8639 Lincoln Blvd, Los Angeles, California, 90045, United States

Expedia.com Priceline.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• MM212's Profile Photo

Great find, convenient location

Located a mere 10 minute drive north of the LAX airport, Custom Hotel is suitable for anyone visiting the Los Angeles area on a short stay. Although there is little of interest in the immediate vicinity, the location is quite convenient for visiting Marina del Rey, Venice Beach and Santa Monica, all within a 10 - 30 minute drive, depending on traffic. But do not be discouraged by the ugly looking black building, as you will spend your time inside the hotel! It happens to be the highest structure in the vicinity and is thus graced by fantastic unobstructed views extending all the way to Malibu and the snow-capped mountains east of LA (in winter). It is thus worth paying an extra $15 for the room with a view. The rather mundane name also masks a simple cutting edge design in the interior that faintly mimics the fashionable W hotels. Even though in reality it is a cheaper quality version, Custom Hotel offers a better price/reward proposition than most hotels. I was able to find last minute prices online for about $150 per night, far less expensive than most hotels in LA. This comes with the free use of a small, but adequately equipped gym. Unfortunately, parking was an extra $15 per night, but there is street parking around the hotel if needed. The staff is super friendly and helpful and the rooms come with the basic amenities. I definitely would stay here again.

More about Custom Hotel

LAX to San Diego

by anacapa

"Jump on FlyAway to Union Station and get on Amtrak.

FlyAway is four bucks each way, goes direct from the airport and is how I travel...and I'm a local. It drops you right at the Amtrak terminal for the ride to San Diego. And, let me tell you, traffic to and from San Diego can be brutal, doubling the travel time...whereas, Amtrak is immune. "

Flyaway bus link at LAX:
(You want to go to Union Station.)

Amtrak:

I don't recommend the connection if you're flying in late at night. Downtown is not tourist-friendly. Stay in a hotel near the airport if that's the case. I recommend Custom Hotel in Westchester. It's close, but worlds away. It's located in a small neighborhood commercial district about 3 minutes away by taxi. Quite a different experience from the other airport-adjacent hotels. There are some nice restaurants in the neighborhood. A favorite is Alejo's.

Happy Trails!

Cool Place

by TripAdvisor Member Karenloveland

We had a great stay! The place is very modern and funky. The staff was very nice especially the valets. We stayed in a suite, it was big! The suite had two bathrooms! The only negatives were - maybe not a place for small children. The nighclub is right next to the pool. A over beveraged man tried to talk to my 11 year old daughter. We didn't see any other kids there, although everyone was very nice to our kids, the hotel seemed more adult oriented. Oh the condoms on the counter in the rooms and in the vending machine also made for some interesting conversation with the kids! You can hear the planes taking off. Sleeping in on Saturday morning was hard.
Overall, great place, great stay, would go there again in a minute, especially if we get to go without the kids!

Strange place- too kinky and bizarre for me

by TripAdvisor Member travelpro75

I can't believe this hotel exists. Its weird circus like enviornment is not professional nor does it provide a clean, trustworthy atmosphere to feel safe in.

I found the lobby to be fairly strange. It had fake sheep grazing and "want-to-be hip" retro furniture (I actually thought retro furniture was out years ago, silly me). Each elevator was dark and had a strange 4 foot picture of a random person staring at you when you entered. They had a funhouse clown laugh in the elevator when you went up or down, almost as if it was mocking you for staying there.

Getting off the elevator, the hallways were dark and seedy looking. Not welcoming at all. I already did not have a good feeling about what my room was going to be like.

Entering my room, it had a funny smell. Almost like lube or KY jelly. The bathroom in my room had just one light which was pink, strange enough and did not allow for very good visiblity for showering and getting ready. The rooms actually seemed clean enough, my problem was the items they provided for the guests. In the room they have spread out for you sexual items such as condoms, pink duct tape, lotion, tube socks, and other would be sex toys. It did not give me a good image on what went on in the room by past guests and gave me an overall dirty feeling about the place.

As I did not want to sleep in a bed that previous guests must have certainly used the kinky items in- I left and checked out immediately. The man at the front desk said he understood that the hotel was "not for everybody." I can't imagine this place being offered for business travelers on Expedia or any other decent web site.

I know there are some that might say I just didn't "get it." I got it, it just didn't appeal to me. It seemed like a bunch of high school artsie kids designed this place and went terribly wrong. I would highly advise against visiting this place especially if you have your family there or want a normal trustworthy place.

Odd hotel, mostly ok

by TripAdvisor Member KTB75

Really, this would be a four star review, but they had some plumbing issues where the water pressure on the 11th floor was abysmal. I was to tired to hassle with moving to another room.

The decor in the public spaces is very "hip" and they have odd sound effects that play in the elevators. Also, the portrait/mural in one of the elevators sort of freaked me out for some reason. However, I had been traveling for 13 hours so I might have been easily startled.

Clean hotel rooms, close to a grocery store, complimentary wireless works great.

A little hard to drive in and out of if you don't know where you are going.

Valet parking only.

that sheep may safely graze

by TripAdvisor Member koromuso

From the road it looked like an anonymous black cube with CutomHotel.Com written high up on the building, somewhere around the 18th floor, but with no other identifying signs. The cab driver who took us there said he'd driven past the place ever day for three years and had never seen anyone go in or out. Indeed, we had to walk all around the building before we found the front door. It was not identified as the door to a hotel....or, for that matter, as a entrance to anything. It was a smooth, frosted green glass panel.

We walked into the most stylish place I had ever seen. Very posh, very chic. Hanging over the desk was a red neon script sign that read "Notic somnus nobis Nox" (when was the last time you went into a hotel with a Latin greeting?). The walls were painted black. About the lobby were replicas of sheep covered in thick, shaggy wool, which, I think, were functional as stools. Or maybe not. I've been in some stylish places, but thiis one was way cool.

The desk clerk wore what I estimated to be a $3,000 suit and Ferragamo eyewear. He had that two day stubble that you see in high fashion magazines.. He seemed surprised to see the likes of us, rumpled and disheveled from 24 hours in airports and planes., but he was very friendly and helpful. He gave us our key and indicated the elevator.

When we got into the elevator, a mechanical voice said something to us in French about the corruption of the world and the weariness of people who inhabit it. There was a huge photo occupying the entire rear wall of the elevator of a woman with her hair swept back by what could only be gale force winds. She had that look that high-tone fashion models have nowadays: malnourished heroin addict.

Our room, like the lobby, was painted black, but the door to the bathroom was frosted glass and the bathroom light was on. It was red. There was another light you could turn on in the bathroom, which was green. So you could practice looking like a corpse or you could elect a rosy glow

There was a safe in the room that was three feet by three feet by four feet with about 6" of bullet proof steel. President Bush's limousine is not so well armored. Someone who stays in this hotel clearly is transporting large quantities of something very valuable.

There was a basket of amenities on top of the mini-bar that included several rolls of pink duct tape, a couple of paddles, blindfolds, radish seeds and a bottle of wine labeled SCREW KAPPA NAPA. The wine was otherwise identified as pinot noir. I'm not clear about the radish seeds.

There was also a sign that said "Do not open your door to anyone. Double lock yourself in. Do not go outside the hotel alone" and other similarly unsettling things.

On the bedside table were two magazines: one called BARK, which was about dog training and the other called SPA LIFE, which was about vacations in places I'd never heard of. There was a flat-screen Hi-Def tv with a bazillion channels.

It was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. It had a snowy white duvet and high loft feather pillows. The duvet was pretty clearly changed every day, because it was absolutely pristine. At the foot of the bed was a woven coverlet adorned with pictures of dogs.

This place was superb, but I wouldn't want to go there with children or my maiden aunt from Omaha. If you're looking for a home-like atmosphere, you probably wouldn't dig this place, but I absolutely adored it. I figured it was worth the price we payed just to be able to tell this story

Nice Surprise - cool airport hotel

by TripAdvisor Member BondiGirl01

I had a day and a night to spend in LA in between flights, so wanted something close to the airport. I was expecting some awful non-descript, boring international chain full of old business types. This place is COOL. It seems like a renovation of an older building - which is mostsly seemless. Hip and trendy design - not uber chic, but pretty impressive for the price.

Comfy beds! Helpful staff. Breakfast was pretty basic - but I think they are opening a cafe/breakfast place very soon. in the meantime, there is a good diner a two minute walk away where you can get a decent breakfast!

GREAT poolside seating area where you can have a drink and relax, It was so nice you could actually call it a venue - i would have been happy to meet friends for a drink there.

My two gripes are: There should be free internet access - the computers in the business centre are overpriced. As i write this I realise I didn't ask if they have WiFi - but I don't think they do. We don't all take our laptops on holiday, so it is nice t be able to check email for less than $15!

Gripe 2: The halls are too dark. I am female and stayed there alone - I felt safe at all times, but it was a bit creepy walking around in the mood lit corridors to find the gym and business centre (which aren't well signposted). I'd say turn the lights up a bit... please.

Would recommed it to young people, or the young at heart.

Hidden Chic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member CMCsf

I booked this room via hotels.com for a super rate of $111 a night. I thought the price was great for this small hidden gem. The location is ideal if you plan on being in the west LA area. LAX, Venice Beach, Santa Monica are all very close in proximity. The hotel has a restaurant, we didnt try it and weekend nightlife. We had a queen room on the 6th floor and found it adequate for our stay, there was a flat screen tv (strange location, not directly in front of the bed), mini bar, desk and radio with ipod hookup. We enjoyed watching planes take off and lane from our bed, the noise was not bad considering the airport was there. Not too pleased with the $20 per day parking fee but most city hotels charge something so not surprising. I think this place is interesting and would definately return. It does bill itself as pet friendly but we never saw any. The sheep in the lobby were also an interesting concept, I couldn't wait to see in the lobby were they had moved to.
I do recommend this place, the bed was comfortable and the staff was non-intrusive.

We Called it the Love Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Highcon

We were looking for a great rate in LA and found this place for $100 for a Saturday night. The reviews were good so we booked it.

Have to say, it's was the best deal I've ever found for $100, though this place certainly isn't for everyone. We called it the "Love Hotel" because the place is essentially a club with rooms on the top (which seem specifically designed for people to hook up after meeting at the bar). The place is done in black like a back room, there's a gift box of condoms and things when you walk in to the room, but the beds are nice and the TV's are flat-screen and modern, even if the rooms are a bit tiny and focused mainly on one thing: getting busy.

But for $100 I was surprised by the nice touches like specialty shampoos, down comforters, big pillows, nice views, and yes, those odd sheep standing the lobby. Also, the restaurant was good and the service was first rate - kudos to the restaurant staff.

Be warned: when we walked in on Saturday, the lobby was essentially a club. There's no place to park (you have to valet it and wing the luggage) and we could barely hear the check-in clerk above the disco beats. This place is not geared to the family traveler or the businessperson wanting peace and quiet (though you couldn't hear the noise from the ninth floor room I was in).

But I do have to say, after a long flight from NY, it was kind of nice to be somewhere exotic with my partner and find ourselves inspired by the life and atmosphere, even though it was three in the morning (our time) and we'd been traveling for the past eight hours. The place worked on us, if you know what I mean. And did I mention it's only a couple of blocks from the airport? Couldn't have been more convenient.

So - if you're in LA for an evening and looking for something inexpensive and fun, check this place out.

Loved Custom!

by TripAdvisor Member masteroflove

My wife and I stayed at Custom for three days and it was wonderful!! We were treated as VIP guest when we weren't. The hotel itself was great, very different than your normal standard hotel. We were greeted with smile at the front desk and the agent was very helpful in all of our questions.The elevators were something else, my wife and I would laugh every time we got on. We entered our room and loved it...we had an ocean view room witch had an amazing sunset view very romantic witch is what I wanted for my wife. Just a little advice too those who are planning to stay at Custom with your wife (the pink duck tape comes in handy). We are both looking forward to returning!

LIKED: The pool area, very chic! The food, Bistrotek had a great menu to choose from. The staff, the receptionist was very helpful I think her name was gimel she recommend great places to take my wife for her birthday. My wife wanted a simple place not too fancy but romantic so she recommended The Grove and it was great! very romantic especially the dancing fountain happy to say my wife gave me some amazing loving that night!(wink) so thank you gimel! And of course i can't forget the sheep's at the lobby! nice touch!

Unless you are under 30, this is not a hotel for you

by TripAdvisor Member EWelsh

This is a hotel tries too hard to be "hip". The deco is too modern and too "simple" for my taste. I would think that if someone spends over $120 a night that they would at least get a dresser, a coffee maker, and a bigger bathroom. Oh, yes, the room is kinda dark. No vending or ice machines in the hotel.

The hotel lobby is more like a lounge with neon lights and sheep stuff animals. Did I mention that the elevator actually talks to you in French? I stayed at room 724 for two nights. I could hear the airplane taking off noise. On the 2nd night, in addition to the taking off noise, loud music was playing until midnight from the pool area right below my room. The walls of the rooms were thin and you could hear the neighbors and you could hear it too when someone was walking down the corridor.

Unless you are young and hip or who have mid-life crisis, this is not the kind of hotel for you!!

Comments