Hollywood Hotel

1160 North Vermont Avenue, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, 90029, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Convenient located

Ramada

Overall, customer service was good, although, they do not know much about the public transportation system.

Positives:
    Our room came with ~24 inch TV, which was really nice. Also, it came with a microwave, which is also very convenient. Last, it is located relatively close to a Metro station (about 1 ½ blocks) and a Rite Aid.

Negatives:
    There were some faults with the room.
    One, the refrigerator in our room doesn’t work. It stayed at the same temperature, which was at room temperature, no matter how cold we set it. The room would be cooler than the fridge. Our box of ice cream turned into strawberry milk.
    Two, our shower did not work correctly; it was either scalding hot or ice cold. The screw that attached the handle to the plumbing was loose and only offers one temperature depending how you turn the handle.
    Three, their continental breakfast was lacking in so many ways. Same watered down eggs and sausage look alikes each morning. There is a reason why it is complementary.
    Four, the hotel is located in a not so great neighborhood. I felt great need to dash from the Metro station, especially when it gets dark out. Also, there are constant homeless people and/or drunks to dodge.

All in all, there’s always room for improvement. If you don’t mind living in a not so great neighborhood and/or want to live close to their Metro system, you might want to consider this place.

Directions: Located about 1.5 blocks away from the Metro Red line Vermont-Santa Monica station.

• yellowbell's Profile Photo

Near Universal Studios

This Ramada Inn is situated in the dark part of town that even a local told us not to wander around at night. Accommodation is cheap and includes breakfast of cereals and pastries but the receptionists kept bungling our telephone messages left by our friends. Imagine our disappointment when the receptionist told our visitor that we went to Universal Studios but in reality we just strolled for a few minutes to the nearby grocery store. Therefore, we missed our appointment to see this friend who drove for an hour to Ramada Inn just to see us.

Unique Quality: This Ramada is conveniently located since it's just 2 blocks away from the nearest Metro Station (Vermont) which can take you to Universal Studios.

There are flyers about places to visit around Los Angeles and San Diego.

Parking is also available if you requested it upon booking.

Pool is under renovation when we were there.

• saruzza's Profile Photo

Quite and near everything

The hotel is very clean, it's near Hollywood and the Universl Studios and it's very easy to find!
    I went here twice because I was very pleased by the service and they have a nice breakfast too.

Unique Quality: They have a pool.

• Perfect Room for my Needs

The general manager personally arranged for my upgrade into room 142 and I surely appreciate the effort and the room. The room was perfect for my needs. Thank you Ramada Hollywood to grant my request for an upgrade. I hope to stay with you again soon.

Unique Quality: The hotel has a great buffet continental breakfast which is FREE. You can even make your own waffles. Nice staff too.

Directions: In Hollywood across the street from a Metro Station which can take you almost evrywhere.

More about Hollywood Hotel

Run away!

Even if you have a pre-paid, non-refundable reservation - run the opposite direction. We had two rooms, so we know this wasn't just a fluke. Following is just a "short-list" of incidents . . .

1) Misrepresenting how close they are to attractions (check maps closely!)
2) Black fuzzy mold in bathroom (Ceiling, floor tile, walls)
3) Carpet in room wet (at least six feet into the room)
4) Pool green with algae (we were told it was too cold to swim anyway!)
5) Zero noise insulation
6) Refusal to allow more than two pillows per room per night (you can trade your dirty ones in for new ones each day)
7) Cigarette burns in our dirty bedspread in the non-smoking room
8) No heating or cooling allowed when temp is between 65 and 75 (they will loan you a fan for your room if your hot - and a space heater if you are cold!)
9) On our third night there (new year's eve!) someone walked in our room at 8:00 p.m. IT HAD BEEN GIVEN TO THEM! Thankfully, we happened to be in our room, and the people it was rented to were as appalled as we were.
10) Non-existent managament
11) Concern for safety
12) No extra towels "allowed" - yes, they actually use this word! We were not "allowed" to have extra towels, like we were some small children asking for more candy!
13) A general SCUZZY feeling throughout the hotel.

Whenever we would tell someone what hotel we were at they would get a very perplexed look on their faces - as if there was some secret we didn't know about.

I have plenty of photos, and a longer list - please feel free to contact me at zerostarsforramada@yahoo.com.

Please keep in mind - if it weren't New Year's Eve and Rose Bowl weekend - we'd have been out of there in five minutes. Unfortunately - everything was completely booked throughout the city. We even had other hotels who toko pity on us communicating with each other trying to get us combined 3 nights of rooms. This was truly the worst hotel I have ever stayed at - and in combination with the lack of interest in even addressing the issues - I'm sure it was the worst one we will ever experience. The lack of courtesy and customer service by both the staff and Ramada itself was unbelievable. Never a Ramada again!

Spare yourselves (especially if you have children). If you have any doubts please contact me for photos just to be sure this isn't an exaggerated effort. If anything, our disgust is understated. This is the Bates Motel/Motel He**/and any other creepy, dirty place you can think of all rolled into one!

Pleasantly surprised!

I read the reviews of this hotel only days before leaving on vacation, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found clean and very acceptable accomodations and not the "Bates Motel Revisited". We travel quite a bit, and I'm particularly critical of hotels. While the location was not exactly "Hollywood", it was only a short distance from Griffith Park.

We stayed three nights for the Rose Bowl, and the only night I heard any noise from the room whatsoever was New Years Eve. Our room was on the second floor, and faced the courtyard. The bathroom was very good sized, and the room was adequate (though the bed and pillows a bit hard like all hotels) The staff was accomodating and quick, extra towels were brought up to the room within 20 minutes of calling the front desk. The included continental breakfast was above average, however there wasn't any fresh fruit, which would have been nice.

Overall, I think some of the previous reviewers were ridiculously critical, and I can say in all honesty, this was not only a perfectly acceptable business class hotel, but the least expensive one we've stayed at all year. Only $79 per night over a holiday weekend. I would stay here again.

Ghetto hotel

This was truly the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. Just stayed there in december 04. The rooms were filled with mold and the carpets were wet from the condenstation on the windows. The drapes were ripped. It is truly in a very scary neighborhood not convenently located close to anything. The staff are incompentent and very rude. The pool was green and the fitness room was a joke. Scared to walk around there at night. Stay away!!!!!!!!

Honest Review from Average Girl

I stayed at this hotel in Feb of 2003 and I thought it was fine, awesome price, you get free breakfast (croisants & fruit) the hotel inside was nice, our room was totally clean, and I found the staff was really helpful, even after the guy I was sharing a room with was rude to them. The person I stayed with had a BIG problem with the noise in this hotel (as he did with almost every hotel), even though I thought it was totally ignoreable. Personally when I go to LA, I'm out all day until I'm dead tired and when I get back to the hotel I crash like a brick, and then I'm up and out as quick as possible the next day - so as long as the bed doesn't stick and the bathroom looks sanitary, and they're not like, drilling a hole in the ceiling I'm a happy camper, and this was more than satisfactory. So if you don't care if your hotel isn't the "ritz" and can sleap through a little bit of hallway noise this hotel is totally fine. You would have to have a car here cuz it's not really walking distance to anything, but the parking is free and there's LOTS of it - basically if you're not a hotel snob this hotel will suit you just fine, just as most hotels you stay in probably do.

Loved this hotel again and again!

by TripAdvisor Member lilfish5626

My husband and I recently stayed at the Ramada Inn on a recent trip to California. This was our second stay at the hotel and once again, we loved it! The staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were large and very clean. The lobby and hotel are tastefully decorated. The continental breakfast was fabulous as well!! The room we got overlooked the nice courtyard.
Unlike other reviewers, we LOVED the neighbourhood! This is the only area in LA that we would stay as we were a couple of blocks away from the trendy Los Feliz area of Hollywood, which has lots of great shopping and dining locales. We even saw a few celebrities in the area!! If you keep driving up N. Vermont Avenue, (where you pass lots of beautiful homes) you will find yourself in Griffith Park and further up into the Hills, Griffith Observatory (which was in the movie"Rebel Without a Cause") and there is a fantastic view of the Hollywood sign and the city. The Ramada is also in a good location to be able to see the other popular attractions of Hollywood, but not be right smack in the middle of it.
We strongly disagree that it is in a "ghetto" neighbourhood. A few buildings around the hotel are vacant, and it is in a more residential area- thus, perhaps the negative analogy, but as you walk up the street, it begins to bustle into a great little village.

We will definately stay at the Ramada Inn for a 3rd visit the next time we are on vacation!

~Fabulous Hotel for the price!

I just spend a week at this hotel (Feb 6-12th) and couldnt have been more satisfied for what i paid. The hotel is VERY clean, you get free parking, free breakfast and despite the other reviews the staff was very helpful with directions and anything we needed. The subway is right across the street and it only a 10min ride to Universal Studios. It is not in the worst "ghetto" but in a non-tourist part of the city and in no way did i feel threatened walking around late at night. The decoration of the hotel is tasteful and up to date. My only complaint was that another guest kept creeping me out and harassing me which in no way was the hotels fault.

The people that think it is soo horible are obviously spoiled people that only expect the best and expect that no matter how much they pay. Stay here, you will enjoy it.

should i change my hotel?

by ozbelle

Hi there
Im a bit... ok a lot paranoid about the hotel I have booked due to safety issues - the Holiday Inn Hollywood - and so I was thinking of changing it. Is the Ramada Inn Hollywood in a better location or is it nearby the Holiday Inn. One review I read said "I have never felt so unsafe in my life" ... it kind of freaked me out a little. The parking fee of almost $20 Aussie dollars a day was a bit of a shock. I guess it wouldn't be safe NOT to park in the hotel.
Anyway if anyone has any tips on hotels that'd be great. Im looking to stay in the Price range of Holiday Inn - so Santa Monica is out.

RE: should i change my hotel?

by joesorce

Holiday Inn on Highland is MUCH better location than the Ramada. I would also check the Comfort Suites across from the Holiday Inn and go with whichever of the two has the best rate.
You can walk to the subway and bus from the Holiday Inn. It is a long two blocks walk, and a very busy street, but safe and easy.

RE: RE: should i change my hotel?

by LubaLorine

If it's the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn, I found it perfectly fine. Have met business colleagues there before. I belive that's the one on Highland. No place in Hollywood, or anywhere near downtown LA for that matter, feels particularly safe to me. Just part of being in the big city. You are not in a terrible area, however. Just use basic safety precautions. Parking in LA is quite expensive as a whole. Do keep in mind that a few extra dollars spent to stay in Santa Monica is worth it. You save on transportation costs and it's much nicer and safer, in my opinion, with more of what California is famous for = beach, scenery, shopping, nightlife and restaurants. You can walk nearly everywhere there and there's a town trolley that takes you up and down the Promenade area and the beach all day. Look up the Santa Monica convention and visitor's bureau website for more info and more hotels. As long as you're not staying right on the beachfront, there should be plenty of reasonably priced options nearby. Maybe the CVB can help you with this. Sometimes peace of mind is worth a few extra dollars...

Good luck and safe trip! Lorine

Comments