535 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, California, 90071, United States

Booking.com Priceline.com Hilton.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Grantman's Profile Photo

Oasis in Downtown L.A.

Beautiful rooms with big fluffy beds and great showers, a very quiet and peaceful oasis in the heart of Downtown. High class bar and very good restaurant and rooftop spa. Excellent service.

Unique Quality: Excellent location, service, and rooms.

• Stasigrace's Profile Photo

A touch of Europe in LA

Checkers has long been considered one of the most romantic accomodations in Los Angeles. It has a very European Boutique flavor to it. The staff is very nice and everything is shiny and pretty. The restaurant, which used to house the chef who moved to French Laundry, is pretty good still. The bar is a lovely place for a drink (altho the addition of a TV to draw happy hour crowds detracts from the otherwise sophisticated ambiance).

Unique Quality: The rooftop pool & spa are simply wonderful. There is nothing more romantic or peaceful than sititng in this hot tub, late at night when it's a bit chilly outside, and looking out into the misty LA skyline. It's just a dream.

On Valentine's day, Checkers does a really well-priced deal that usually includes dinner and a room. The year we did it, it was only $179 total.

Directions: Around the corner from the Library (take a walk through the gardens), and across the street from the Biltmore.

More about Hilton Checkers Los Angeles

not bad

Just got back from a week end in Los Angeles.The Hilton Checkers was not bad ,but not spectacular.The decor is nice,but rooms are small, beds are comfortable and staff are freindly.We went to the lounge at 10:50pm and unfortunately were told they were closing so we had to proceed across the street to The Biltmore,great service great food great ambiance...might consider staying there next time.No great disappointmet at Checkers ,but nothing outstanding either.

a very cozy stay

by TripAdvisor Member politicsdc

This hotel is very cozy and comfortable. Located in downtown Los Angeles, the Hilton Checkers has a very friendly staff, a nice decor that gives it a boutique feel, very comfortable beds and plush pillows. I felt like I could stay there for quite some time. There is a rooftop deck with a pool and very nice views of the L.A. skyscrapers, but the pool is pretty tiny -- the photos make it look much larger than it really is. There's also a fitness room, but it's basically a few cardio machines and a set of dumbbells.

Slept like a baby

by TripAdvisor Member ZoomLady

I stayed at the Hilton Checkers Jan. 5 on business. The room was very nice, clean and well appointed. I don't usually sleep well in hotel rooms, but the bed, linens and quiet of the room helped me sleep through the night soundly. The hotel staff could have been more helpful about pointing out the bar/restaurant, roof-top pool, etc. None of this was mentioned upon check-in. I would stay here again, knowing I'd sleep well and have a luxurious room in downtown LA.

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ralan

After rading some of the reviews I was nervous about the priceline offer on the Hilton Checkers I received. The hotel was excellent, far exceeding my expectations. My fiancee and I attended an opera at the Dorothy Chandler Paviliion which is abouit half a mile away. Although the hotel offers shuttle service to the Pavilion, the doorman arranged a towncar for transport. We left the opera expecting to wait for the shuttle and found that a towncar was waiting for us. (Theoretically they offer the complementary shuttle service only for hotel guests that have dinner.) The hotel room was very neat and very clean if a bit on the small side, but not too small. The restaurant was excellent and the prices were a bit above average but the food was very, very good. Our room was on the third floor with a view of the high rises in downown LA. The windows were large and we had as good a view as a 3rd floor room can offer. The rooftop pool was small but the rooftop offered a nice view of downtown LA as well. Overall, the hotel staff were excellent and always tried to be helpful.

A bit above average

by TripAdvisor Member SFAnonymous

The Checkers is taking a bit of a dive of late, but it still has a classic charm. I stayed there for two nights for business and I was put off by major stains on my carpet and by the overrall feeling that the place has not been kept up. The place is not equipped with a decent business center, so if you need to receive or send faxes you are at the mercy of staff who seemed almost indifferent about helping in this regard. But I like the cozy library feel of a bar near the lobby but it closes at 11pm. I did greatly appreciate the bellhop's assistance on getting me a towncar to the Burbank freeway during rush hour when I was in a jam to get out of town.

Very good downtown LA

by TripAdvisor Member jchristensen99

Very good downtown LA hotel - Above average luxury rooms. We had great service and an excellent bfast. Nice small pool and hot tub on the roof. You will be happy with this hotel - we spent $86 via priceline.
Only negative is the potential view (anoth building) if you are on the woring side of the hotel.

Nice weekend deal, but not what it used to be

by TripAdvisor Member kiapet

I was very excited when we got this Priceline deal for around $70/night over a weekend - I think it's pretty common for the Checkers to have good weekend pricing, like all the hotels downtown, because downtown is a ghost town on weekends. At any rate, the bed was nice enough, but the room was small, dark, faced a wall, was missing pretty much all the advertised amenities, and was a little too dirty for my taste. The front desk staff was not very friendly or helpful, but we were only there for one night and maybe the Priceline thing threw them off. If you don't want to pay for valet, there's a parking garage next door that's pretty convenient. All in all, not bad, especially considering the price, but I expected more from a Hilton.

Great comfortable beds

by TripAdvisor Member ResortSpaLady

I slept so well at this hotel so the main thing I remember is the super comfy beds and linens. Bathrooms are ok but nothing special. Rooftop pools are great but they kicked us out one night because the people in the suite below were complaining about the noise. Why would anyone put a room under a jacuzzi with jets is confusing. We were not even drinking or partying, just talking over the noise. With that aside make sure you take a dip at night for the view. The lounge was modern and nice. Room service and restaurant food was great but the service LOUSY. Some of the wait staff were just down right rude. Consistency was a problem. Traveling with several so in comparing notes we found quality and presentation of menu to vary widely. If I am in downtown area and need a comfy good night sleep I would stay again. Or better yet, check out the ritz carlton next door.

Bevery Hills to Downtown LA

by torototammy

Hi all,

I'm planning to go to Giant Venture 2004 at Westin Bonaventure on New Year's Eve. Hope to be there around 10pm.

I'll be staying in Beverly Hills and have a car but not familiar with driving to Downtown. Is it a good idea to drive there? If so, how long should it take to get there and how's the parking situation? Or taking a taxi would be a better choice? I'm a little worried about driving back after the party.

Thanks in advance.
Tammy

by Stasigrace

Don't do public transportation. There will not be a viable, safe option for you that night.

Parking will actually be difficult because there are at least 3 other large parties/events/raves going on in Downtown that evening. I hadn't even heard about the one you're mentioning. It's gonna be a busy night there!

Really your best option is to take a cab. It will be safer and you won't have to deal with parking or walking or anything like that. There will be tons of cabs outside your party, I'm sure.

If it's an option, you may want to seriously consider staying downtown instead. There are plenty of hotels, it's cheaper than BH, and then you'll be right there.

by torototammy

Thanks giampireo6 and Stasigrace,

I think I'll take a cab. It would be the best if I could stay at Westin Bonaventure or a hotel nearby on that day but I've already booked my favorite hotel in BH.

Regards,
Tammy

by dpeirce

Stay at the Westin Bonaventure for the night.
Yes, it is expensive, but less than getting a cab to and back from another hotel. I don't recommend going to another hotel in the area when you are drunk...

by Stasigrace

Yeah, that's a good idea.

To be VERY close to the Bonaventure (walking distance - even when drunk), you could stay there, the STandard (not too expensive), Hilton Checkers, Wilshire Grand, or Hyatt. THese are all nice hotels in a safe area. The Standard is almost next door to Bonaventure and a very hip place.

Good luck!