Named after Peter Lebec a French fur trapper/mountain man. The story goes: Peter Lebeck was killed on October 17, 1837 by a Grizzly Bear he had shot and wounded. Obviously, he didn't quite kill the bear, so the bear did him in. Lebec's postoffice was established in 1895.
What is amazing about Mr. Lebec's grave marker. As the oak tree grew, the engraving disappeared within the tree bark. Then a ranger happen to notice an imprint of wording from the fallen bark from the tree so she pulled the rest off, thus uncovering some information about his death. The actual bark is in the display case at the Tejon visitor center.