927 Hilgard Ave., Los Angeles, California, 90024, United States
Booking.com Priceline.com Hotelsclick.com

More about Hilgard House Hotel

Well presented rest roomWell presented rest room

An old downtownAn old downtown

canal in Venicecanal in Venice

Tram from parking garageTram from parking garage

Los Angeles _ HELP!

by peta_ballerina

Hi guys

I'm doing a bit of investigative work --- going to be in LA from the 5th -9th April. I'm not quite sure where to stay - of course, I want to do the regular touristy things, as well as shopping - I was thinking maybe one night in Santa Monica and the other nights in West Hollywood or Beverly Hills. Is this a decent idea? I don't really know the whole idea of LA - what is the distance between Santa Monica and West Hollywood? And are there ways other than driving a car to get from a to b?

RE: Los Angeles _ HELP!

by YVRDave

Santa Monica to West Hollywood is up to an hour. Others may say more or less. i guess it would depend on traffic, time of day etcetera.
What do you dislike more; packing and moving or traffic?
To me its packing and moving. I would sit in traffic for 2-3 hours a FULL day over changing hotels. Your choices of Santa monica Beverly Hills and West Hollywood are easily drivable, I would recommend West Beverly Hills to be in the middle. Try the Luxe Sunset Blvd. http://www.luxehotels.com/index.cfm?PropID=162

RE: Los Angeles _ HELP!

by tracys2cents

The bus system is good, but slow. For tourists, it can be a nice way to get in a little tour while going from point a to point b. Are you shopping for anything in particular? Do you have a budget in mind for hotels?

RE: RE: Los Angeles _ HELP!

by peta_ballerina

Budget for botel - hmmmmmmmmm ... around $100 US a night - can I get a decent hotel for that?

Saying that the bus system is good but slow - does this mean we could get between Santa Monica and Beverly Hills on the bus?

RE: RE: Los Angeles _ HELP!

by tracys2cents

Hilgard House in Westwood might be a good choice for you. Very nice neighborhood near UCLA. Two blocks from the hotel you can take a 25 minute bus ride into Santa Monica.......also two blocks from the hotel you can take #2 citybus 20 minutes into West Hollywood.

Also, there is shopping and PLENTY of restaurants in the area of this hotel. Lots of students around to help point you to the right bus, etc.

Around $120 per night if you book at HilgardHouse.com

If you do not have very large luggage, you can even take the Santa Monica City Bus from LAX to the hotel. Take the shuttle from the airport terminal to the transit bus center, then take Santa Monica #3 bus to Westwood. This trip would take about 25 minutes in a car but 1 hour 30 minutes in the bus....that's what they mean by SLOW. The bus makes a lot of stops.

Family Fun in LA Area

by susieq29

My husband & I will be travelling with our children ( aged 10, 14 & 16) to California in Jan 2006.We will have a car and have 4 days. We will be coming from Santa Barbara. We are looking for:
* a great place to stay where the children will be happy. Central to things. A specific hotel name would help, clean, safe and comfortable.
* what things should we do and what sites/sights should we not miss? We will have already done 10dys in DisneyWorld, so we're not interested in Disneyland or Universal.
* our daughter will be turning 16 on jan23,so does anyone know of something special that we can do for that date?
Thanks! SusieQ29

by mydreamquest

Unfortunately, I cannot find a name for you, but one great place to stay that caters to adults and children in the Greater Los Angeles area in Anaheim near Edison Field. There's some kind of a Disney Village there that has kids stuff but at night it has some nice adult sports bars so that you and the hubby are happy. It also has shopping so while he's at the bar watching sports games, you can shop and (whispers: "go on a shopping spree").

It's more than just that though, but anyway, it's actually called Downtown Disney, here's the web site:

by joesorce

A lot depends on your budget, but the Westwood/Beverly Hills area is fun with lots of restaurants and theatres around, as well as the UCLA campus. The "W" hotel is the biggie, the "Hilgard House" is more quaint and budget minded, the "Holiday Inn Bel Air" is a good family spot.

On Jan 22nd in the evening you could reserve for dinner in The REstaurant atop the Getty Center. Great special occasion spot, only opening evenings on Fri and Sat however. Be sure to visit the Getty museum even if you don't stay for dinner

www.getty.edu

by mcgarrg&j

If your kids are thrill seekers then Magic Mountain (six flags) is a must. Try to go mid week as the line ups can get pretty long on weekends.

by susieq29

thanks for your help everyone. What will the temperature be like in Jan? Susie

RE: RE: Family Fun in LA Area

by Jokerit_pl

The weather in SoCal during January is generally cool and often rainy especially as you get later in the month. The temps will likely be between 17-20C (65-70F) on average during the day. I'd say it's 50-50 on the weather, either sun or rain. Definitely bring an umbrella and a jacket.

Now, the area is known (but not too often) to get spring-like conditions (between 25-30C) during that time of the year, so i'd keep an eye on the weather map as your departure date gets closer. You may be able to bring some summer wear.

4 days in LA

by gurudesh

Hi - We are planning to visit LA for 4-5 days between 02-07 May 2005 on our way to Vancouver. We dont intend to drive. We'd like to cover the must-see items like Disneyland, Universal studios, Hollywood, Bevery Hills, Malibu and Santa Monica beaches. What is the best location to stay at, so that we can use as much public transport as possible? Thanks.

by joesorce

Disneyland is not close to the other attractions that you mention. You will have to take a tour bus to Disneyland, or stay overnight in a hotel near Disneyland if you plan on more than one day.

HilgardHouse.com is a good location if you are using public transport. You can take a bus to Santa Monica, Malibu beach, Beverly Hills and Hollywood. From Hollywood you can take the subway up to Universal. Just take the #2 bus from your hotel east to Highland Avenue (comes after La Brea stop). Walk UP Highland to Hollywood Blvd and take the metro to Universal.
Hilgard House is near UCLA, several places to eat in the area.

Unfortunately the metro subway does not have efficient transportation to most tourist attractions. Without a car, you will have to rely on the slower bus system. But the long bus rides can give you a nice tour of L.A. as well. You can even take the bus from the airport to your hotel depending on the size of your luggage. Takes a long time but you see a lot of neighborhoods from bad to good.

by HarmoniousBotch

"We dont intend to drive."

What is your time worth? You've paid thousands to get here, and you only have a few days. Do you want to spend it waiting for a bus? For a slow bus?

Many visitors to LA find that the distances may be more than they were expecting. From Malibu to Disneyland is about 100 km. You can spend a lot of time covering that distance with LA public transportation.

I recommend renting a car.

by american_tourister

Rent a car. You will regret it if you don't. Public tranportation in LA is horrible.

RE: RE: 4 days in LA

by gurudesh

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Travel Tips for Los Angeles

Los Angeles

by Sweetberry1

I had always wanted to visit LA.. It is a place like no other....
No wonder California has such an appeal to the young. Where else are daring dreams so welcomed and so often rewarded? With the freedom to make a new life and the opportunity to work in a wildly diverse society.

Living in L.A.(Playa del Rey)...

by phildeni

Living in L.A.(Playa del Rey) for 41 years was wonderful. Have dinner at Jimmy's in Beverly hills or The Palm on Snata Monica Blvd. West L.A. I know L.A. and the beach towns very well...so ask me. The photo is of Rodeo Drive in Beverly hills. Too many great memories to count.I do miss a lot about L.A. especially the great restaurants and the LAKERS. Some of the beach towns I miss also.Please see my Los Angeles travelogue for pix.

Los Angeles Tip

by jheller

I wouldn't exactly call it a fond memory, but when I think of Los Angeles, the first thing that comes to mind is the amazing traffic on the 6-lane highways. Aside from miles long traffic jams (on Friday night I think it must have stretched all the way to Las Vegas!). But while it is crowded, driving is more relaxed than in Holland. I remember that at one time, while driving on the most left lane (!), our exit suddenly came up. All we needed to do is signal and we actually made the exit!

Universal Studios

by vigi

Next morning, we drove to Universal Studios immediate after breakfast. It was very fun, I think it's more interesting than Disney Land, at least much better than the Tokyo Disney (I've only been to Euro Disney and Tokyo Disney). We spent 7 hours here, instead of original plan of half day visit.

The Map is Wrong!

by PartyRambo

Don't go knocking on any doors expecting to find movie stars & musicians.
With too many stop-and-start careers, failures and successes, and secrets & lies, no single map of the stars' homes will be accurate.

Here, the homeowner has obviously had enough of those of us parking across the street to take a picture or two...

Comments