120 South Los Angeles Str., Los Angeles, California 90012, United States

Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Don't Go Here

The place is nice. The rooms were definitely nice with nice linens and bedding, as well as furniture.

The service was absolutely HORRIBLE and I can say that the niceness of the hotel could never make the LACK OF SERVICE better than it was, nor make me EVER EVER want to go back or even refer someone to go there.
    REASONS:
    1.) Check in/Service - the ladies at the front desk ignored everyone, including me, my spouse and his best friend, a groom, who was having his wedding at this location. After 5 minutes of standing there, in front of them, while they failed to acknowledge our presence, they proceeded to check in my spouse and I. This part of the check-in seemed semi-decent; I've seen better. Then it was the groom's turn to check in. This turned into hell. Maria, the lady checking us in, ignored the groom for about 2 minutes while she was on the phone; she failed to acknowledge him properly. Then while she was checking on his room, she said that his future wife already checked into their "day of" room and honeymoon suite. She was confident about it, stating it was a fact. We called the bride to verify; she said she was in her parent's room and did not check in, so, obviously she did not check in. Once we informed her that the bride did not check into the rooms, Maria replied with "Oh... Yeah... well, no one has checked in yet." SERVICE FAIL #1 because she has no idea how to do her job.
    2.) Service - I had some wedding guests in my room prior to the ceremony. There was a wardrobe malfunction and we needed some safety pins. Knowing this was supposed to be a 4 Star Hotel, I thought it would be an easy task for them to complete, especially because another4 Star Japanese hotel in San Diego was able to successfully complete this task in the past. I called down to the front desk and asked for 2 safety pins; they responded stating that they would call housekeeping to see if they could get some and then call me back. 5 minutes pass by, no response. I call back down and ask again. They said the same thing. 10 minutes pass by and nothing happens. I call down for a THIRD time. They responded angrily and said they would check and that they would place me on hold; they hung up. I waited for another 10 minutes for someone to come up to the room. They didn't. I walked downstairs to the front desk and asked how difficult it was to get 2 safety pins; one lady with curly hair responded angrily and said that she heard the lady who answered say what she said and that the phone disconnected and that me "waiting" for 30 minutes was not true. If the phone disconnected, and they know which room the telephone call is coming from, why didn't they call back? They obviously don't know how to do their job and especially don't know what "Customer Service" means. SERVICE FAIL #2.
    3.) Service - After the wedding ceremony, we went down to the Azalia Restaurant. Nice venue and decent but not average service. Due to their inability to maintain the side entrance from the STREET, 2 wedding crashers walked in and grabbed drinks and appetizers. People from the wedding party had to kick them out. I don't know why the hotel didn't take the precaution of blocking off the STREET entrance when they knew a party was being held there and that anyone walking on the street had access to the entrance. SERVICE FAIL #3.
    4.) Service - Breakfast in the Azalia on Sunday morning. Definitely not worth $17.95 per person. No one came by to serve water or greet us. I had to search for a spoon. We had to track people down to get the check. If someone was there to give us service, we wouldn't have to search for spoons or water (which I never got the entire time because by the time I was done with my breakfast I didn't need water anymore), which then would also allow for them to properly figure out how to break up the checks. SERVICE FAIL #4.
    5.) Service - Parking. Parking was decent in itself. The worst part of it was when my spouse was getting the car, they made him pay cash only. He had to back up and park, then go find an ATM and get cash. It cost $25.00 to SELF park over night. That's ridiculous in itself. We got home later that day and checked our account. They billed us extra on our room to include parking, something we already paid for because the guy made us pay cash, not even asking for a receipt from the front desk. The lady on the phone was unrelenting, saying that the parking guy is supposed to give us a receipt. She wanted us to show her a receipt showing we paid for the parking. This entire weekend we were never given a receipt (we never got one when we checked out - most places provide receipts... but apparently this one doesn't because the front desk people don't know how to do their job), so how would we be able to show a receipt that didn't exist? After 5 minutes of convincing her that we paid and that we never were given receipts anyways because of their failure to do their job, she decided to refund us the extra amount they OVER charged us for no reason. How do they even know we used a car in the first place? How to they charge for something that they can't prove we had. SERVICE FAIL #5.

I mean, seriously, how difficult is it for CUSTOMER SERVICE professions to actually provide customer service? Apparently it's rather difficult here. Their employees were obviously not chosen accordingly to help improve their customer service. Who ever hired the managers to hire these dumb hourly employees should be fired. I also don' t know if training would even help these employees become better or more equip to perform their jobs. If this hotel has amazing employees, they obviously don't work weekends when a majority of their clientèle are there.

This place will forever be marked in my book as the worst place to stay ever. I wouldn't even send my worst enemy to stay here and get the horrible service I did. No one deserves to be subjected to this crap for $200 night.

More about Kyoto Grand Hotel and Gardens Los Angeles

Kyoto Grand Hotel- beautiful gardens, so-so area

by TripAdvisor Member KIDSMOM95

My family (husband, two kids aged 13 and 10) and I stayed here from March 28 - 31, having booked online directly with the hotel and getting a great internet rate that included parking.

The hotel is very nice, although our room did not appear to be one of the newer renovated ones with the Japanese theme. It did overlook the gorgeous rooftop gardens. The location is close to the Disney concert hall, but be mindful that unlike many other large cities, there is not much happening in downtown Los Angeles after dark or on the weekends. If you are looking for family -friendly fast food places and activities, you'll have to drive a ways. That was not and issue for us, as you have to drive everywhere in LA anyways! The free parking (with unlimited in and out priveledges) was a real bonus! The restaurants in the hotel were extremely expensive and there did not seem to be too many kid's options, again, there was a Japanese theme to most of them. There is a Starbucks downstairs so that was our breakfast option.

The beds and pillows were a little hard, but the toiletries were first rate, with a lovely mandarin orange scent.

All in all, for a weekend getaway, it was a good deal for a nice hotel, if you don't mind driving to wherever you have to go.

Hotel Suggestions

by GracesTrips about Various Names

Since I live in the LA area, there has never been a need to stay in a hotel here. But for those of you visiting, here are some suggestions:

Really Expensive

Westin
Hyatt Hotel
Sheraton
Roosevelt Hotel

My preference for reasonable accomodations
Hilton Hotel
Marriot
Embassy Suites
Radisson Hotel
Best Western

Reasonably Priced and a little better accomodations than the cheap hotels
Howard Johnson
Comfort Inn and Suites
Ramada Inn
Days Inn
Quality Inn
La Quinta Inn
Holiday Inn
Hampton Inn

Cheap Hotels that can be found in various places throughout LA - Be careful, many "undesirable types" stay in places like this
Econo Lodge - I think these are okay
Motel 6 - I wouldn't stay here
Travelodge - Don't know
Vagabond Inn - Also, don't know

A unique and pleasant LA Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member symbiosis379

I had stayed in the Kyoto Grand Hotel one other time about 2-3 years ago (when it was called New Otani). The hotel has clearly improved. I didn't have any significant problems with it before, but it's clear that the rooms and the lobby have been renovated, and they have stayed faithful to the Japanese decor that makes the hotel and the area so unique. Don't be afraid to walk outside the hotel and around Little Tokyo. It's a nice little area with some good Japanese restaurants. In the room, the view was nice, and the Japanese sliding screens on the windows were a nice touch. Also, it's nice to have the mini-fridge. The bathroom was very clean, but still needs some updating. The tile around the bath tub is a gaudy pink color, and although I liked the handheld shower head, it wouldn't stay in the right position when I put it on the hook. The faucet at the sink was difficult to operate and get a good temperature. I will also insert my usual complaint about extra fees, including $24 for self-parking. However, overall, the hotel was a great place to stay, and another great deal ($80 winning bid on Priceline).

The garden was awesome!

by TripAdvisor Member thisgigsux

My husband and I stayed in a non-smoking room with a king size bed. We got a great deal online ($99) and were surprised to find that the price included parking (normally $24). Our room was a nice size, clean, and our favorite part was the Japanese screens on the windows. We had a great view of the garden and downtown LA. Our bed was not extremely comfortable, but not awful either. The gardens were beautiful.

Kyoto is trying....

by TripAdvisor Member bigwavejames

Corner room. Bathroom outdated, first night bottom sheet made short, bug bite, corner not cleaned with a wrapper left over from the night before, parking $24/ night.. But, good area, hotel is trying, free shuttle within 2 miles of the hotel if you ask for it, and nearby sake and beer. If cost is close, i would spend the night in historical downtown.

Nothing special, but few real problems

by TripAdvisor Member MJMH

I spent five nights here recently while attending a convention. I have not been a frequent visitor to LA, so I was surprised how uninteresting and deserted the downtown area is at night. There seemed to be very little in the immediate vicinity, though Little Tokyo is a few blocks walk away.

The hotel itself, as you can guess from its name, has a Japanese theme, but my room showed no such influences. It was a standard, Western-style King-bed room. The amenities were OK, but the overall impression is bland and predictable. A few minor complaints - some of the lamps were not working and neither were the pay-per-view movies. The latter didn't bother me but the problems suggest that routine quality checks are not carried out.

I didn't use room service or the in-house restaurants. There is a cocktail and sake bar called Genji, a sushi and tempura bar and a steak/seafood restaurant. They looked expensive and if Japanese food is your thing I suspect you can find a lot better and cheaper within a few blocks of the hotel.

If you are staying here and don't have a car, try Pete's Cafe and Bar - about three blocks away and a great place.

Excellent Location

by TripAdvisor Member josephmartines

This hotel has an excellent location to see the attractions of the Los Angels area. There are very good restaurants within walking distance as well as some small stores. We felt safe to walk around the neighborhood at night. The hotel is clean and has updated decor. Staff is friendly and helpful. I would stay here again on my next trip to Los Angels.

Could have been better for the price....

by TripAdvisor Member airlinetraveler

The hotel is located in Little Tokyo -- not the best neighborhood, but could have been worse. Was not impressed with the room's beds nor the few pillows and television volume was not working properly. Food prices were beyond ridiculous. Hotel does not have a swimming pool or spa, but the gardens are very beautiful and restful. This hotel is not up to the standard of a Hyatt or Hilton IMO -- would not choose to stay here again for the price.

Loved Kyoto

by TripAdvisor Member DreamerLMH

I obsolutly loved the hotel, we went to a concert to the Walt Disney Concert Hall and I book this hotel online, when you are looking for a hotel they all look so good, pictures are amazing but sometimes when you get to the places you are disappointed but this time it was more than I expected, me and my friend just loved the hotel, the gardens and everything we saw, I wish we could stay longer to have dinner at the restaurant next to the gardens that must be a beautiful view from inside, maybe next time because I definetely will stay there again, the room was just as comfortable as it could be, walk in closet!!
The staff very nice and courteous, and helpful, couldn't ask for more, keep the good work!!
Thanks,