120 South Los Angeles Str., Los Angeles, California 90012, United States

Poor Value

Costs More than similar hotels

See Popular Hotels

Don't Go Here

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 15, 2010

The place is nice. The rooms were definitely nice with nice linens and bedding, as well as furniture.

The service was absolutely HORRIBLE and I can say that the niceness of the hotel could never make the LACK OF SERVICE better than it was, nor make me EVER EVER want to go back or even refer someone to go there.
REASONS:
1.) Check in/Service - the ladies at the front desk ignored everyone, including me, my spouse and his best friend, a groom, who was having his wedding at this location. After 5 minutes of standing there, in front of them, while they failed to acknowledge our presence, they proceeded to check in my spouse and I. This part of the check-in seemed semi-decent; I've seen better. Then it was the groom's turn to check in. This turned into hell. Maria, the lady checking us in, ignored the groom for about 2 minutes while she was on the phone; she failed to acknowledge him properly. Then while she was checking on his room, she said that his future wife already checked into their "day of" room and honeymoon suite. She was confident about it, stating it was a fact. We called the bride to verify; she said she was in her parent's room and did not check in, so, obviously she did not check in. Once we informed her that the bride did not check into the rooms, Maria replied with "Oh... Yeah... well, no one has checked in yet." SERVICE FAIL #1 because she has no idea how to do her job.
2.) Service - I had some wedding guests in my room prior to the ceremony. There was a wardrobe malfunction and we needed some safety pins. Knowing this was supposed to be a 4 Star Hotel, I thought it would be an easy task for them to complete, especially because another4 Star Japanese hotel in San Diego was able to successfully complete this task in the past. I called down to the front desk and asked for 2 safety pins; they responded stating that they would call housekeeping to see if they could get some and then call me back. 5 minutes pass by, no response. I call back down and ask again. They said the same thing. 10 minutes pass by and nothing happens. I call down for a THIRD time. They responded angrily and said they would check and that they would place me on hold; they hung up. I waited for another 10 minutes for someone to come up to the room. They didn't. I walked downstairs to the front desk and asked how difficult it was to get 2 safety pins; one lady with curly hair responded angrily and said that she heard the lady who answered say what she said and that the phone disconnected and that me "waiting" for 30 minutes was not true. If the phone disconnected, and they know which room the telephone call is coming from, why didn't they call back? They obviously don't know how to do their job and especially don't know what "Customer Service" means. SERVICE FAIL #2.
3.) Service - After the wedding ceremony, we went down to the Azalia Restaurant. Nice venue and decent but not average service. Due to their inability to maintain the side entrance from the STREET, 2 wedding crashers walked in and grabbed drinks and appetizers. People from the wedding party had to kick them out. I don't know why the hotel didn't take the precaution of blocking off the STREET entrance when they knew a party was being held there and that anyone walking on the street had access to the entrance. SERVICE FAIL #3.
4.) Service - Breakfast in the Azalia on Sunday morning. Definitely not worth $17.95 per person. No one came by to serve water or greet us. I had to search for a spoon. We had to track people down to get the check. If someone was there to give us service, we wouldn't have to search for spoons or water (which I never got the entire time because by the time I was done with my breakfast I didn't need water anymore), which then would also allow for them to properly figure out how to break up the checks. SERVICE FAIL #4.
5.) Service - Parking. Parking was decent in itself. The worst part of it was when my spouse was getting the car, they made him pay cash only. He had to back up and park, then go find an ATM and get cash. It cost $25.00 to SELF park over night. That's ridiculous in itself. We got home later that day and checked our account. They billed us extra on our room to include parking, something we already paid for because the guy made us pay cash, not even asking for a receipt from the front desk. The lady on the phone was unrelenting, saying that the parking guy is supposed to give us a receipt. She wanted us to show her a receipt showing we paid for the parking. This entire weekend we were never given a receipt (we never got one when we checked out - most places provide receipts... but apparently this one doesn't because the front desk people don't know how to do their job), so how would we be able to show a receipt that didn't exist? After 5 minutes of convincing her that we paid and that we never were given receipts anyways because of their failure to do their job, she decided to refund us the extra amount they OVER charged us for no reason. How do they even know we used a car in the first place? How to they charge for something that they can't prove we had. SERVICE FAIL #5.

I mean, seriously, how difficult is it for CUSTOMER SERVICE professions to actually provide customer service? Apparently it's rather difficult here. Their employees were obviously not chosen accordingly to help improve their customer service. Who ever hired the managers to hire these dumb hourly employees should be fired. I also don' t know if training would even help these employees become better or more equip to perform their jobs. If this hotel has amazing employees, they obviously don't work weekends when a majority of their clientèle are there.

This place will forever be marked in my book as the worst place to stay ever. I wouldn't even send my worst enemy to stay here and get the horrible service I did. No one deserves to be subjected to this crap for $200 night.

Nearby DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown

• Kyoto Grand Los Angeles

Address: 120 South Los Angeles Str., Los Angeles, California 90012, United States

Amenities at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown

• Shuttle Service
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Los Angeles Travel Forum

Need advice about Los Angeles, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Los Angeles and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Los Angeles hotel reviews