Hotel Angeleno - A Joie De Vivre Boutique Hotel

Hotel Angeleno
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Hotel Closer To Los Angeles Landmarks

Hotel was very nice with its modern facilities, interior, exterior, and attractions that are closer to this. This hotel was very nice to enjoy all holidays and perfect for staying.

Unique Quality: fitness center, pool, satellite television, internet access, coffee maker in guest rooms, refrigerator, shuttle services

• Cruiseone2003's Profile Photo

Coolest place to stay near the Getty Museum

Since I'm a travel agent, I like to check out hotels for my clients to stay at. I have a preference for boutique, modern properties that are a good value but not necessarily cheap. The Angeleno is a former Holiday Inn Property purchased by the Joie de Vivre company. The Angeleno sits below the Getty Museum, is in the city of BelAir with easy access to Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Westwood (UCLA) Hollywood and Sherman Oaks/Universal City in the Valley.

Unique Quality: I met with the sales manager who was nice enough to take me on a tour. I immediately liked the South Beach feel to it. The lobby would be a good place to read your paper and enjoy a coffee and danish from the snack bar located right behind the lobby. The front desk was staffed with 2-3 smiling employees, all very helpful. The lobby has a view of the small, heated pool with cabana style couches and padded lounge chairs to take in the L.A. Sun. There are three room types offered, a Standard King, executive king and a double. All rooms have top of the line bedding and furnishings, wireless high speed internet access, CD player, 30" plasma screen TV, complimentary HBO, hair dryer, coffee maker, in room safe and in room dining if you so choose.. Since this is a round building the views are probably some of the best in L.A. My favorite is the Downtown L.A. Skyline, next to that is Santa Mnica, the other side was the Getty Museum and then Belair. The hotel sits right next to the busy 405 but the sound proofing was adequate, I can't say you don't hear the traffic but not enough to where you couldn't get any sleep. If if you noise sensitive ask for a room on the opposite side. On the top of The Angeleno is a lounge, full bar, and restaurant.

Pricing per night is about $200 plus taxes which for the L.A. area is a bargain. I found hotels in the area that were $350+ per night. There is no free parking, valet parking is $18 a day. There is adjacent street parking but be sure to read the signs so you are not illegally parked.

Directions: W. Sunset Blvd @ the 405, just look for the white round building, at night it's lit up with purple lighting.

• Nix1's Profile Photo

Holiday Inn

I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. The location is between two freeways, the rooms are noisy and dull and had the smallest bathroom I have ever seen.

The lobby was really horrible looking. All in all, this place doesn't deserve a 3 star rating, I would probably rate it as a 1 or 2 star.

More about Hotel Angeleno - A Joie De Vivre Boutique Hotel

Horrible Customer Service

by TripAdvisor Member mbb90

We stayed at the Hotel Angeleno for three nights while we attended a conference.

I can say that the bed was quite comfortable. However, there is little I can say that is positive about the rest of the experience.

The front desk service (which also acts as the concierge) was horrible. The hotel advertises that they have a shuttle service to anywhere in a three mile radius. However, the front desk didn’t tell us until the last day that the shuttle service would take us to local restaurants. When I asked the front desk for evening entertainment recommendations, they only knew that there was no entertainment in the upstairs bar. The front desk stated that they would call us about entertainment options but never did. The few times that we used the shuttle, it did not arrive at the time indicated.

The air conditioning indicated that it went down to 60 degrees, but the room never seemed to get cooler than 67 degrees.

I ordered room service and attempted to order a beer. As I went down the list on the menu, I was informed that they did not carry three of the eight beers anymore. Oddly, one of the beers they “no longer carried”, Sierra Nevada, was available in hotel gift shop, but room service refused to offer me this beer. I had to go down to the gift shop and purchase the beer myself even though the restaurant and gift shop were both owned by the hotel!!!

Is this the type of service that you should receive at $175 per night?

Small But Huge

by TripAdvisor Member virginiamayo

When we checked into the Hotel Angeleno I was impressed with the front desk attendant who was overly pleasant. Just knew this was going to be a great stay. We were kept waiting for over 20 minutes because she couldn’t locate the “paperwork” (on their end) after my handing her the paperwork that Priceline had sent me for them, but she kept thanking me for my patience. Our room was clean; the linens were a nice thread count. The rooms are extremely small and laid out poorly. Barely bigger than a Motel 6 room. No closet, no hooks to hang your towels. The soap/lotion/shampoo and conditioners were nice and smelled great. After freshening up we went to the bar, ordered 2 generic drinks. My bourbon and soda was “Jim Beam” so it wasn’t like they poured exquisite brands, yet our tab was $21.00 for two drinks. The view was nice. On our morning with our “Privacy Please” sign on our door with the deadbolt locked, a maid walked in at 10:30 announcing she was told she had to come in and clean. I asked her what she would have done if we’d been sleeping but she asked me to repeat the question numerous times since she couldn’t understand English that well. We stayed there 3 nights and with the exception of the initial check-in, the staff acted like we were strangers. I’m surmising they save the pleasant façade for the new guests checking in. After that, they assume a “We’ve gotcha” attitude and couldn’t care less if you like it or lump it. The location is awful, the “shuttle” is on their whim, and overall the hotel emits a feeling of a shabby hotel with a recent facelift trying to be a 4 or 5 star hotel. Not even close. I’d rate it a 2 star at most. I must tell you that the bellman we had was extremely helpful and the driver who took us on our one and only complimentary shuttle ride was a hoot. Very entertaining guy. The restaurant menu and lounge beverage prices are laughable. The overall appearance is not pleasant. If you like lovely comforters and nice sheets, this is the place for you. The sheets, comforters, toiletries, bellmen valet attendants and drivers are the only things they’ve got in their favor.

Sleep on a cloud

by TripAdvisor Member georgesf

This is my second stay at the Angeleno Hotel in Brentwood. While the rooms are ok for a stylish hotel, it is the bed and bedding that makes staying here a pleasure. The linen is soft and the mattress and duvet cover are heavenly.

The hotel staff is courteous and helpful and room service is prompt.

Great value in LA

by TripAdvisor Member kwlSf

Located right at the intersection of 405 and Sunset Blvd., the Angeleno Hotel is a perfect location for visiting UCLA, Westwood and the Getty Museum. The service is warm and welcoming. The rooms are small but comfortable. In spite of the location just off the freeway there is no problem with noise in the room. Compared to other hotels in LA and Santa Monica that charge double the price for fewer amenities, this is a great choice.

Whoa This place is Expensive!

by TripAdvisor Member MollySanLuisObispo

Oh My!

We booked this hotel thru the main number. We noticed that the price was considerably higher than when we were there before when it was the Holiday Inn. We were looking forward to seeing the renovations and they were very nice, however, it should not be financed on the backs of the customers.

I was also appalled at the term - mandatory valet parking. At $18 per day, It should have been discussed when the reservation was made. Ok, our mistake.

Now, on to the restaurant. Make sure to refinance your house before setting foot in there. A glass of wine is $17 and a very small appetizer (2 tiny eggrolls) is $16. My advice: Take a cab to Santa Monica. Believe me, it will save you tons of money.

Overall, we won't be back- there are much nicer hotels for the same price or less in West LA.

Great!

by TripAdvisor Member zeogo

We stayed here in February 2007 and absolutely loved it! The rooms are very comfortable with Plasma TV's and great beds. The hotel has a lot of amenities like a free shuttle to Getty and other nearby locations and the staff are in general, very helpful. Yes, this hotel is expensive. Valet is $18 a day but this is the norm EVERYWHERE in LA. The restaurant is expensive too, but it is in the league of other $50 p/p restaurants in LA. Also, if you don't want to spend that much, you can have sandwiches, snacks and salads in the restaurants buzzing lounge, they are absolutely massive and around $12. The location of the hotel is excellent as well, it's only a matter of minutes a way from Malibu, Beverly Hills, Hollywood and 20 minutes from LAX. The pool and gym are small, but not busy and the gym is well stocked with various machines. There is also a Business Center with 2 Windows Computers and a Mac. The internet connection is extremely slow but it does the job and it's free. Printer is free also. However, I am writing this review on the discounted price I paid. I don't think you would be as pleased if you paid the rack rate of the hotel, but who does anymore?

Good night's sleep despite the 405, and well-priced for the West LA area

When I checked in and reminded them that I'd requested a room furthest from the freeway but was given a room facing south at the exit/on ramp and w/ a view of the freeway, I wasn't too pleased. The hum of constant traffic was pretty continuous until after 9pm. I suppose it's better than being on a large boulevard and having direct loud traffic screeching down the street here and there thru the night. Surprisingly, I slept soundly until morning traffic on the 405 served as my alarm clock at about 6:30AM. I would think/hope that if you're there during the weekends, it would start later. Maybe they'll put in new double-paned sliding doors to the balcony once they break even.

The room was 99% clean (stains under the glass protective top near the TV area). It's been redone in sleek modern decor and furnishings for the most part - instead of the Herman Miller chair I was supposed to have at the work station as their website advertised, there was an old Holiday Inn banquet style chair probably left over when they bought the old hotel. Did the Herman Miller chair go kapputt? The shower pressure was one of the best I've experienced in a hotel. But due to the very dim lighting, I would not recommend this for business people. I may only stay there again over a weekend. but I would not stay on weekdays for any reason as it's not really close to anything affordable/reasonable to dine at but chain restaurants around UCLA.

Hotel near the Getty center...

by Jeannette1

Can someone recommend a medium-priced hotel close to the Getty Center in Los Angeles? We'd like to find something for less than $150 per night.
Thanks.

Thanks, Yubert.
I was researching hotels one line and the Holiday Inn sounds like a good choice.

Yubert,
The Holiday Inn (the spheric building) has been changed to the Angelino Hotel and rates are pretty high $189 per night + tax. We are invited to a wedding and that's where they are booking the rooms. I was trying to find something cheaper because we'd like to spend a few days in L.A.
Any other ideas in that neighborhood ?

by tracys2cents

Check out Hilgard House around the corner in Westwood near UCLA. Safe neighborhood and walking distance to several restaurants. about 2 miles from the Angeleno. If you don't have a car, the Citybus will take you from Westwood to the Angeleno and back.

by Jeannette1

Thanks, Tracy. I'll check it out.

Tracy,
This was a great referral. I just booked 2 nights there. Very reasonable rates if you book on line and the reviews on tripadvisor were good. Free parking and complimentary continental breakfast.
Thank you so much.

by tracys2cents

If I remember correctly the parking lot is rather small. If you have a van or SUV it could be bothersome.

The neighborhood is nice, just frat houses and apartments, two blocks away you have an upscale grocery and a drug store, there is a Whole Foods Market another block or so. Tons of eateries, movie theatres, etc....be sure to take a walk through UCLA campus especially the sculpture garden. Check to see what star-filled play might be at the Geffen Theatre, short walk to your hotel. You have maybe 15 minute drive to the ocean.

The bus to the Getty is the 761, big red bus usually, you could take it to the Angeleno Hotel and save on their $12.parking. Bus is $1.25 and it comes about every half hour.

Tracy,
The parking at the Angelino is actually $18 in addition to the $189+tax for the room. I think a lot of people are staying there because that's what the groom's parents suggested. I think it's too high for our budget. I'd rather spend money on something else....like a good restaurant :-)
We will have a small rental car, so no need for a bus.
Thank you again for the good advice.

Comments