Days Inn City Center

free purple bus in Long Beach, CAfree purple bus in Long Beach, CA

Bubba Gump's Fish n ChipsBubba Gump's Fish n Chips

Memorabilia on display from The PikeMemorabilia on display from The Pike

Sunset in DowntownSunset in Downtown

the safety of public transit

by deblaya

Hello,

I'll be visiting Long Beach next week for 3 days and will be staying at a hotel near the waterfront. My plan is to spend 2 days in the hollywood/santa monica area and 1 day at a beach. According to the MTA website theres the 'blue line' that goes to LA and I can transfer to the 'green line' to go to Rotondo and transfer to the 'red line' to go to hollywood. My questions are: Is it safe to travel through southern LA from Long Beach, ie. through Compton and other areas. And if its not safe can anyone recommend a better (yet cheap) way to go to the places I mentioned. I'm a young female travelling alone and I don't want to put myself in any dangerous situations.

Thanks!

by lmkluque

Though I haven't used this form of transportation, my guess is that you would be safe enough. Public transportation is usually well monitored especially through neighborhoods that tend to have more trouble than others.

Hope this helps,
Linda

RE: RE: the safety of public transit

by HarmoniousBotch

On the MTA through southern LA you will be fine. There are some stops where a reasonable person does not get off ( Compton, Lynwood ), but you will be ok going through.

by HarmoniousBotch

by nomad7890

I would personally switch to a hotel in Santa Monica ... you will save quite a bit of time and aggravation on transportation. Do take into consideration it's been many moons since I took public transportation in LA ...
Not sure why Long Beach ... Santa Monica is also a beach and you could find a place to ride bikes and ride around into Venice Beach, etc. The hotel in Santa Monica could be a bit more expensive ... but so is your valuable time commuting. And Compton is definitely an area to avoid.

Nomad

by cheap_tourist

First of all, there's no need for you to take the Green Line if you're going to Hollywood from Long Beach. Take the Blue Line to its terminal in Downtown L.A. then transfer to a Red Line train going to North Hollywood. There's another Red Line train that goes to Wilshire/Western--don't take it.

Taking the Blue Line train is generally safe. As an added precaution, however, I suggest that you ride in the first car (where the driver/engineer is). Also, although it may be perfectly safe, avoid riding Blue Line trains at night.

RE: RE: the safety of public transit

by deblaya

I'm staying in Long Beach because I'm tagging along on this trip and the room is free for me. Beggars can't be choosers :) Thanks for all of the great advice!

by nomad7890

Ah, a free trip, the best! So for the beach day if you enjoy bikes you may want to rent one - here are a couple of sites. First link made me homesick! I used to take my kids to the beach when they were little: - http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/sports/bike/beach/southbay/index.htm

VT's

Not really sure where to rent the bike, but I remember seeing bike places along the road. Venice is also a sight to see, very typical Southern California, big icon (people really pumped iron and lived on the beach before it became so touristy).

Enjoy your trip! Nomad

by cachaseiro

i used public transport recently in both long beach and compton and felt just fine.
i even rode my bicycle through compton one day without any haslles, so i think you should be just ok.

Travel Tips for Long Beach

'Ahoy there Captain!........

by bugalugs

Although not cruising the seas any longer the Queen Mary is nevertheless a beautiful ship, attracting many tourists, and well worth a visit.

There are staterooms preserved how they were when the ship was launched.

Yes, Squirrel Watching!

by marinarena

Just when you think that you're in the most city area of the city, you see squirrels all over the place. I was near the campus of Long Beach State and the Veteran's Memorial Hospital when I got this shop of this nutty character. Let's call her Ashy, for the sake of this tip. Ashy was minding her own business along a wall, looking for a nut, definitely not of the human variety. Usually, squirrels get scared off by us but if we're close enough they'll try to scrape us a bit. I got close enough to get this shot without Ashy going crazy on me!

Long Beach oil platforms

by Tom_Fields

People here seem to think of oil drilling as a necessary evil. So, when oil was discovered in Long Beach, the platforms were made into artificial islands, with a structure to make the rigs seem a bit less ugly. It's hard to tell just what these are, unless someone tells you.

The Harbor Islands

by american_tourister

Most people, even people who live in Long Beach, do not know what the little islands in the harbor are. They are man made islands that are actually oil drilling platforms. There was a consortium of companies that wanted to drill. They were Texaco, Humble, Union, Mobil, and Shell. They were told by the city fathers that they could not place any ugly drilling platforms out there as they would be too ugly and would not be good for tourism. These companies banded together and formed a consortium called "THUMS". They originally named the isles for women and these are the names that appear on the old charts (I have one in my posession). In 1967 the island names were changed to honor the Apollo Astronauts who were killed on an Apollo training exercise. They are now called Grisson, White, Chaffee, and the outlying island is called Freeman.

Belmont Shore and its great variety!

by Deise05

One of the most common problems when I travel is the dinner time. That’s because it takes forever for me to decide where to eat, and usually I start looking for it after I am starving! So that is why I recommend the Belmont Shore. It is a long avenue about 15 mins away from Long Beach and it offers an immense variety of food, including Greek, Mexican, American, Indian, and French restaurants.

Comments