7901 North Highway 1, Little River, California, 95456, United States

Travelocity Expedia.com Hotels.com

• Favorite Mendocino area Lodging for 20 years

We had 3 very nicely updated rooms in the main (original) building for a family get together. Generally, we were quite pleased as always. I've stayed several times over the years & so have other family members. One room was changed due to smokey smell. Staff was very accommodating. Played golf, ate in restaurant, enjoyed lounging on the patios in the great rockers, enjoying one of the finest views in the area. We had room 139 with a clear unobstructed view of the cove below. The hotel tells me that some people request the treed area on the North end of the building, but I remain skeptical about that.
    Our rooms had refrigerators, coffee, and generally, the amenities expected. You would think for $200 plus a nite they'd have updated the bathtub plumbing fixtures too, (they are simple '80's fixtures) kind of basic, but clean, not in disrepair. I'd stay here anytime.

Unique Quality: View, view, view. You can't get this at home. Pack some wine (they furnish the glasses) and enjoy!

• CelticSu's Profile Photo

I'm in Bed in the A.M. - I See a Whale Spout!

I read about the Little River Inn in Sunset Magazine many years ago - how it was on a hill looking out over the ocean, how it was possible to see the migrating gray whales as they traveled south to Mexico or back again to Alaska, how it was top-notch, locally owned by an historic family, etc.

So Little River Inn was the one place I wanted to be sure to stay when we took a road trip along Highway 1 from Crescent City to San Diego way back then. We spent one night at the Inn, and when I woke up in the morning and looked out to sea, I saw a pod of whales spouting - unbelievable! I hadn't left my bed, and there they were! As a friend of ours used to say, "Life doesn't get any better than that!"

Unique Quality: Family owned & run; friendly staff; fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs in some rooms; private cottages as well; Cape Cod styling; serenity; extraordinary views - I can't say enough about it! In addition, there's Ollie's Bar where you can meet the locals as well as visitors, an excellent garden-view dining room, a spa, and a golf course on site!

Directions: About 3 1/2 hours north of the Golden Gate Bridge & 3 1/2 hours south of Eureka; between Albion & Mendocino

More about Little River Inn

We are frequent guests at Little River Inn

by TripAdvisor Member maygoddess

My husband and I have been staying here since 2000 when my father-in law gave us a gift certificate for Christmas for this place. We visit at least once per year for valentine's day or our birthdays, anniversary, Wine and Mushroom Festival, etc.

We only stay here now! The staff is excellent. The breakfasts are our favorites in the restaurant. The Ollaliberry pancakes are great and I love my herbed cream cheese omelet. They have a day spa on premises and the massages, manis, pedis and facials have always been fabulous. They also do hair as well.

Ole's Whale Watch Bar is a great place to sit at sunset and stare out their big window behind the bar and enjoy a drink.

If you are into nature, literally steps away is Van Damme State Park where can walk or hike the easy trails or walk across to Van Damme Beach. Within short driving distance are other state parks like Russian Gulch where you can hike to an amazing waterfall. The Botanical Gardens in Fort Bragg are fabulous..lots to do!

Across Hwy 1, there is a small gas station/store where you can load up on snacks and deli items and the Inn is only a few miles from Mendocino Village where you can shop and find more restaurants.

As for the reviewer who complained about the smoking..it is too bad they would not consider this place again based on one experience. In the 7-8 times we have stayed here, we have never encountered alot of smokers and we did stay in the rooms with the long shared balcony. There are other rooms that have private decks. You may pay more, but you also get fireplaces in some rooms. I would not want anyone to think that only smokers go here. I am sensitive myself to smoke, but when you take a room with a long shared balcony, you have that possibility.

It is a lovely property..very serene and very friendly.

I do agree, if you need to "wired" the whole ttrip..my blackberry got no access at all though Verizon showed it had full service in the area. We had to drive into the village to get service. My laptop picked up one of the few wireless networks the inn has from my room, but I had to bring it into the parlor next to the lobby to get the best strength.

Overall..always the best experience!

Slice of Heaven

by TripAdvisor Member scwretired

Nestled back in a hillside on Northern California Coast lies LIttle River Inn. It's quaint and picturesque.
We had an ocean view room with rocking chairs to enjoy the view. The restaurant is lovely and the accomodations great down to the bathrobes in the closet. The beds were comfortable and all you could hear at night was the ocean. It's a must for your next stay around the Mendocino area. The price was right compared to the cost of the hotels in Mendocino.

A cut above

I stayed during the recent coastal storm when the area was out of power but the lights at the Little River Inn stayed on due to their own generator. My room had a beautiful view of the ocean and the rock formations (that remind one of the west of Ireland) as well as a fireplace prepared daily for use with fresh wood and firestaters by inn staff. The room was immaculate, with some newer and some older furnishings, but it all worked. Every staff person I encountered was pleasant and professional, behaving as though they all have a real stake in the business. That attitude is increasingly rare. Excellent, if a bit pricey, breakfast in the restaurant.

Go for the view, the pleasant rooms, and the attention to detail on the part of the innkeepers. Well-done!

Great Romantic Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member Debarm

My husband and I often make a quick getaway to Mendocino for romance and relaxation. This was the 1st time however, that we stayed at the Little River Inn and what a great place to stay. Our room had a wonderful view of the ocean, a great fireplace and a cozy whirlpool bath. The room was large and well appointed with 2 chairs in front of the fireplace and T.V. and a small table that could be used for dining. Out on the deck were two nice rockers in which to sit, drink some wine, watch the waves and catch up with some reading. My only complaint is that I made the reservation to late to have a king room so our room had 2 beds one which was not used. We were impressed enough to secure a room for New Years Eve and look forward to another great trip. v

Hidden Gem on the North Coast

by TripAdvisor Member medic4600

I hesitated to do this review because I want this room open on my next trip. I booked this room for one night and my only regret after arriving was that it was already booked for the next night. The entire resort stood out as we pulled in, immaculate grounds, well kept buildings and incredible views. Our room was in the Van Damme building which is situated on the West side of Highway One with it's own deck, hot tub, and fireplace. The bed was very comfortable, with a great mattress and nice linens. A perfect nights sleep! It's one of those places you really don't want to leave.

The restaurant on site is one of the nicer ones around though we felt it's food was merely average, especially for the price. Breakfast was much better than dinner and we found that the small store just across from the main property had a nice deli, and good selection of local wine at reasonable prices.

I'm at work now, day dreaming that I was on the deck watching the waves and whales. I would rank it as one of my favorite places. We would definitely stay here again, hopefully sooner than later.

Nice view

by TripAdvisor Member lorWi

This hotel sits a bit up a hill across Hwy 1 from the ocean. We had a groundfloor room in a building on the north side of the main building. From our room we could not see the road, so we had a nice ocean view. There were rocking chairs on the porch.
The room was a typical old motel room; not very spacious, although the bathroom was fairly large. There was no airconditioning or ceiling fan, so we had to leave the sliding glass door and the front window (next to the sidewalk) open to get cross ventilation to clear out the winter stuffiness from the room and cool the room on a warm night. It didn't feel like a dangerous area but it made me feel uncomfortable to know that someone could easily open the sliding door while we were sleeping. The front desk staff seemed very nice. ( Breakfast was not included.) The cute town of Mendocino is a very short drive from here.

Nice Get-Away

by TripAdvisor Member honeymoonseeker

We stayed in the Bullard room in the Van Damme section of LRI for one night in July 07 -- we should have booked two nights! The room is cozy with a fireplace and two leather sling chairs, a separate eating area with a library of good books to read, and a lovely semi-private deck overlooking the pacific. We enjoyed the sunset from the deck jacuzzi and also seeing the horse in the pasture. Two deer were just 20 yards from us.

We ordered room service and it came promptly with great service. The food was hot and good. It was a wonderful way to relax after my sister's wedding in San Francisco!

Great value in an phenomenal setting

by TripAdvisor Member radiofreebird

What a find this place is.

We stayed at the LRI for two nights last fall as part of a leisurely trip up California Route 1. I had been worried that the hotel's setting would not live up to the promise held by the photos on the website. Many hotels look great online, but all too often the reality does not compete with creative photo cropping and my own runaway imagination. Not this time. The location is magnificent. While the property is separated from the ocean by the highway, it is situated on a bluff which obscures much of the road from view. The property is comprised of a cluster of buildings. The handsome 19th-century main house rightfully takes main billing in their promotional materials, while the newer buildings are thoughtfully sited and designed in such a way as to not detract from its charm. The property is, in my opinion, the ideal size: small enough to be intimate and cozy, but not so small that the owners and fellow guests are in your face all the time. (My wife and I avoid B&B's for this reason).

The furnishings in our upper level Bayside Room were basic but clean; inside it felt like a run-of-the-mill motel room, but the stunning Pacific views from the room-- and particularly the attached porch-- more than made up for the somewhat dated furnishings. We made a point of getting back to the room by late afternoon so that we could watch the sunset over the Pacific in our rocking chairs. I should note that the balcony off the back of the Bayside rooms is not a private affair but rather a long porch running the length of the building with no dividers. This did not bother us, but privacy fanatics may want to talk to the owners about other options.

The restaurant is fantastic, some of the best food we ate on our trip. We had planned on venturing into Mendocino or another nearby inn for dinner one night, but we enjoyed the food so much that we dined at the LRI both nights (and both mornings). The beef short ribs I had one night were particularly outstanding. Breakfast was also good. The dining room is elegant but relaxed; I put on a sweater and jacket but would have felt comfortable in more casual wear as well.

This place is a gem and an excellent value for the money. We would not hesitate to return.

Mmmmedocino....

by TripAdvisor Member hillerywalsh

Our visit was incredible, we stayed mid week in Electra which is pretty much like your own house. It is too lovely to explain in words, the privacy is unmatched to any place we've ever stayed at. It's a mile from the main house, but only distance separates you from their helpful and sincere care, you never feel dispaced and they even bring room service a mile down the road, fresh and hot-with a smile!

From Lynn, to Sue (best bartender who makes her own bloody Mary mix which once you try, you will never do a mix again!) to Ms. Abbey Rose, the inn's kitty, everyone truly cared not only about how our stay was, but about US.

We will make this our "special place" and return again and again!

Comments