - each w/ an ocean view. The spa is out of this world. Pool is fun and food is good. Overall, we've had wonderful service. Spa desk staff can be a little snobby, but therapists are excellent.

Oasis at the Montage

VERY pleasantly surprised. Having traveled extensively, I'm a bit of a cyncic when it comes to expectations. I've been disappointed more than a few times by what I've seen on the Internet and the reality. The Montage does have a beautiful website, so I was very surprised to discover that the place is even better in person. Yes, it is EXPENSIVE. We stayed in a 2-bedroom bungalow suite and it was one of the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in on 4 continents! Great views. Beautiful grounds. Deluxe spa. Service was impeccable (so I don't understand the negative reviews about such). Restaurants were excellent. Even room service food (usually a big source of disappointment) was delicious. I was quite skeptical when, upon arriving, I saw that the average age of the staff there seemed to hover around 17 but I was proven wrong again. Exceptional attention to detail. My family was always greeted by name. Little complimentary amenities poolside, such as passionfruit smoothies and sunglass cleaning to get those pesky sunscreen smears off the shades, do make a difference. It seems like the only thing the staff didn't do was feed me peeled grapes. To be sure, you do pay for it in the high price of the room, but the old adage is true: you get what you pay for. I've stayed at the nearby Ritz, which is very nice as well. However, if you prefer a smaller, low-key, yet equally luxurious hotel, the Montage is the best choice for that area.

stunning...but expensive

by TripAdvisor Member lstein

Stayed at the montage recently with my wife. The resort is really spectaular. The views up and down the Coast are beautiful. The rooms are quite luxurious and the service at the hotel is incredible. If you want a 5 star california retreat this is it. However, be warned, this resort is very, very expensive.

Pool at the Montage ResortPool at the Montage Resort

Laguna Beach in Back of the Montage ResortLaguna Beach in Back of the Montage Resort

Mosaics Cafe at the Montage Resort in Laguna BeachMosaics Cafe at the Montage Resort in Laguna Beach

TIDES INN

Hi everyone

Has anybody staye at the Tides Inn or have any opinions about it please

by yvr

Gets good reviews from TripAdvisor which posts reviews of hotels etc. from past guests. I think I may have stayed there many many years ago.

Thanks for your reply
we're coming from England next April for my 60th bday
our first trip to California
& looking at various options for accommodation
Sue

by orcoastgirl

Hi there, we love Laguna Beach and have enjoyed stays at The Montage, Laguna Reef, Casa Laguna Inn and the Hotel Laguna. Let me know if you have any specific questons about any of these hotels. www.lagunabeach.com is a nice website for this area. Have fun! :)

by susieQ50

thanks very much for your reply. i'm pretty sure the montage is out of my
budget. will def check out that website !!
x